Author Topic: RTR Project 'Grand Campaign' BETA Testing through 0.4  (Read 44893 times)

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: RTR Project 'Grand Campaign' BETA Testing
« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2014, 06:25:46 AM »
Hey everyone there is a new link in the first post I had accidentally forgot to add the map to the compiled BETA, and now it's there. I tested and everything runs smoothly. That is the only thing needed to run the mod now.

News:
I was initially going to make all the UI's myself before I released but after some thought I changed my mind. I scoured other mods and basically found UI's for most every unit (except rebel units). Granted there are a few issues: The UI's are older and some don't match up with some of the unit's textures, and there are a few remaining vanilla UI's in there BUT it's good enough for a first release, especially when a lot of changes will be made anyways.
I have also been recruiting like crazy over at TWC to get some additional help for development after the first release. A few have expressed interest in joining this Project, hopefully we will see them around and they stay for awhile :)

To-Do List:
1. RS2 Settlement Trees (Hopefully Miles Invictus can get these in)
2. Siege Tower Bug (I asked z3n if he could just tackle this as I have no clue where to start)
3. Strat map Agents/Ships skins (Should add these in quickly)
4. New UI for Barbarians from BI
5. Edit descr_strat to balance out campaign
6. Final Testing
7. Release!

God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: January 15, 2014, 11:08:27 PM »
The last BETA will be 0.5. It will contain the following:

1. Pinarius Horses
2. Edited textures for Strat map agents/ships to match faction colors
3. UI's for most units
4. RS2 Settlment trees*
5. Fix for Siege Tower Bug*
6. BI User interface for barbarian culture*
7. phalanx_man's revised EDU*
8. descr_strat edits*

*-Still needs to be done

Then we will do some final testing.

Once testing is done we will make a preview to go along with our first release, 'The RTR Project v0.5'
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

b257

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: January 17, 2014, 08:55:15 PM »
Ok, here is my Report on the Britons, Gauls, and Germans

First the Britons:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

2nd the Germanic Tribes:

last the Gauls:

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: January 17, 2014, 10:23:33 PM »
Until I implement the Celtic Tribes faction, the Gauls will be scattered but that will be fixed. I plan on them having 1-2 settlements in Gaul and 1-2 settlements in Italy for the next version.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: January 18, 2014, 03:33:27 AM »
Added a step to installation to make it easier to follow

Sigma

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #140 on: January 18, 2014, 10:43:14 AM »
My Scythia game at the moment:

Suggestions:

Maybe add traits for barbarian factions that would somehow represent how they were a collection of various tribes and not one centralized country. I believe RS and EB do something like this? This could probably also work for the factions like the Greek Cities and Hellenic Cities.

Get rid of the dogs and pigs of course. :P

Maybe for the city maps you could get a hold of RS devs and see if they will let you use those? I have always found it a bit painful that in RTW all the cities have massive mega buildings, massive column monuments dotting the city etc. Hegemonia has great city maps for the Greeks as well.

Parthia:

Other suggestions, Parthian slingers need a better skin, an empire would have to be incredibly insane or insanely rich to outfit peasants with slings in purple robes. :P
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 08:32:30 AM by Sigma »

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #141 on: January 18, 2014, 11:20:16 PM »
Quality report Sigma, bravo!

Yeah I get random CTD's as well but you're right I think it is a BI bug. We'll have to make sure to add that in when we release just so people don't freak out!

Scythia has Kasia because they need money to be relevant. Yes there are other ways to do this, but for now I just thought I'd give them more settlements. In ExRM 3.3, the Sarmatians had trouble expanding and they figured out that it was because they had such low income that once they had a decent army they would go into the red. If the army was defeated (it usually was) than they would slowly dip into the red and become irrelevant for the rest of the game.

I don't think anyone invades Scythian territories because there is nothing to really desire. It's pretty historical really. If you don't want constant warfare and want to raid nations, Scythia is for you!

The traits are indeed interesting. Something like, 'Aorsi Chief' or something..

Dogs and Pigs will definitely be thrown out for the next version.

As for different settlements, this is a total black area for me and my knowledge. I would need someone to walk me through implementing them since I have never looked into it. You are right and it does need to be in, I would just need help in doing so.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: January 19, 2014, 06:22:14 AM »
Well, I am experiencing a pretty nasty CTD. I am playing with 0.4 BETA with some other additions that will be part of 0.5.

I am playing a campaign as the Julii and it's a fun one as I managed to get to Messana and fight Carthage on Sicily before the Scipii could. Every battle against Carthage loaded cleanly whether it be a one on one in the field or a sally.
However against the Gauls, I get a CTD every time I go into battle against them no matter what the circumstances are. The weird thing is, I will load up my campaign, go to fight the same battle and everything loads fine. So every first battle encounter with the Gauls ends up being a CTD, the second try always works.

I am besieging Mediolanium and a Gallic army came to relieve it, CTD. Reload to same spot, try again, loads without error. After battle, second Gallic Army comes to relieve city, CTD.. I am tired so I just exited the game but I wonder what is causing this? If anyone else is experiencing these let me know. If anything when we release we need to let the players know that they should save often especially before a battle.

Sigma

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #143 on: January 21, 2014, 08:33:13 AM »
Disappointing Parthia playthrough posted. :P
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 03:10:12 PM by Sigma »

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: January 21, 2014, 11:40:18 PM »
Thanks Sigma! Parthia will definitely get a bit of a makeover before release :)

TheCheese

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: January 22, 2014, 01:36:43 AM »
This is a bit noobish I'm sure, but I get consistent CTD's when I press Start Campaign. I imagine my attempt at a making a copy/pasted clean install folder of Rome was unsuccessful. If that sounds about right, how exactly would I make a clean install? Just a reinstallation of vanilla?

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: January 22, 2014, 01:41:02 AM »
Did you delete the map.rwm and map_heights.hgt files?
They are located in data/world/maps/base

TheCheese

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #147 on: January 22, 2014, 01:45:50 AM »
I did not. Even saw that noted in the instructions too. I imagine that should do it, trying now.

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #148 on: January 22, 2014, 10:38:20 PM »
Might there be an issue with a different language version of RTW than English? If I want to add the stuff in the target line of the shortcut, Windows doesn't allow me so. I had the same problem with Hegemonia City States and could never get it started  :(
''I found a city of bricks and left a city of marble''

Augustus

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: January 22, 2014, 10:44:20 PM »
I wouldn't know.. I didn't know that it was an issue. Maybe edit the language of the stuff added to the target line?
Could you explain the problem a bit more? Also did you ever post it in TWC?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 10:49:32 PM by ahowl11 »