Author Topic: Swap 2014  (Read 28208 times)

Tom

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Swap 2014
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 09:03:14 AM »
I'm sure I can manage twenty turns, the whole campaign may go upside down in those turns though, I've only ever played medium/medium. Also, should we all follow a set goal at first (military or financial or growth)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 09:10:16 AM by Tom »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 10:53:19 AM »
I think often the saves are too big to attach to posts?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

ahowl11

• RTW Modders and Tutorialists
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 10:41:55 PM »
The goal is simple. Conquer the world. :) I will begin tonight.
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

ahowl11

Voting Member
  • RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 05:35:05 PM »
Okay the first 20 years are complete. Here is what Jubal will encounter.

Campus Scythii has a low public order, but don't worry about it. Axemen are currently being trained for defense. Vicus Venedae is doing fine. Everything is built. I hope that rebel army stays put!

I have set you up very nicely in regards to the economy and trade as you can see by the trade routes all across the Black Sea. You have trade rights with Dacia (Only Ally), Thrace, Pontus, Seleucids, Armenia, Parthia, and Germania. Chersonesus is growing by 8% every turn. This should become our military factory.

Campus Sarmatae and Campus Alani are also doing well. Campus Alani is extremely vital to the economy, if lost, we'll take a big hit. That is why you see in the middle of the towns, that there is an army marching towards Campus Alani. It's composed of all horse archers, most of whom have already had battlefield experience and success. I advise you merge them with the army in Campus Alani, train a few Peasants to keep the populace happy and take everyone else and head towards the Parthians at Campus Sakae. With your faction heir in control the army should have good morale. Hiring some Sarmatian Lancers on the way would be wise. Campus Sakae is vital to control as it protects Campus Alani and secures any threat from the east.

Here is Rimsin the diplomat. I have him heading towards Pergamum to obtain trade with the Greeks. I'd suggest establishing good relations with all the Roman factions as well.

What I did:
- Conquered Vicus Venedae with a young talented General (I suggest moving some archers, axemen, and horse archers there. If Dacia breaks it's alliance with you, it will be because they attacked there. Germania can attack there as well.)
-Established economy. Roads, Ports, and Markets are in every settlement. A few more farms need to be built
-Conquered Chersonesus. This settlement is exploding with population. Great military base for future conquests.
-Started establishing military
-Built Shrines to Kolaksay in every settlement, this provides an experience bonus to troops trained. I recommend this shrine in every settlement in the future.
-Main Army on it's way to Campus Alani, so that we can take Campus Sakae. (Usually the Parthians have a pretty big stack up there. I suggest sending a diplomat or horse archer up there to scout before sending the main force.)

After Campus Sakae I recommend we focus our offense against Parthia in the South and then Armenia. We need to be defensively focused around Campus Scythii and Vicus Venedae. I think pulling peasants out of Campus Sarmatae and transferring them to Vicus Vendae would be wise so that it can expand for future troops.

Macedon has already been destroyed, looks like Thrace and the Greeks teamed up on them.

Our coffers are not overflowing with money. For the longest time I couldn't get about 2000 denari. Now I'm getting 3500 to 4000. Still, not a whole lot. Be frugal and smart, especially on the battlefield. We cannot afford massive losses.

Remember we are the Scythians, not Rome. Hit and Run tactics, playing safe, and keeping your distance will be what wins for us. Wearing out infantry and out maneuvering cavalry are essential for victory. Once we get Scythian Lancers, mass charges will also help.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 05:40:30 PM by ahowl11 »
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Tom

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 06:24:38 PM »
Sounds good so far :)

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 06:55:29 PM »
I propose storm through Armenia and Syria, only stopping in Alexandria!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2014, 01:50:58 AM »
So I rather went off the plan because circumstances got in the way.

What circumstances? Well, Germania and Dacia attacking us simultaneously. Germania took Venedae very quickly and still have it; Dacia threw a massive stack at Scythii and that fell too.

