Author Topic: Progress, News, Updates  (Read 19163 times)

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Progress, News, Updates
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2014, 06:07:55 AM »
After today, I am halfway through with the UI's. I managed to get the Unit_Infos together but it took a very long time. The Romans alone took 45 minutes just to assign the correct names to the cards.
However I've been able to fix the ladders, they now work perfectly with the new walls, also a few EDU tweaks were made for visual purposes. Finally I implemented parts of Iskandar's Naval tweaks that he made for ExRM. Here is the description:

Crews: Heavier ships have larger crews in order to represent their affinity for boarding. This also increases their lifetime over consecutive battles.

Attack/Defence Stats: Light ship classes have better attack, to simulate their preference of ramming. All classes have similar defence values, light ships due to better defence skill, heavies - due to better armour. This makes heavies distinctly superior ships without turning them into undestroyable juggernauts.

Recruitment/Maintenance costs: Light ships have higher costs, heavies - slightly lower or the same(maintenance is always increased, though). I have sought two effects with that - first, to diversify the ships classes the AI produces and second, to reduce the overall ship numbers in the game, thus placing greater value on naval superiority.

Pirates:In the original stats, pirates had larger defence due to high armour which was the only thing that distinguished them from other ships, combined with whatever hardcoded bonus they get. Originally I sought to preserve this trait, but since Quinn pointed out that pirates seem to be too strong, I kept only the slightly higher overall defence value and reduced the armour value. They also have the minimum crew number. I've upped their costs as well, just in case this effects spawns. The AI seems to handle them better now, although it still costs 3-4 battles to finish off a pirate fleet. As the game progresses, though, and factions start to build heavier ships, the situation improves.

Overall, the battles take more casualties now, since crews are either the same or smaller and attack/defence values rebalancing makes for more damage done. So, no more chasing for 10 turns up one end of the Meditteranean down the other.

Everything that he said is included except for the recruitment and maintenance costs since the economy is still vanilla.

What's left:
1. I need to assign the correct names to the next half of the Unit Cards (Will take a few hours)
2. Bercor is in the process of generating Sprites. He was experiencing some issues, but I think we solved it.
3. Whatever goodies that I can find and add before everything is finished.

Then we can finally start testing and playing this thing.

Other News:
There is a member at TWC that I have messaged in regards to textures and models. Hopefully he responds and is interested. His work is amazingly good and he would easily be able to do anything for us in a short amount of time.

If he is not interested, I'll PM Hoplite of Ilis. He is an option but it looked like he just painted over the textures in his work. We will see.

In regards to the map, if leoni cannot make the map it's fine. I have a clean version of FO's map that we could start working on. Basically we have three options in regards to the map:

1. leoni/FO's bare map - Yes it's bare and yes we will be able to make it our own but with all the research and trial and error, this map could take forever.
2. Our current map starting from scratch - Basically just preference, but same situation as above.
3. Editing and tweaking current map - Quickest and easiest to do but this can mess up trade and AI expansion.

I don't want to make the map a huge deal. As it is we have a very historical map that isn't too big but not too small. It has all the geographical features that we need, is balanced throughout, and everything works smoothly. I think with some minor adjustments like we have already discussed would be perfect for it. It would at least do its part for the Grand Campaign.

If we really wanted to make a map from scratch, it would take a lot of dedication and hard work from multiple people to finish it. Just know that.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 06:18:43 AM by ahowl11 »
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

b257

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2014, 08:33:18 PM »

Other News:
There is a member at TWC that I have messaged in regards to textures and models. Hopefully he responds and is interested. His work is amazingly good and he would easily be able to do anything for us in a short amount of time.

Ooh, who, you can PM me I can keep a secret :P

If he is not interested, I'll PM Hoplite of Ilis. He is an option but it looked like he just painted over the textures in his work. We will see.
He did mention being active on Total War Hellas too since that was where he was taught to texture units with photoshop, so he probably has stuff their he hasn't posted on TWC that I'm aware of.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2014, 06:01:23 PM »
An update:

Basically all we need before a formal release is the final UI's. I have reskinned most of the remaining units and only a few more remain. Once I finish those, Bercor can make the unit cards and everything will be finished. Bercor was able to make the sprites as well as redo a few unit cards to his liking. Also, we can make UI's for the Chariot units now so nothing will be missing from our fist release! How's that for a 'BETA'? :)
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2014, 05:11:15 AM »
Hey guys I just wanted to apologize for not progressing much with the mod. If I could have it my way we would already be adding units. However my studies are really halting any modding progress. Everytime I sit down to mod I always am reminded that I have a paper to write, so its tough modding knowing you aren't really free from more important things.

It's all about time management. I wake up ready to study, get on my computer, but before I study I always come to exilian or TWC to check for updates or news for the mod. By the time I know it, it's lunch. "Okay I'm going to write that paper now". Oh wait, I have a message on TWC, gotta check that." Then it's time for work, the whole time I am at work I am planning my evening so I can finally get to that paper, but once again I procrastinate and get on facebook or something. Then it's almost midnight and the paper is due. I frantically rush through the paper and get a B-.
Then I am too tired to mod.

I really need help prioritizing my life and time, because if I did, I would actually be able to mod so much more than I do now! Any tips?

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2014, 10:49:00 AM »
My advice is: studies always come first. Modding should be a hobby, not a priority. So, don't worry, get your work done, and eventually time to mod will come again.

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2014, 10:54:41 AM »
The forum is a good distraction from writing a paper, though  ;D Actually, everything is. Last week I had no internet for a day due to technical problems. It was massively annoying, but I must say that I didn't even work an hour on my paper and still wrote more than on other days, because the internet couldn't distract me.
''I found a city of bricks and left a city of marble''

Augustus

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2014, 06:30:18 PM »
You only actually need to check updates once every few days, and you don't need to read every thread on a forum obsessively. I think that's the main thing to realise which frees up time; if you do mailing less often you learn to do it faster.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

b257

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2014, 06:39:40 PM »
I'd say concentrate on your studies first, they're most important. Remember Rome wasn't built in a day :)

comrade_general

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2014, 07:15:08 PM »
You only actually need to check updates once every few days minutes, and you don't need to read every thread on a forum obsessively.

Corrected some errors there.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2014, 10:16:39 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm pretty close to catching up :)

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2014, 10:14:30 PM »
I'm out till Tuesday, since I'm in Scotland over the weekend. See you all next week ;)

Augustus

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2014, 10:56:07 PM »
Ok, then. Blow some pipes for me.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2014, 09:53:16 PM »
Almost done changing cultures. It's easy but takes forever. All symbols and most banners have been implemented. Then I have to change the strat map character models and then deal with the coding issues and names.

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2014, 12:05:15 AM »
I'm back! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAZJ8tU9r_Y

Anything to do for the historian?  :)

Augustus

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2014, 12:29:16 AM »
So, how's Scotland? Do men still dress like women and stuff?