Author Topic: Roman Unit Descriptions  (Read 5019 times)

Principe

• View Profile
    • Awards
Roman Unit Descriptions
« on: May 06, 2014, 07:46:39 PM »
I'll get cracking at those descriptions soon. Please let me know what you think of them. Constructive feedback is always welcome.

Principe

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Roman Unit Descriptions
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 05:40:34 PM »
Here is the first one. Roman Velites.

The Velites are the youngest and poorest among the Early Republics ranks. These men cannot afford to equip themselves with the gear required to serve in the Hastati. The Velites arm themselves with the Hasta Velitaris, a light javelin, from which they get their name. The Velitaris is of similar make to the pilum, the tip designed to break upon impact and make the javelin useless for enemies to use. The Velites used a Parma, or buckler, in case they were drawn into melee. They wore a light headpiece, such as a wolfskin. These could be used by commanders to identify the soldiers. The Velites were not organized into units, but were instead attached to Hastati units. Their tactical role included harrying the enemy into taking rash actions. They were also used against elephants and chariots, their lighter mobility making it easy for them to outmaneuver the clumsy beasts and chariots.

Please tell me what you think. Where can I improve? Any wrong info? All feedback is welcome and encouraged.

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 10:58:26 PM »
First of all, it sounds good  :) Perhaps, judging from the RTR VII descriptions ahowl11 hinted it, it could be a tad bit longer? One minor mistake, the Velites were only introduced in 211 BC (or 218 BC) , so in any case that would not be the Early Republic anymore ;) Perhaps you could extend it with the description of the ''invention'' of the Velites, have a look here, for example:

http://books.google.de/books?id=yKxKBPFIXLMC&pg=PA24&lpg=PA24&dq=velites+211+BC&source=bl&ots=6btn9u5jAx&sig=VKKMuj2hoesTXgBZOHNPUgBRPlo&hl=de&sa=X&ei=2KtqU9TGMYPY7Aad84CYCg&ved=0CFAQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=velites%20211%20BC&f=false

Or here (if you speak German, if not I could translate it for you or you could search after other books ;) )

http://books.google.de/books?id=glMMAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA260&dq=velites+einf%C3%BChrung&hl=de&sa=X&ei=WKxqU5HRCsPH7Aa7uoCABQ&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=velites%20einf%C3%BChrung&f=false
''I found a city of bricks and left a city of marble''

Augustus

Principe

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 02:42:00 AM »
Ah. Not early republic. Got it. Someone told me the Marian reforms marked the late republic and everything before that was early republic. But no matter. I'll correct it.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 03:25:58 AM »
Principe. I suggest doing your work in the TWC forums from now on, now that we have our dev forums set up.
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Principe

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 05:41:34 AM »
Ok, but could you give me a link? I forgot to bookmark it previously.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

bucellarii

• View Profile
    • Awards