Author Topic: Discussion: Gutting the Vanilla Unit Roster  (Read 11779 times)

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Discussion: Gutting the Vanilla Unit Roster
« on: January 19, 2014, 12:17:10 AM »
Alright, I hope you all know what units you want out of the mod, more than likely we will agree and see eye to eye on most units. Basically in the OP I will have a list of every vanilla faction (with the name of the faction that they will turn into in parenthesis) and their units. Then using the wonderful Strikethrough editor we will cross out any unit who is unworthy of RTR! I might include a *note on certain units depending on how this goes.

Rules/Things to know:
1.Peasants MAY have to stay in due to a revolt CTD bug that RTRPE experienced by deleting peasant units. There may be a way around this if we moved the worst infantry unit of each faction to be recruited by the governor's house, it will require testing.

2. DO NOT post anything regarding new units. This thread is specifically for which units stay in and which get thrown out. Another thread will be created regarding new units when this thread has fulfilled it's purpose.

3. Suggestions to change unit names and recruitment are allowed though, since many units have wrong names and recruitment in vanilla.

Check this thread regularly for updates, I'll try to post all the factions up ASAP. For now let's start with Egypt.

Egypt (The Ptolemaic Empire)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Julii, Brutii, Scipii, Senate (The Roman Republic)

Carthage (The Republic of Carthage)

Macedon (The Antigonid Kingdom)

Seleucids (The Seleucid Empire)

Greeks (The Greek City States)

Parthia (Parthians)

Pontus (The Kingdom of Pontus)

Armenia (The Kingdom of Armenia)

Numidia

Gaul (Gauls)

Britons (Celtic Tribes)

Germans (Germans)

Dacia (Geto-Dacians)

Scythia (Sarmatians)

Spain (Iberians)

Thrace (Illyrians)

Rebels & Mercenaries
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 12:54:21 AM by ahowl11 »
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Discussion: Gutting the Vanilla Unit Roster
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 12:41:36 AM »
Well, if we want to go with historical accuracy, will have to redo completely the Ptolemaic roster. It's, by far, the most unhistorical roster in the game.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 02:17:29 AM by Bercor »

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 02:06:55 AM »
Ptolemies updated according to how I think it should be. Subject to change. Will put up more factions shortly.
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 04:30:17 AM »
Every Faction with Every unit has been listed. Please read through and post your thoughts and ideas.

Sigma

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 10:47:11 PM »
Ptolemies should have African Elephants and War Elephants recruitable in Meroe or Axum? There were a couple of recorded battles of Egypt using Elephants. Also the Carthaginians and Egyptians used African Elephants (obviously) which were smaller and faster than then the Indian Elephants used by Parthia and the Seleucids. But the Indian Elephants were more durable and supposedly the African Elephants couldn't stand the smell and sounds of the Indian Elephants.

Also I can't remember where I read it but Parthians did use elephants, but not on a large scale like the other ancient empires did. Maybe have them only recruitable from one settlement like Taxila for the Parthians?

If you add Beserkers take away the Beserker ability as it is over powered and broken. You can literally take out multiple units with a unit in "beserk mode".

Both Greeks and Romans used Ballistas and Romans used Onagers. I'm against giving every faction onagers since that was Rome's thing. They're known for their siege engineering and other factions getting that would steal the thunder from Rome.

The druids should be ditched all together.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 04:54:33 AM »
I'm keeping Elephants and War Elephants but Armoured Elephants are the ones in question.
The game incorrectly uses the African Elephant for the Seleucids when there is an Indian Elephant model/texture available, that will be fixed.
Okay, I'll keep the Parthian War Elephants as AOR.

Berserkers will be nerfed.
Okay, but I am still iffy on even the Romans having them. How often were they used? If only a few times, what's the point of having them in you know?

Yeah, I might get rid of the Druids all together but I thought it might be cool to have them as an officer. If it's not historical I can leave them out but I thought they accompanied troops into battle?

Fëanáro

• RTR Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 02:10:33 PM »
I'm keeping Elephants and War Elephants but Armoured Elephants are the ones in question.
The game incorrectly uses the African Elephant for the Seleucids when there is an Indian Elephant model/texture available, that will be fixed.
Okay, I'll keep the Parthian War Elephants as AOR.

Berserkers will be nerfed.
Okay, but I am still iffy on even the Romans having them. How often were they used? If only a few times, what's the point of having them in you know?

Yeah, I might get rid of the Druids all together but I thought it might be cool to have them as an officer. If it's not historical I can leave them out but I thought they accompanied troops into battle?

You could have druids as ancillaries.

Fëanáro

• RTR Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 02:20:15 PM »
I would also advise you to get rid of (Or nerf) the more powerful "native" Roman cavalry units. They should have auxiliaries and mercenaries as their high-tier cavalry units, like they did historically. Because in vanilla, you had jarring things like Roman Cavalry being better than their counterparts from every faction (Which was a serious problem for all Roman units).

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 02:29:07 PM »
Ptolemaic Empire: I'd get rid of nubian cavalry and only mantain the infantry. The slingers and the skirmishers would need a reskin.

Rome: Seems good. I'd only change the armoured general shield to a round one.

Carthage: Good. I'd left the slingers and the skirmishers.

