Author Topic: A Song of Arts and Sciences: A Game of Colleges DOWNLOAD  (Read 14280 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
A Song of Arts and Sciences: A Game of Colleges DOWNLOAD
« on: May 02, 2013, 11:18:21 PM »

Being Part One and thus the first Beta of "A Song of Arts and Sciences"

RELEASE V1

This is the first release of the Game of Colleges mod. It is still in beta version, there are still bugs, do save regularly when playing. Thanks to everyone who's worked on this so far and apologies for anywhere it falls down. This is a huge project, and in just a few months we've managed to create a large-scale total conversion mod which we hope you will enjoy.

INSTALLATION
You need Rome: Total War 1.5 to play this mod (not Barbarian Invasion or Alexander). To install the mod, simply put this folder under your Rome - Total War folder (so Rome - Total War/Cambridge/data/otherstuff) and copy the shortcut provided to your desktop. You may well need to edit the shortcut and change the path to your Rome - Total War folder, or simply copy your existing Rome: Total War shortcut and add the command -mod:Cambridge to the end of the shortcut path. If you want the shortcut to look right, the .ico icon file has been provided directly inside the Cambridge folder.

To get the intro video working, you need to find it in the Cambridge folder (it's at the top level, called rome_title) and replace the original RTW movie which will be in Rome - Total War/data/fmv. We strongly advise renaming your old intro movie to "rome_title_old" then putting the new one in. You can then rename them back if you want the RTW intro again.

SHORT FEATURE LIST
  * Many new units including townies, bedders, historians, NatScis, Classicists, ASNACs, and tourists
  * Eight playable factions: The Outlands, The Republic of South Cambridge, The River Entente, The Backs Alliance, The Western Treaty, The Sainsbury's Pact, the Hill COllege Confederacy, and The Exarchate
  * New Loading screens
  * Appropriately themed buildings available
  * Full campaign mode covering Cambridge from Girton to Homerton
  * New faction icons, banners, and game background
  * Game of Thrones style intro video when you load the mod

DOWNLOAD LINKS
http://www.moddb.com/mods/a-game-of-colleges/downloads/a-game-of-colleges-beta-edition
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:21:30 AM by Jubal »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: A Song of Arts and Sciences: A Game of Colleges DOWNLOAD
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 11:46:36 PM »
Well there goes my evening! Great work

New fellow

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 12:29:06 AM »
Hiya ok so this is probably going to be a series of really dumb questions. But I am a student at Cambridge so REALLY want to play this (have been looking forward to for ages). However I've never owned/played any form of Total War before so could you explain what I need  to do. I assume I buy Rome: Total War and then download the 1.5 "patch" and then follow your instructions here. But is it still possible to buy Rome : Total War and is it available on Mac? I don't want to spend money on the wrong or too updated version. Many many thanks and well done!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 12:32:17 AM by New fellow »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 12:33:59 AM »
Yes, you can still buy RTW (you can buy it as a download from a lot of online retailers these days) and if you're buying it new it will probably already be patched to 1.5. I think you do need to get a mac-specific version of the main game, and from what I've read you should otherwise be able to install the mod fairly normally.  :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

New fellow

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 01:05:22 AM »
Thank you- that's really good. I've downloaded v 1.2.1 "gold edition" off itunes for Mac. But I'm now very confused. I opened the link posted and it downloaded something called iLivid which has now come up in an iLivid Download Manager box. I don't understand how you "simply put this folder under your Rome-Total war folder" :s

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 01:17:22 AM »
Thank you- that's really good. I've downloaded v 1.2.1 "gold edition" off itunes for Mac. But I'm now very confused. I opened the link posted and it downloaded something called iLivid which has now come up in an iLivid Download Manager box. I don't understand how you "simply put this folder under your Rome-Total war folder" :s

Yeah I got that too, it's the free site trying to cash in. If you go back to the page below the two BIG download and play buttons there's a smaller download button which downloads the zip file.

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 04:23:28 AM »
So I've been playing a bit tonight, one CTD but given that vanilla Rome does that a fair bit it doesn't seem major, couldn't reproduce it anyway.

