Author Topic: UNIT PREVIEW IV: MAD SCIENCE  (Read 5825 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
UNIT PREVIEW IV: MAD SCIENCE
« on: February 23, 2014, 09:05:17 AM »
UNIT PREVIEW IV: MAD SCIENCE

Cambridge's elite scientists, when going to war, have a vast range of frankly insane options to choose from. Reanimating ancient beasts, setting loose terrors of the wilderness, or just competing for size & volume of explosions; mad science is definitely not merely on the cards but in the labs. Here's a flavour of some of the elite, unique, and nutty units available in the higher tiers of A Game of Colleges!

Engineer Cannon

Looking back at their previous endeavours in weapon production, some fourth year engineers realise that they were all missing their favourite thing: explosions. Cannon fire cannon balls at a medium rate of fire, but with massive destruction at the point of impact. I mean, what else is there to say? It's a cannon. You want it.

Flame Cannon

Not to be bested by their far too practical cousins up at the Engineering Dept, the natural scientists at the Material Science Lab have used their purely theoretical knowledge of thermodynamics to build a cannon that's shoots hyper-accurate fireballs. Because reasons.

Mutated Slime Moulds

These giant blobs of semi-controllable green slime wobble across the battlefield towards the enemy. Their effectiveness at killing anything is admittedly minimal, but they are nevertheless invaluable - it is surprisingly hard to kill a gelatinous slimy blob or indeed to make it panic and flee, and so the slime moulds are excellent at holding enemy units up for significant lengths of time.

Wild Wolves

The zoologists decided they needed something really terrifying to unleash, displaying their power to the rest of the University. And what better than a bona fide wolf pack? Almost impossible to control, these natural hunting machines will charge the nearest enemy in sight - in search of victory, food, and blood. The pack is not only powerful but fast, excellent at hunting lighter enemy units...

War Mammoth

Initially asked to try throwing rocks at the enemy, the geologists rapidly decided to instead find something they cared about less than their precious specimen collections to use in battle. As such, they have broken out their fossil cabinets in order to find something useful to reanimate. Bringing species back from extinction has always worked so well in the movies, so they decided to mount up on resurrected mammoths and fire down arrows from above. Whilst the mammoth will trample anything around it, it has to come from the Downing Site - the streets are a bit narrow in Cambridge, see?

Triceratops Riders

After seeing the success of the geologists at reanimating their mammoth specimens, the palaeontologists sought to go one better by cracking open the vaults of the Sedgwick Museum on the Downing Site. There, they found something that could change the course of the war: a triceratops skeleton, ripe for reanimation. This unit of six of the powerful beasts promises to skewer anyone who says that palaeo is a dead subject with its razor sharp horns.

Chemist-Grenadiers

After spending most of the early parts of the war devising the perfect formula to win this war without any more bloodshed, the chemists had their hand forced and have taken to attack with what they have so far - highly volatile substances in conical flasks and other portable containers. By which I mean, grenades.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:25:00 AM by Jubal »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Scarlet

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: UNIT PREVIEW IV: MAD SCIENCE
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 09:30:56 AM »
I take exception to your description of my subject and to the suggestion the paleontologists would wish to break free of us.

Also, when did the slime moulds happen? :D
like a bruise that would never go away, but she would cherish it for ever.

gellthîr i melethron nîn

nínim in menil

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 09:51:51 AM »
That was Truddle - I shall endeavour to fix it, sorry? :s

Um, a few days ago? They're basically ported over from Orcs and Humans.  :)

EDIT: changed the descriptions, thoughts on the edits?  :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:25:53 AM by Jubal »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 12:37:27 PM »
Yay slime!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 03:46:53 PM »
They are really annoying to fight against, best speed bump unit.  :P

Scarlet

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 01:39:03 PM »
Much better :D
like a bruise that would never go away, but she would cherish it for ever.

gellthîr i melethron nîn

nínim in menil

pengirules

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 05:43:03 PM »
Change my descriptions, will you? *tuts loudly in a corner*

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 05:58:12 PM »
Ohh, didn't realise pengirules == Truddle. Hello Truddle :D

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 12:32:43 AM »
Ohh, didn't realise pengirules == Truddle. Hello Truddle :D

He's arrived!!!