Author Topic: Return of Atlantis  (Read 21856 times)

Paramythion

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Return of Atlantis
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 06:23:10 AM »
-the following is printed on official-seeming paper, with a small water mark that has been carefully removed-
The newly formed Ambassadorial Military Simulation Testing Squadron of his Majesty, Lord Blaiddmor, would like to congratulate the officer in church of this seemingly excellent simulation program. We ourselves will be running test simulations on it, over the next few days, to determinate whether or not it will be suitable for the planning of -phrase redacted-.
Our official verdict will be forthcoming.

Signed,
            The Deputy Under-Secretary of the AMSTS

-the following is in poor handwriting, written by a large pink highlighter-
Have a nic dai!

comrade_general

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 01:46:13 PM »
Message received.

Thank you, Lord! :)

Paramythion

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 05:31:44 AM »
Preliminary notes, after brief testing.

Began running simulation on the mighty Atlantean Empire earlier, and wanted to send in my first thoughts, before I got so sucked into it that I forgot.

Things to keep in mind are that I am, unless mentioned otherwise, playing M/M and on Large unit setting instead of Huge and VH/VH, which seems to be the preferred set-up for all the strategy gaming masochists out there, who have decent computers.

It is running fine so far, and quite enjoyable, although rather easy in the early years. The only nearby enemy to worry about is the rebel settlement to the north, and while that has a substantial garrison, Atlantis is rolling in money at the moment and can basically throw spearmen and javelinmen at the problem until they drown in bodies. After that, no invasions will likely be forthcoming, at least for a very long time, and Atlantis is free to bring the light of glorious civilization to the barbarians of the Atlantic coast with little to no opposition. Or rather, no opposition until Rome gets its act together. I have not gotten that far into the game though, so I can't speak as to how well Atlantean arms and bravery will fare against the legions of the Senatus Populusque Romanus.

The unit roster is interesting, and a good selection, although I lament the lack of proper heavy cavalry. (STATEMENT REMOVED)

Overall, it is very enjoyable so far. I absolutely love mods that add new factions and other assorted things, while keeping the vanilla-feel, and this is one of the best mods of that sort that I have played. I did have a few suggestions, which you are obviously free to think about or ignore as you see fit, since you obviously know what you are going for with this, better than I. (STATEMENT REMOVED)

Other random note. I love the fact that the Atlantean culture is Punic, as I always pictured them as being similar to the Phoenicians.

Anyways, that is just my early thoughts and musings on it. Fantastic job so far, and I will have more for you once I actually get further into a game.

Signed,
            John McKintire, Head Simulation Tester for the AMSTS

The following statement is from the head of the AMSTS.

There appeared to be some confusion amongst my testers about the exact installation procedures required for your simulation. Such problems have been dealt with, as have my clueless subordinates. I am happy to report that the before-mentioned simulation is now running perfectly smoothly.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 05:18:41 PM by Blaiddmor »

comrade_general

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 06:04:38 PM »
Glad to hear. I was in panic after your initial report but I am feeling at ease with it now. :)
Again I'm glad you are enjoying it, Lord, and I am looking forward to hearing more about your exploits.

Paramythion

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 06:03:09 AM »
Brief missive from the head tester of the AMSTS

I have run into a problem with the sea, as it happens. I am incapable of sailing from Atlantis to the mainland. I can go a short distance out to sea, but then it tells me that the terrain is invalid for my unit. Is this a feature, where I need a certain type of event or ship, to cross the sea?

comrade_general

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 10:09:25 AM »
Apologies, Lord. It seems you snatched the download before I had uploaded the repaired file. I have attached a fix here, but I'm afraid that you would need to start a new campaign for it to take effect.  :-\

comrade_general

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2013, 01:00:58 PM »
I'm surprised no one has asked where the names of the smaller Atlantean towns came from. :P

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2013, 01:04:24 PM »
Where did they come from?  :P
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2013, 01:06:17 PM »
Hey I'm glad you asked Jubal! They are simply the numbers 1 through 5 in the language of the Algonquin. :)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2013, 04:09:39 PM »
Ooh, nice. :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2014, 01:07:08 PM »
I'm just sitting here thinking that I have never played a campaign in its entirety in any of my mods. I should probably do that someday. This one looks fun. :P

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2014, 04:16:49 PM »
Playing the games we put so many hours into making? Strange and dangerous idea, there. :P

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2014, 12:54:46 AM »
This is good fun to play around with, though I find when I save it crashes. Is this just my computer throwing one its hissy fits? Though I notice autosave is disabled so you might already know.

Other than this it's playing well!

comrade_general

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2014, 01:53:47 AM »
Thanks. :)

Others have reported the save crash but I'm not sure what causes it. The auto-save was disabled to avoid a different crash.

7hillip

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2015, 11:01:01 PM »
Great mod but is there a fix to the game save or end turn crash? thx