Author Topic: Dark Elves in October  (Read 15770 times)

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Dark Elves in October
« on: September 07, 2013, 09:43:09 PM »
Pretty solid rumours.

From 40K Radio's Facebook page:

NEW RUMORS for Warhammer Fantasy! My "source" has sent me pictures of the new Dark Elf release. The Dark Elves will be out in October with a slew of new models:

1) NEW Plastic Dark Elf Warrior Box(Makes Spearmen, swordsmen, & crossbowmen)
2) NEW PLastic Dark Riders/Warlocks
3) NEW Plastic Blackguard/Executioners
4) NEW Plastic Coldone Chariot/Scroungerunner(Pulled by horses)
5) NEW Plastic Cauldron of Blood/Blood Throne(This model is AMAZING)
6) NEW Plastic Hydra/Kraken
7) NEW Plastic Witch Elf box

This will be a huge release and the Dark Elves will be the best looking Fantasy army, IMHO. These models are breathe taking and Dark Elf fans will have their minds blown!

-The Kraken has 5 heads/fanged maws. The have spines and scales with smooth neck and belly flesh. Scales are painted a Dark Grey with the softer flesh painted blue. Looks awesome.
-The pictures we have of the Witch Elves has them with two hand weapons.
-Black Guard look very stalwart with large halberds and high helms with 3 spikes on each side with a flowing plume on top. Their armor is black trimmed in gold and they have dark purple cloaks. The unit champion is holding a sword by the hilt with the blade planted in the ground. Musician is a drummer.
-The executioners have what look like skull helms, and their armor is a brighter silver than the Black Guard. Their tunics are red in color and the Draiches are all held on the left hand side of their bodies (their left our right). They look very cool ranked up.

The Dark Riders are very cool looking. Sleek looking horses with only a bit of armor. All of the Riders are hunched over in the saddle to give the illusion of speeding fast cav. The helmets appear to be open faced and they are armed with spears in the picture I have, once again that doesn't mean they wont get crossbows (in the pictures we have they are in the back ground behind the Warlocks). The Kraken doesn't have tentacles, it has four legs with webbed appendages ending in claws and it also has a tail. The Cauldron of Blood/Blood Throne look very cool. If you are a fan of the newer larger models GW has been putting out for WHFB you will really dig it. It is a bit toned down compared to the Empire Celestial Hurricanum/Luminark of Hysh and has blades and hooks on it to make it very sinister and Dark Elf. I also want to say thanks for such the warm welcome. I am glad that you guys are fired up for this release. As soon as more info becomes available to us I will share it on our Facebook and post here too. I will continue to answer questions about the models to the best of my ability and thank you for being very understanding as to why we cant release the pictures sent to us. You guys are awesome!
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Dark Elves in October
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 02:46:21 PM »
All the rumours from 40k correlate with my source as well so i presume its accurate.
some more rules rumours. signature spell increases strength by 1 and adds d3 power dice to your pool ala power of darkness. And the scourgerunner has a S7 bolt thrower with no armor saves. (apparently it's used to hunt monsters). There's a new type of Lord choice - think sea helm for DE. Has a sword for a leg. the model looks cool accordingly to my source.
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards

Death Nade

• Resident drawer
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Herrooooo
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 07:38:49 AM »
Looks like a nice addition.

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 03:20:22 PM »
Yes, it's a nice update.

However, I must say that I expected more from all the hype that was raised this month.
Updating core models is the way to go. GW finally made a really good decision.

IMO, Karibdhyss is the most interesting model in this release.

Regular elf poses look kind of dull, but still, proportions are way better than the last edition.

Witch elves are not as sinister looking as I expected them to be (like the current sorceress) but they're much better than the last edition. They also managed to pull of a proper feminine look, so that's a huge plus.
Sisters of slaughter might be a bit too Slaanesh-y.

Can't way to see the updated executioners and Black guard.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 05:20:36 PM »
I most like the assassin special character, looks a nice model.

