Author Topic: Beating Khergits?  (Read 9311 times)

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
Beating Khergits?
« on: December 28, 2008, 09:37:18 PM »
How is it done? Archers get cut down. Cavalry (except Swadian Knights) get shot into oblivion quickly. Infantry get cut down.

Their armies are near impossible to escape from on the world map as well. I have a party of 28 experienced warriors, and am stuck in Khergit lands with 3 of their remaining 4 armies hot on my heels. They are travelling faster than I can, and when they catch me I will stand no chance in the battle. Whenever I stray into their lands, I am waylaid. Their armies always seem to be in exactly the place I need to be.

Also, as a less important question, when your forces have been "utterly crushed" (I only just lost the battle I'm going to refer to, the enemy (Vaegirs) had ~76 men and I had 45, it finished with the enemy having ~5 horsemen left) and you end up in Nord territories, surrounded by Sea Raiders, little money, your best weapons taken and no companions or horse, what is the easiest way to build back quickly into a fit state to get back to a safe place?

stormcloud

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Blah de blah!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Beating Khergits?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 12:34:02 AM »
the best way is to avoid them :P                                                      

lot of archers supplemented by the toughest melee (horse or infantry) you can get yourself

tournaments are a great way to rebuild, supplemented by a bit of trading because of your improved movement speed, you can outrun most stuff if you buy yourself a cheap horse

Andalus

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Beating Khergits?
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 12:35:31 AM »
Second question is easy.

1. Horse
2. Weapon, preferably at least one blunt.
3. Looters.

Spend whatever you have on that horse. Also, take missions of delivering messages, those 30 denars each build up when you have nothing. The reason I said blunt weapon is so you can capture the looters. Again, 50 denars each is useful to getting yourself back on your feet.

Finally, hire the free NPC characters (Marnid, Jermus, Firentis, Ymira, Deshavi). Firentis is particularly good as he is the best fighter, and also has a sword you can pinch if you really need one. :P                                                      

---------------------------------

As for Khergits, horsemen is the way, for both avoiding and in battle. Forget archers and infantry, go straight the way to Vaegir Horsemen/Knights. You might want to avoid upgrading some to Knight, actually, as Horsemen are faster, and have that all important shield to block arrows. You have the advantage here that Vaegir Veterans are semi-horsmen, which Swadian infantry are not.

This army will be both fast and effective against Khergits. Also, get your pathfinding skills up as high as possible, and try and keep morale high. Also, when you have just acquired a fair bit of loot, deposit it at a city before returning to Khergitland.

A general hint for avoiding enemy armies which are faster, is to enter a friendly castle or town, and select 'Stay here for some time.' Then wait until the offending army has pissed off, and come out. If is daylight, you will not even have to pay for your stay there. I use this trick all the time.

For battle, at the start, press F1 to order your army to halt, wait a few seconds (Literally - just a few). Then press F3 to charge. Basically, it is then a do or die game of chase. Your own participation is vital. If you have a lance (And believe me, you want one in this situation), try and get some decent couched damage lined up, it will be instrumental to victory. I presume yu know how to deliver it?

Finally, pinning the Khergit cavalry against the edge of the map is a cheap tactic, but effective in getting them where you want them. Just be wary of arrows while you are stopped stlll.

Edit: Stormcloud, i is so much teh betta thn u :P
Du bist kein Schmetterling! Du bist nur eine kleine Raupe in Verkleidung!

stormcloud

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Blah de blah!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Beating Khergits?
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 03:07:33 AM »
I used to fight khergit with rhodok, trust me, lots of arrows work

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
Beating Khergits?
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 01:57:50 AM »
Thanks for the response. I've solved my Khergit problem now; my army is so big and my renown so large they all flee before me  :lol:          .

I presume yu know how to deliver it?

No... I didn't even know it existed... How do I deliver it?

stormcloud

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Blah de blah!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Beating Khergits?
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 03:12:06 AM »
the only problem with a huge army is that if you want to catch anyone you move so slow that you can't

seriously I had 7 path finding (well a companion did) and full morale and I could only do 6.3 with my 110 men behemoth

Andalus

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Beating Khergits?
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 02:02:51 PM »
To deliver couched lance damage:

You must be riding fast enough that your lance/spear is automatically lowered. Do not hold down the button to attack, simply keep it levelled, and aimed at the target. As you strike, you will deal out an INSANE amount of damage. Literally, one strike kills. I have simultaneously taken out both horse and rider with 200 or so damage each.

This is very useful, btw, in tournaments, especially those at Praven, where it is all with lances. With pracise, you can zoom through the rounds with ease. And of course, if you bet 100 denars each turn, that is a net profit of 3580 denars...
Du bist kein Schmetterling! Du bist nur eine kleine Raupe in Verkleidung!

Ischenous

• View Profile
    • Awards
Beating Khergits?
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 05:38:35 PM »
About the money, not always true. Sometimes you get less because you win at the town more often.

About the couch damage,  if you move the mouse around it moves the point. This way you can target the rider or horse if you want to.

stormcloud

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Blah de blah!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Beating Khergits?
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 08:30:09 PM »
they more tourneys you win the better you're odds so the less you win from bets

I think it is a nice way of balancing the game, because if you do loads, get a huge army then waste it you need more work to build up the funds again