Antigonid Kingdom: Good.

Seulecid Empire: I've seen some modern depictions of seleucid armoured elephants and most mods (europa barbarorum and roma surrectum for example) use them. Personally, I would do the same.

Greek City States: Good. Make Spartan hoplites an AOR unit.

Parthia: Good.

Pontus: I'd ditch the chariot archers.

Armenia: Good.

Numidia: Good.

Gauls: Give them slingers and archers.

Britons: Good.

Germans: I'd ditch the screeching woman. I don't like the ideia of them as officers. I know they acompanied the soldiers to battle, but, as a rule, they didn't fight, they remain in the background encouraging the men.  Get rid of bersekers, chosen axeman and gothic cavalry. The first because they were vikings, the second because the germans didn't use almost any axes, the third because there's already a germanic noble cavalry and that's enough. Also, I'd change the night riders axe for a spear and the axeman for a cub. The chosen archers should be replaced by a light archer unit.

Dacia: The chosen archers should be replaced by a light archer unit.

Scythia: I'd ditch the chosen archers.

Iberians: No General's Armoured Bodyguard. Otherwise, good.

Illyrians: Militia hoplites replaced with illyrian hoplites. No General's Armoured Bodyguard.

Mercenaries/Rebels: Good.

In regards to the onager question, I'm personally againt all tipes of artillery except the roman scorpion, since with was the only one that was actually used in a field battle. I also think that the manner onagers and ballistas destroy walls in this game is highly unrealistic, so I wouldn't use them. But, if they have to remain for gameplay reasons I would the  give the onagers to the romans to, as Sigma said, represent their engineering ability.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 05:06:18 PM »
In regards to the Roman Cavalry, their name will be changed to Alae Cavalry similar to RTRPE and with their stats being adjusted in the new EDU, they should not be as powerful.

Okay let's ditch Chosen Archers altogether.
Gothic Cavalry will go too.
Pontic Chariots? I'm not sure yet. RTRPE has them, but other mods don't.
I thought the Germans used Axemen?

I'll get rid of Screeching Women and Druids. Feanaro, great idea, we can make Druids an ancillary.

Regarding Siege Weapons: I'm against Scorpions for this reason:
Then, there's also the annoying bug which forces besieging AI to just sit in the field outside city walls if they have a scorpion in their army stack. The only solution to that seems to fast forward until the timer runs out [unless you have sufficient garrison troops to face the AI in the field; but then you wouldn't allow the siege to take place anyway]. I tried to fix the bug by giving scorpion missiles a small damage to walls, hoping that the AI would waste their ammo and proceed with the attack. Did not work, they're still just sitting in the field.
- Slaists from TWC

I'd rather not keep Onagers, but Ballistas only.

b257

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 05:07:33 PM »
I agree with Bercor for the most part. I do think the Seleucids should have armored elephants, I mean I have seen them in modern illustrations and texts, so maybe they should be included.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 05:09:09 PM »
Okay, sounds good to me. What about Carthage? I'd think that they wouldn't have them due to the fact that they used African Elephants

Fëanáro

• RTR Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 05:30:29 PM »
Any "Gothic" units should go. Goths aren't going to be around for some centuries.

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 06:02:52 PM »
What about Carthage? I'd think that they wouldn't have them due to the fact that they used African Elephants

Yes, Carthage shouldn't have armoured elephants like in vannila, only war elephants.

In regards to the Roman Cavalry, their name will be changed to Alae Cavalry similar to RTRPE and with their stats being adjusted in the new EDU, they should not be as powerful.

Okay let's ditch Chosen Archers altogether.
Gothic Cavalry will go too.

Good.

Pontic Chariots? I'm not sure yet. RTRPE has them, but other mods don't.

Chariots with archers were outdated in this time, they were very vulnerable, dependent of the terrain and an easy prey to light cavalry. All and all, they seem to me rather impractical and should go out.

I thought the Germans used Axemen?

Actually, no, that's a myth (probably inspired in the vikings). The two most common weapons between the germanic people were spears and cubs. The nobles that could afford used swords. An axe would be rather rare, let alone one unit composed exclusively by axeman.

I'll get rid of Screeching Women and Druids. Feanaro, great idea, we can make Druids an ancillary.

Excellent ideia.

Regarding Siege Weapons: I'm against Scorpions for this reason:
Then, there's also the annoying bug which forces besieging AI to just sit in the field outside city walls if they have a scorpion in their army stack. The only solution to that seems to fast forward until the timer runs out [unless you have sufficient garrison troops to face the AI in the field; but then you wouldn't allow the siege to take place anyway]. I tried to fix the bug by giving scorpion missiles a small damage to walls, hoping that the AI would waste their ammo and proceed with the attack. Did not work, they're still just sitting in the field.
- Slaists from TWC

I'd rather not keep Onagers, but Ballistas only.

Ah, ok, didn't knew about that bug. In that case I'd ditch all artillery, since ballistas are impractical in the field and rather pointless in a siege against a settlement with more than a wodden palisade. Do what you think is best.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 06:20:43 PM »
I don't know, but I'm willing to place a non-monetary bet that you could fool RTW into thinking that scorpions were ballistae (thus solving the AI issue) whilst having them keep the look & functionality of scorpions.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...