Riddles in the Dark of Exilian

Started by Lady Grey, September 12, 2013, 06:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tusky

<< Signature redacted >>

Jubal

The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Jubal

Take an oracle to the sea,
Then you have a sort of me,
Like a kind of deer I run,
My longer kin from north may come,
Push me out to try for fame,
So, friend, tell me: what's my name?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Glaurung

I'm stumped on this one :( Each bit of the clue gives me an idea, but none of them seem to be connected. Maybe time for a hint?

Jubal

There's at least one sound-based clue, at least one spelling-based clue, at least one idiom based clue and at least one historical based clue in there.

Glaurung

After some more thought, I have come up with:
Spoiler
boat

Logic:
- longboats from the north (historical)
- "push out the boat" (idiom)
- after further idle musing aloud, and with a groan, "sea oracle" = "C oracle" = "coracle" (is that sound-based or spelling based?)

But I still can't get the link to deer running.

Jubal

You're correct :)

The remaining clue:
Spoiler
Is the sound based one - to get a boat to move, you row, or as this suggests, "roe" it.

I'll see if I can think of any more...

Jubal

Okay, a new one:

I am the giver of sweetness before the wise moon's daughter:
Throw me once and I am here, throw me twice and I am gone.
You entrust to me that which you need to survive,
Then with cold steel take it swift anon.
I likewise am the launch of orbs to flight in summer haze,
And when I am over, 'tis my power to amaze.

Spritelady

So I found this while browsing for possible riddles to put into an upcoming DnD game. I am terrible at riddles and don't have a good guess but I'll post some thoughts and maybe someone smarter than me will spot this and take a stab:

Spoiler
"Wise moon's daughter" makes me think either of stars or possibly of a mythological deity. I have some knowledge of Greek more than anything else in this area, but then I don't think Athena (Goddess of Wisdom) was typically associated with the moon. Possibly a link with owls there that come out at night, although that seems a stretch...

"You entrust to me that which you need to survive, then with cold steel take it swift anon" makes me think of planting seeds and then harvesting crops, but I can't see how that fits elsewhere.

"the launch of orbs to flight in summer haze" makes me think of dandelions scattering seeds as well but then it's the wind that actually launches those and "wind" doesn't seem to fit either

Jubal

Some good thoughts! And some feedback on them:

Spoiler
I'd say that Athena is not associated with the moon (though she is associated with wisdom), but owls are associated with both, that's a good call.

You're not totally wrong on thinking about crops, but you're not at the right stage of that process.

I don't think dandelion seeds count as orbs; you want a less natural-world analogy for this one.

Tusky

My guess

Spoiler

Is it fire? 🔥🔥

I'm not sure about all of the clues, but here are the ones that make me think that:

- A match thrown (or struck) once would create fire, but a second throw would put the match out
- Fire is needed for warmth and cooking - so you could say we entrust fire to keep up warm and cook things
- Hot air balloons are orbs powered by fire, more often you see them in clement / summery weather

The remaining ones I'm less sure of, but will try to make fit with my guess...

- A metallic candle snuffer? or a poker you might use to tend a coal fire or scatter the embers when you are done?
- Aftermath of devastating fire (e.g. forest fire) makes us realise the power of fire
- Perhaps this refers to cooking a meal at night?
<< Signature redacted >>

Jubal

Quote from: Tusky on June 05, 2024, 11:53:07 AM
My guess

Spoiler

Is it fire? 🔥🔥

I'm not sure about all of the clues, but here are the ones that make me think that:

- A match thrown (or struck) once would create fire, but a second throw would put the match out
- Fire is needed for warmth and cooking - so you could say we entrust fire to keep up warm and cook things
- Hot air balloons are orbs powered by fire, more often you see them in clement / summery weather

The remaining ones I'm less sure of, but will try to make fit with my guess...

- A metallic candle snuffer? or a poker you might use to tend a coal fire or scatter the embers when you are done?
- Aftermath of devastating fire (e.g. forest fire) makes us realise the power of fire
- Perhaps this refers to cooking a meal at night?

Not correct, but very good logic! Some pointers:

On "throw me once":
Spoiler
You're actually very much along the right lines with the idea of something being made and then destroyed, but with the wrong answer.
On "I likewise am the launch of orbs":
Spoiler
The "I am" is more a direct definition than you've made it.

A general pointer:
Spoiler
Much of what you're missing is in the ways that the word you're seeking has multiple meanings: not all clues point to the same meaning, although of course they all point to the same word.
General pointer 2:
Spoiler
And there's a phonetic clue in there too.
General pointer 3:
Spoiler
The word can be a verb or a noun, and both are referenced.

Tusky

Well then I am officially bamboozleflummoxed
<< Signature redacted >>

Jubal

Bigger pointer/clue:
Spoiler
What rough category of things do you make by "throwing" them?

Spritelady

Is it yarn?
'it is my power to amaze' made me think of spinning a good yarn to mean telling a story, and I believe you can throw yarn as a knitting style