Scythii was retrieved, after some heavy fighting and hiring of mercenaries; hoplite mercenaries are excellent if you want a good way to remove enemy leaders. Also have smallish stacks of horse archers around to hit enemy reinforcements, it does a lot of damage. Sakae was taken and later trade rights restored with Parthia; the east is now secure and I suggest that Armenia is not our main priority now we're fighting two wars in Europe. Partatua has finally returned from the east, and so we actually have a large force around Scythii; keep some horse archers in striking distance in case of Dacian attack and either go retake Venedae or counterattack into Dacia itself would be my advice.

An alternative strategy is opened by the fact the Brutii now have Byzantium; they'd be hard pressed to counterattack if we took it, and our archers could defend it fairly well. Something to consider, and I think we should try and restrict Roman growth overall because otherwise they could get pretty terrifying.

I've built up more infrastructure, particularly in Chersonesos and Tanais; pop growth is certainly going well. You'll notice a lot of new watchtowers as well, such that nobody's going to be sneaking up on us in too much of a hurry again!

But yes, province-wise we've lost one and gained one, but we're now in a good position to strike either north into the German lands, west into Dacia, or south into the Aegean. I like the idea of an Aegean attack though I appreciate the prudent thing may not be to open another front. A western strategy now makes sense more than an Eastern one I feel; with our resources bunched as they are going into Armenia would leave us fighting heavily on two fronts with very stretched supply lines.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

ahowl11

Voting Member
  • RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2014, 01:52:55 AM »
Okay Bercor, lead us to victory!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2014, 01:53:23 AM »
Yep, should be in your mail inbox now Bercor :)

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2014, 02:38:00 AM »
Do not fear, my friends. Time to kick some barbarian asses.

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2014, 07:34:13 PM »
Ok, here's my report:

First thing I noticed was that our citizens were very angry, 3 settlements in unrest, including the capital, and other 2 with blue faces. "Strange" I thought "Let's see what's the problem...". Oh my, look at the population number, the squalor is through the roof. How can we deal with it as a barbarian faction? Only one way, let the settlements revolt and then exterminate the population. I did that in Tanas, green face automatically. Note for the future: Low taxes are a good way to increase population but it can easily get out of hand.

Well, moving on. I decided to take the fight to dacian land, seeing as they had a big stack ready to assault Campus Scythi.

And I managed to win with very few losses.

With the big Dacian stack out of the way we had an open path to they're capital Porrolissum. However, the Thracians betrayed our trade agreement and good relations by atacking Campus Scythi with a respectable army.

Change of plans, consolidating our territory is more important than conquering new one, in this stage.

They attacked me with reinforcements but, luckily, I was in a bridge and the hoplite/archer combo won the day.

Meanwhile, further north, the germans decided they also wanted to join the party.

We lost one general, but managed to win the fight.

"Well, since I'm here, might as well reconquer Vicus Venedae". Said and done.

The germans, later, sent some armies to take it back but were all defeated.

The Thracians had to pay, so we take their settlement.

We eventually returned to our original plan, and attacked Porrolissum.

And conquering it.

Note that I conquered 3 settlements but didn't fight any siege battle, that's, in my opinion, the best way to use the Scythians, by besiege a settlement and wait for an enemy army to attack and then kill every last one of them.

Here's the current state of affairs.

We'll be soon attacked by that Thracian army, if we can defeat them, they'll be unprotected and maybe we could press them and conquer their last 2 settlements. I advise to fight the battle on the field, otherwise will be creamed.

As you can see, we still have unrest problems. Remember, good ol' exterminarion is your friend.

Look at this.

The greeks are rocking :o.

Sorry for the long post. To whom should I send the save?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2014, 08:01:41 PM »
Comrade_General seems to be next :)

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2014, 08:15:31 PM »
Email adress?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2014, 11:47:57 PM »
I've PMed you with it.

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2014, 12:00:04 AM »
Sent.