Author Topic: Workshop: Traits/Ancillaries  (Read 12836 times)

The Sloth

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Workshop: Traits/Ancillaries
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 04:59:39 PM »
Isn't 0.5 what we have right now? Or do you mean releasing it to the public?

If we release it to the public, we obviously can't remove the traits. That would look super wierd. But it means that I will need the final descr_strat file in order to remove all traits and ancillaries I have removed from the files, or else the game won't work.

I haven't started with ancillaries yet, but I'll need the export_ancillaries.txt file. I'm playing a German version of the game, and I don't want to translate the whole file.

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 06:20:53 PM »
A German version? Bist du aus Deutschland? Schweiz? Österreich? Liechtenstein?  ;D
''I found a city of bricks and left a city of marble''

Augustus

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 06:30:09 PM »
0.5 is basically finished, Bercor is patching things up at the moment. You are pretty much starting work on 0.6, which the rest of us will follow suit after we release 0.5 which will be Friday or sooner. It's up to Bercor.
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 06:40:20 PM »
Way to put the pressure over one guy...

The Sloth

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2014, 03:10:51 PM »
Bist du aus Deutschland?

Ja. (Bamberg, Franken)

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 03:13:34 PM »
Hahaha wirklich? Ich war vor drei Wochen noch in Bamberg bei einem Kumpel von mir  ;D Ich bin aber aus Paderborn in Ostwestfalen  ;)

Augustus

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 05:51:32 AM »
Ahh German. :)
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

The Sloth

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2014, 02:24:13 PM »
Hahaha wirklich? Ich war vor drei Wochen noch in Bamberg bei einem Kumpel von mir  ;D Ich bin aber aus Paderborn in Ostwestfalen  ;)
Womöglich ziehe ich selber in ein paar Monaten weiter.

*Ahem*, back to topic...

I've made some good progress with battle-related traits. I just hope they work out the way I want.

You'll get command stars through the "tactician" traits, and by specializing in fighting specific cultures or with different unit types (infantry/cavalry). Natural military tatlent and the "strategist" traits are still in as well, because I haven't yet decided what to do with them.

I intend to do my changes to the "warlord" traits and start with miscellaneous trais - or maybe some ancillaries - after doing some work on building trees.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2014, 05:31:07 PM »
Sounds good to me!

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2014, 01:06:49 PM »
An idea... most mods for Medieval II (like Stainless Steel, but also those concerning other epochs like 1648 Total War) have a feature where a governor of a certain city acquires a title ''governor of xy'' with the city/province badge in his retinue which gives a bonus or malus. In RTR VII there was a similar thing with the ''governor of XY'' trait, which enhanced the public order of a newly conquered province.

Does that mean we could use the same function as for the MTW mods for RTW and thus for our own mod? If yes, I would suggest to consider the feature for our mod. To examplify this: You put a character in Lilybaion and the turn after he gets the ''governor of Lilybaion'' trait. Obviously it will be hard to find a picture like the badge, but we could still use it. Some ideas:

,,Governor of Lilybaion, one of the greatest fortresses in the ancient world''. + 3 turns siege time

,, Urban Praefect of Rome, home of the Senatus Populusque Romanus.'' + 20 % Happiness

,, Satrap of Bablyon, one of the most ancient cities in the world.'' + 20 % income on taxes

,, Archon of Athens, home of the four schools of philosophy'' +3 Management

Those are mere examples, which sprang out of my head right now, but I guess you get the general idea. So, is this possible, and do you like the idea?

Augustus

The Sloth

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2014, 05:25:10 PM »
It's certainly possible, but that's some rather advanced stuff. The only way I know to make it work would require every such city to have a unique building that would trigger the trait if it hasn't been awarded already. Or via scripts, but that's not my area of expertise.

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2014, 09:31:32 PM »
Mmh maybe we could restrict it to the bigger cities then, maybe we are going to implement some unique buildings anyway (?) like many other mods. Like ''Forum Romanum'', ''The Port of Carthage'', ''The Acropolis of Athens'' etc so it could be linked to that. Otherwise we might have someone else who can do it on the team, or ahowl11 knows someone.

Augustus

Alavaria

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2014, 07:55:14 AM »
Scripts may be necessary, otherwise you could potentially end up with five governors of Athens or something.

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2014, 04:49:43 PM »
Good point, Bercor said the trait system is the same as in MTW2. So if you don't find a solution you could go and ask the modders of 1648 or SS,

Augustus

The Sloth

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2014, 05:22:37 PM »
Like I said, I can do it, but I need those unique buildings. There is a trigger condition that checks if a specific trait exists somewhere else in the campaign. I'd just need to find what it was, or ask someone who knows. But it wouldn't make much sense to include all those buildings just to get a few traits, so scripting is probably the way to go.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 05:28:40 PM by The Sloth »