Faction: The Tangalak

Started by Jubal, January 06, 2013, 11:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jubal

THE TANGALAK

"A machine, you call it. Be that as it may, it is more than that as you know. You cannot build anything without putting something of yourself into it; it is not only your spaceship, captain. It is you."

This thread will be for questions and discussion of the Tangalak - a bizarre race of intelligent, sensitive, clever beings notable for their cyborg-like "bodies" they build for themselves. Please ask any further questions here - making me think of answers will help build up the background!

Faction details & background:
Spoiler
The Tangalak are an unusual race. They are generally friendly, if a little suspicious of strangers; strongly egalitarian by instinct, but fiercely protective of their individual rights. They are intelligent and inquisitive, and they are also pale, sightless blobs with tentacles about two feet wide which evolved living in cave systems far below the surface of their planet. The fact that this has not prevented them gaining control of their solar system and two others nearby, as well as fighting largely successful wars in their defence, is testament to the ingenuity of this most unusual of races.

The Tangalak refer to themselves as "homunculi" in their initial form. They consider this, however, to be practical nudity, not to mention immensely stupid. Their great leap forward came in the creation of progressively more advanced "bodies" which accentuated their senses, allowed them to brave more dangerous conditions, walk on the barren surface of their planet, and eventually enter space itself. These bodies are intensely individual to each Tangalak, and often have unique modifications as takes the fancy of the user or ones that help with specific roles and tasks. Tangalak vehicles are just another type of body as far as they are concerned, and the abandon with which other races treat their crafts and vessels is a wholly alien concept to them.

Ingame:
Spoiler
~To be announced~

Faction FAQs:
~None Yet~
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

TTG4

Just a question about the actual creatures, though I suspect I'm being over-pedantic. If they evolved in caves below the surface, will you be giving those caves some form of light source? Otherwise they'd probably be sightless, which makes building a robotic body a bit of a challenge

Jubal

Not necessarily - my basic thought was that they would indeed be mostly sightless but have echolocation, a radio-band sense, and pretty good electromagnetic senses. That should allow them to get the shape and character of the world around them fairly well without light.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

TTG4

Quote from: Jubal on May 24, 2013, 01:28:39 AM
Not necessarily - my basic thought was that they would indeed be mostly sightless but have echolocation, a radio-band sense, and pretty good electromagnetic senses. That should allow them to get the shape and character of the world around them fairly well without light.

Ah yes, that seems to make sense.

Jubal

I should do some sketches at some point, except I can't actually draw for turnips.  :P

Scarlet

Potatoes? Carrots? Cabbages? Cauliflowers?
like a bruise that would never go away, but she would cherish it for ever.

gellthîr i melethron nîn

nínim in menil