Author Topic: Suggestions Thread  (Read 8446 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Suggestions Thread
« on: August 20, 2013, 12:52:58 PM »
Suggest things! Have ideas! What in this steamy clocky punky musket and pike and sword-y world would you like to see? :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Suggestions Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 01:21:28 PM »
Steam powered futuristic stuff. Like maybe steampunk style spaceships or cyborgs or mechs. That sort of thing.
Most effective elected official. Ever. (not counting Jubal)

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 02:00:01 PM »
That is, I'm afraid, not going to be in there. GS&S is specifically designed at the lowest tech end of steampunk/clockpunk: they haven't even got regular powered flight. The theme is generally slightly gritty, a bit gothic, with some madcap cool engineering, rather than being a really crazy high level of steampunk (after all, loads of really high-end steampunk settings already exist).
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 11:16:08 PM »
I see, that's awesome too. But there can be people with steampunk body augmentations right? Like a steampunk eye, or hand or something.

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 11:12:48 PM »
Going to give a "not sure/it will vary" on that one, though probably to some extent. Mechanical hand (with ratchet fingers or something to boost grip) seems likely, surgically attached telescope to one's head I can imagine, there's unlikely to be much machinery that can really be thought controlled which limits body addons a bit. Electricity definitely hasn't been brought into mainstream use in GS&S so that puts the kaboosh on several classic steampunk body mods as they'd require wiring into one's nervous system.

For any given mod I'd say it depends how well it fits in with other things in the setting - what I definitely don't want to do is break the feel of the world, which does have exciting stuff but where the exciting stuff is still something interesting, fascinating and special for the people inside the setting rather than just being "boom pow clank insane techno-wizardry that you will never comprehend evaaar". I'll go into more depth on this soon when I get to writing the engineering rules.  :)

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 11:50:43 AM »
What about guns, what are the limitations on those. Will there be steampunk Gatling guns or just rifles and muskets?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 12:02:06 PM »
Mainly muskets - rifles too, but they're extremely expensive. There will be automated steam guns, but they're rare items not in common usage (I want military tactics to resemble those of the 18th and late 17th centuries, whereas if gatling guns/early machine guns were around it would only make sense to have late 19th and early 20th centure tactics). So there are a few more powerful guns, but they're the handcrafted creations of individual engineers and not something every battlefield has a load of.

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 03:08:39 AM »
I see. Sorry for all of these questions, just getting a good idea of the sort of steampunkness it involves. Sounds awesome so far! What about transport? Will Trains be acceptable or just carrages and horses and boats and such?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 08:17:13 PM »
There won't be railroads of any significant distance, though an early form of steam train is in use in some areas for haulage in individual mine facilities.

Generally carriage/horse is the main form of transport by road, a few steam-carriages have been constructed but these are only for the very wealthy/very great engineers/very insane. Primitive steam tanks, known as Trammechs, are in regular use. Boat transport is extremely important - safer than the road and often the only good method of transferring large amounts of heavy goods.

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 08:26:16 AM »
Ok, a suggestion instead of a question now. :P A map. You might want one of those sometime in the future ;D

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 06:12:16 PM »
There is a map. And you will see it, sometime in the future.  :P

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 10:19:04 AM »
Haha! Awesome. :) Can't wait.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 11:08:14 AM »
I'm going to get some map stuff scanned in when I get back to Cambridge later this week I hope. Also expect new concept art to start appearing soon.  :)

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 12:38:27 PM »
O.o AWESOME!!! Can't wait. ;D

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 09:56:21 PM »
Change "when I get back" to "when I get back and have a completed piece of coursework to hand in on Friday" in the above post/ :/