Couple of comments though, the use of mountains works well to simulate narrow streets, but I feel it gives the defender too much of an advantage in field battles, since by the time the armies clash the attackers troops are mostly exhausted. Also, the financial situation seems a lot harsher than in standard Rome, perhaps it's just bad management on my behalf, but it seems to be rather difficult to maintain any form of army and keep even tiny garrisons at home without running up huge debts.

EDIT: Had another CTD, but they always occur an hour or two into play, which standard sometimes does so I suspect it's an issue with me. However, for some reason whilst playing as the republic the arts and sciences buildings at market square and the arts buildings in New Museums site don't produce units. I've not had anything at all similar at other cities, it seems rather odd.

EDIT 2: Had a strange graphical bug, I've sent the screengrab direct to Jubal, but it essentially involved brief invisibility of one of my armies on the campaign map. Sainsburys also seems to have issues with arts and sciences recruitment, looking at the building details it seems they don't list any units as recruitable from those structures. One final minor niggle, the catering staff seem to use a slingers sound effect when they fire, which although it's nothing major is a little strange
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 04:41:55 AM by TTG4 »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 09:31:56 AM »
The upkeep on porters seems to be pretty high, I should probably cut that down and/or boost the base farming level of most of the provinces...

Penmania

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 02:24:59 AM »
Hi,
I've been lurking for a while and played for a few hours now it's done. Deeply, deeply impressed! I have a few hopefully constructive thoughts:

1) Impassable forests instead of mountains for the roads? As TTG4 says they tend to break field battles. No idea how long it would take you to redraw the map though :/

2) Is it intended that the Jesus punt dock blocks the river route to the west?

3) On the economy point, I had quite some trouble getting an economy up and running as the Sainsbury's Pact, and it seemed to fluctuate wildly depending on how many porters I had. Also a problem I encountered that I've never had in vanilla RTW was that cranking tax up to very high on the early settlements led to negative population growth, so I had to push farming/Ioanna shrines to get anywhere at all.

Thanks for all the work you've clearly put in on this, it's a great mod!

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 02:55:31 AM »
Hi,
I've been lurking for a while and played for a few hours now it's done. Deeply, deeply impressed! I have a few hopefully constructive thoughts:

1) Impassable forests instead of mountains for the roads? As TTG4 says they tend to break field battles. No idea how long it would take you to redraw the map though :/

2) Is it intended that the Jesus punt dock blocks the river route to the west?

3) On the economy point, I had quite some trouble getting an economy up and running as the Sainsbury's Pact, and it seemed to fluctuate wildly depending on how many porters I had. Also a problem I encountered that I've never had in vanilla RTW was that cranking tax up to very high on the early settlements led to negative population growth, so I had to push farming/Ioanna shrines to get anywhere at all.

Thanks for all the work you've clearly put in on this, it's a great mod!

Good point on the population growth, I've also been having an issue with this. Currently I just seemed to have a huge influx of generals, had about twenty to spare, so my economy was crippled, considered killing them off, but instead am using them to slaughter my way through as best I can! Having the occasional CTD, but I suspect that's just my laptop being rubbish.

Some buildings have warnings about placement text. For the republic they are: Ports, some temples (though that may be because you're editing them) and execution squares.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 10:16:19 PM »
So I've been working on this, fixed some of the major building issues.

I'm making some of the impassability maps wider and height maps slimmer, making it less likely that there will be lots of uber-steep battles hopefully, I think the probability of getting a hyper-steep fight should now be a lot lower.

I will try and fix the punt docks later.

Oddly, economically life seems to have gotten better again, probably a result of my building fixes, though I'll put a few more tweaks in.

Dimos

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 09:20:51 AM »
Congrats for the release. Looks neat, gonna try it out soon.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 10:12:21 AM by Dimos »
Team member of: Europe 1080 / Southern Realms / Britannia 1100 Gold

Floom

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 10:40:05 AM »
Hi

I know that it has been 4 months since the last post on this thread but I have just discovered this and would really like to play it. However, when I try and download it 2 shared.com says that "The file link that you requested is not valid. Please contact link publisher or try to make a search". could you help?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 10:45:03 AM »
I can help, I didn't realise the download would have expired. Might be a few hours before I can get a new one up, but rest assured that I'm on the case.

Work is going to resume on improving the mod at some stage, too, probably after term starts again...

Also welcome to the Exilian!  :)

Floom

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 10:59:33 AM »
Thanks, I look forward too it  :)