The main thing I dislike is all the mobile altars. Suddenly every army seems to have to cart round a ton of mobile magical machinery. Sure, the Empire used to occasionally field war altars, but it feels like now huge mobile altars are suddenly in fashion for every army regardless of alignment and to be honest most of them just look really silly. The Cauldron of Blood was always a cool concept, but for me putting on top of some ludicrous contraption just makes it silly rather than mystically threatening.

The sisters do look too slaaneshi (and just generally too weird), and I'd say Karibdhyss looks a bit too chaos for my liking as well.

I like the new spearmen, they look like for once they might be a GW model that can rank up properly.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 05:53:17 PM »
I most like the assassin special character, looks a nice model.

The main thing I dislike is all the mobile altars. Suddenly every army seems to have to cart round a ton of mobile magical machinery. Sure, the Empire used to occasionally field war altars, but it feels like now huge mobile altars are suddenly in fashion for every army regardless of alignment and to be honest most of them just look really silly.

I share the same opinion.

Spear elves were played safe, I guess. Not too different from the last edition (unlike empire state troops) and they fixed most of the major flaws of the previous models.

I agree with your opionion about shadowblade. It's a really nice model with a striking pose, but I feel that it lacks detail. He looks like he could easily be converted out of some bits (dark eldar + fantasy cloaked heads) and a bit of well shaped plasticard for his cloak.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 06:18:51 PM »
I guess, though I often feel that GW's models are too much of a detailfest. You're right for a special character though - I'd rather have just the characters really detailed, and have a simpler, bolder look for the regular troops (after all, the sigmarite charm on the belt of unnamed spearman #22, third from the left, fourth rank back, is unlikely to get much notice regardless!).
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 07:40:46 AM »
Cauldron of blood / Bloodwrack shrine £45

Dark Elves Kharibdyss / War Hydra £40

10 X Dark Elves Dread Spears / Darkshards / Bleak Swords £20

10 X Dark Elves Witch Elves / Sisters of Slaughter £35

Dark Elves Battle Magic £3.50

Shadow Blade £12

Dark Elves Shield Pack £5.80 for 10

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 08:21:39 AM »
Executioners and Black guard in the back:

Dark riders, behind the Cauldron:

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 10:42:48 AM »
The full second wave:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And the rules:
http://plastickrak.blogspot.co.nz/2013/09/dark-elf-rules-leaked.html
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 11:38:03 AM by Silver Wolf »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 12:11:43 PM »
Okay, so...

- Dark riders I like but the horses should NOT have red eyes. Not every horse ridden by an evil being needs to be demonically possessed for goodness' sake, a lot are just horses doing their stuff.
- Not sure what unit 2/3 is but they look weird.
- Cold ones are nice models, unconvinced by the fact I can't see wheels on the chariot.
- Black guard I like, they look fine
- Executioners are the biggest no of the lot, their old helmets were way cooler than having them all wear joke-shop skull masks. EVERYONE seems to be wearing joke shop skull masks in the Warhammer World these days.
- Fleetmaster is quite characterful, but I'd have had the hair going backwards, the front of the model's a bit busy.

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 12:29:02 PM »
- Not sure what unit 2/3 is but they look weird.

Warlocks. Some sort of light cavalry spellcasters which can cast one direct damage spell from lore of death and one from dark elf lore. They also get casting bonuses for ranks.

- Cold ones are nice models, unconvinced by the fact I can't see wheels on the chariot.

Rumors say that it has only one central wheel.

- Black guard I like, they look fine
- Executioners are the biggest no of the lot, their old helmets were way cooler than having them all wear joke-shop skull masks. EVERYONE seems to be wearing joke shop skull masks in the Warhammer World these days.

I agree on both.
Executioners used to look sinister with their helmets and mail face covers. Now they look like cheesy cartoon villains.
I think that they would look better if somebody tried to put old warrior heads on them.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 12:30:48 PM by Silver Wolf »

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 03:59:28 PM »
Rules in a nutshell: