Author Topic: Space warfare with a focus on the effects of FTL on tactics  (Read 6627 times)

Flamekebab

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Space warfare with a focus on the effects of FTL on tactics
« on: September 01, 2014, 11:02:24 PM »
I don't see any other topics in this section (other than the announcement), just subforums, but hopefully this is the right place.

I'm currently trying to figure out a way to create a tabletop game that uses asymmetric information.
Essentially it's going to be a space warfare game that tries to take into account light lag, FTL micro jumps, and so forth.

At the moment I'm thinking that each ship model will have its own (small) deck of command cards. A card must be placed for each ship every turn even if it's only a blank one (of course the other player won't know it's blank).

I'm considering having some sort of beacon on the playfield that pings the whole battlefield every X number of turns but I'm still thinking about the concept itself.

Ideally I also want to allow for smaller skirmishes between tiny attack craft but I'm not sure yet whether that'll fit in.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Space warfare with a focus on the effects of FTL on tactics
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 12:09:37 AM »
This is most certainly the right place! (This is the first topic because the whole forum/area is new) :)

So will each person have one main ship? Or 2-3 of the little command decks?

And at what point will the command cards be revealed, as presumably they must be for the command to be enacted?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Flamekebab

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 10:12:26 PM »
As it stands I'm not sure how many ships each player would control. Ideally I'd like it to allow for medium-sized engagements where area denial is a major factor. The important thing being that it would have that Battleships aspect of not knowing exactly where the opponent's ships are.

Things like FTL micro jumps would mean that beam weapons could, at least in theory, be jumped ahead of. Careful not to shoot yourself!

The when aspect for command card reveals is what I'm currently thinking about. The idea of having beacons that ping the ships would mean that cards would be revealed in unison. I'm not sure how that'll interact with some other things just yet though. Some sort of queue might be important too - meaning a ship might move into scan range but the player spotting them might not know until next turn that before that happened they dropped some mines or something.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 03:19:40 PM »
Revealing in unison makes a lot of sense - there's not enough of that in games and even in games that don't include FTL stuff it makes sense to simulate the command -> reaction gap in battles...
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Flamekebab

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 12:20:18 PM »
I've not forgotten about this project, I've just been busy (mentally speaking). I'm trying to setup a casting operation and it's been stressing me out which rather stunts my creativity!

On the plus side the ships for the game are coming along and I've arranged to have them printed next week so there's a plus :)

Flamekebab

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 10:31:45 AM »
It's taking a little longer but at last progress is being made:

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 10:34:43 AM »
Oooo, they look good.
Most effective elected official. Ever. (not counting Jubal)

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 01:22:48 PM »
Ooooo, that is very nice indeed.

How are you doing the casting - are those resin? And what sort of input costs did you have for it?

Flamekebab

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 03:14:18 PM »
Those are 3D prints and I'll be making moulds from them soon. I'll then be casting them in resin using a pressure/vacuum chamber.

Exciting stuff!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 03:26:06 PM »
I've always wanted to have a go at resin casting, never got round to getting the kit for it.

Flamekebab

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 06:10:45 PM »
Well I'm in Cambridge if you want to see it in action :D

Tom

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 02:31:35 PM »
They look really sweet, must be quite expensive to start up though.

Flamekebab

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 09:47:06 PM »
Depends on what one considers expensive. My company basically hasn't restocked in ages because reinvesting the money in equipment seems a better next step.

Now to figure out what to do about flying bases!