Author Topic: How to run Warhammer Total War on ALX.exe Alexander Total War  (Read 8478 times)

Dunadd

• View Profile
    • Awards
How to run Warhammer Total War on ALX.exe Alexander Total War
« on: October 12, 2013, 01:14:28 PM »
For anyone wanting to run Warhammer Total War using the ALX.exe from Alexander Total War, all you need to do is
1) install the Alexander expansion for Rome
2) copy and paste the file chat_filter.san from the alexander\data folder to both your Rome Total War data folder and your WHTW\data folder
3) Create a new Alexander Total War shortcut on your desktop (Easiest way is to go to your Rome Total War folder, find the purple RomeTW-ALX.exe, right click it, choose send to: and desktop)
4)  Now right click on the new shortcut on your desktop, click properties, and in the 'Target' box click after RomeTW-ALX.exe, leave one space using the space bar and then paste in the following (without any extra spaces) -mod:WHTW -show_err -nm -noalexander.
It should look something like this C:\YOURROMETOTALWARFOLDER\RomeTW-ALX.exe -mod:WHTW -show_err -nm -noalexander
5) Rename the new shortcut 'Warhammer Total War with Alex' or whatever you like (this part isn't really important - it's just so you know what the shortcut is for in future)

The mod will now run on ALX.exe which means it will combine part stacks into full stacks before attacking and will retrain units that have lost men back up to full strength in cities wherever possible. Battlefield AI is also better in ALX than with the normal Rome Total War exe.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 01:18:57 PM by Dunadd »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: How to run Warhammer Total War on ALX.exe Alexander Total War
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 01:25:52 PM »
Thanks Dunadd, this will hopefully be useful for some people.  :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Dunadd

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 09:18:34 PM »
No problem - i got frustrated trying to get instructions on how to make mods work with ALX.exe for other mods, so thought i'd post it for anyone who might want to use it with A Call to Arms

LordNico

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 04:51:28 PM »
Shouldnt this be possible to do on set launch options on the steam game version aswell? just curious it might fix my orks CTD

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 05:53:54 PM »
I think it should - may be work having a go :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

LordNico

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 06:32:43 PM »
Allright, Im making a clean WHTW install on alexander steam version, but I cant find the chat_filter.san file anywhere, am I blind or something? Right I found it, its in the other data folder *facepalm*
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 07:43:13 PM by LordNico »

LordNico

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 02:48:19 PM »
I can confirm that the mod runs great on the steam version. Just put the info in the install guide in "set launch options" and copy the file to rome gold and WHTW.  It also fixed my CTD with the ork boyz.

Basicly play it on Alexander not Rome :)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 02:58:20 PM »
Great - I might actually get Steam RTW & ALX at some point to do that then, I've been having some odd crashes with giants since upgrading to my new laptop...