Author Topic: Challenging mechanics  (Read 4734 times)

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Challenging mechanics
« on: February 01, 2014, 09:14:17 PM »
So, as probably most of you know, we in the RTR Project team are trying to create a mod both realistic and challenging for the player. We already have some amazing ideas given by Hannibal Barca (Resources thread for those interested) but I thought to open a new thread so we can share some interesting mechanics present in other mods.
So, what mechanics and ideas have you found, while playing and modding around, that you think fitting of Rome Total Realism?

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Challenging mechanics
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 11:05:53 PM »
I have all kinds of ideas but I am not good at explaining them. I usually am inspired by something I see in other mods or read in books or articles.

Here are some things I'd like to see down the road though:

- Unique Strat map diplomats, assassins, and spys. Currently they all look the same, it should be more diverse.
- BI Legion system (I don't want RS2's system because it takes up a lot of EDU and DMB slots. At least for the Grand Campaign)
- Custom Settlement Plans. Once we have a finished map we should research the cities we can and make unique settlement plans for cities, that way it's not the same set up for every siege. RTH has a few custom settlement plans. I'll have to check them out.
- RS2 Hillforts (Can I get some screens of these? I've been wanting to see how they look)
- Having a unit roster focused on Quality not Quantity. I want a lot of units and I want it to be diverse but I don't want useless units. They need to be researched carefully and they need to fit in.

Those are just a few of my ideas to chew on for now. More will come later once we can figure out the above
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 11:42:56 PM »
I have all kinds of ideas but I am not good at explaining them. I usually am inspired by something I see in other mods or read in books or articles.

Here are some things I'd like to see down the road though:

- Unique Strat map diplomats, assassins, and spys. Currently they all look the same, it should be more diverse.
- BI Legion system (I don't want RS2's system because it takes up a lot of EDU and DMB slots. At least for the Grand Campaign)
- Custom Settlement Plans. Once we have a finished map we should research the cities we can and make unique settlement plans for cities, that way it's not the same set up for every siege. RTH has a few custom settlement plans. I'll have to check them out.
- RS2 Hillforts (Can I get some screens of these? I've been wanting to see how they look)
- Having a unit roster focused on Quality not Quantity. I want a lot of units and I want it to be diverse but I don't want useless units. They need to be researched carefully and they need to fit in.

Those are just a few of my ideas to chew on for now. More will come later once we can figure out the above

Well, kinda off topic :P. Nevertheless, I liked them all.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 11:49:42 PM by Bercor »

Aquila

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 02:44:35 AM »
- Custom Settlement Plans. Once we have a finished map we should research the cities we can and make unique settlement plans for cities, that way it's not the same set up for every siege. RTH has a few custom settlement plans. I'll have to check them out
I am pretty sure I can find basic city layout with major streets for several cities from ancient times.  Whether or not they are on the internet so that I can send to you is a different matter altogether, but I don't expect Google Images will fail us for the concept art.  The main problem tends to be beyond major streets it can quickly degenerate to artists' impressions.

Will there be an acropolis in some Hellenic cities?

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 04:29:08 AM »
That sounds good, umm I don't know, Ancient Cities and their layouts are not my specialty. I'm sure someone on the team knows, and there are many at TWC that know. :)
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

b257

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 05:27:13 PM »
You know Jarlaxe might have some good info on Hellenic city layouts he could provide book and text wise, especially after seeing his latest update:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?639595-Preview-28-1-2014

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 07:38:10 PM »
I've talked with him. He said once he finished Hegemonia and Fourth Age that he would be interested in helping RTR. That could be awhile.

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 08:58:09 PM »
I've talked with him. He said once he finished Hegemonia and Fourth Age that he would be interested in helping RTR. That could be awhile.

Nevertheless, great news.

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 08:11:43 PM »
Ookkayy, I'm also finally back from Bavaria. Some neat ideas out there, I'm sure I could also help with the city designs, there's a German ancient history encyclopaedia that has at least one map for most ancient towns.
''I found a city of bricks and left a city of marble''

Augustus

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 09:02:49 PM »
Good news! I honestly don't have any grand ideas for game play. I just want the game to be smooth, fun, challenging and most of all, realistic. However, I am open to everyone elses Ideas

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 09:52:02 PM »
Curse you guys and your well-resourced mods :/

Which is to say, this sounds awesome and I'm quite jealous, particularly wrt custom settlement plans (which would have improved Game of Colleges, Narnia, or Warhammer TW no end if I'd had the capacity to do them).  :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 10:09:53 PM »
It's rare to find someone who CAN do them. That's why Jarlaxe at TWC would be so valuable to us.