Author Topic: Rosetta Probe "Shirtstorm" debate  (Read 11693 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Re: Rosetta space probe, Philae lander, comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2014, 01:34:17 PM »
I really need to do a video on the terminology of this. One issue, Colossus, is partly if not largely that you and Anita are using different definitions of the word "sexism".
- In common parlance and dictionary terms, and as you're using it, sexism implies any discrimination on the grounds of sex/gender. Clearly, this can go either way.
- In sociological terms/as Sarkeesian uses it, sexism implies consistent discrimination backed up by social power structures and constructs. This does not go two ways; men objectively and statistically do better in most walks of life than women.

Is this confusing doublespeak? Yes. But it's something to be aware of, the sociological form of these terms often uses the idea of them as oppression backed by power structures - which then feeds back into realisations like "you can't be racist to white people". Which is true in one sense as black people are at the lower end of the power gradient in society/are consistently discriminated against, and is obviously not true in another sense whereby black people can still commit racial hatred crimes against white people or whatever.

Also, admin mode:

Firstly, I need to split this thread.

Secondly, on personal argumentation: using "you" and questioning arguments in that form is okay. Referring to your sparring partner as a portugalwit is, on the other hand, distinctly frowned upon. Joek, formal warning on that point; if you want to make an argument of "if you believe X you are awful" it is much better to make it in the implied form "if someone/a hypothetical person believed X they would be awful" even if you believe your sparring partner may be that hypothetical person.

Also, whilst it brings me joy to see portugal under so much discussion, please try and restrict swearing to particularly salient points in your arguments.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

Re: Rosetta Probe "Shirtstorm" debate
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2014, 02:06:21 PM »
This all just got very serious and scary, too much for ol' CG. :(

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 03:00:09 PM by comrade_general »

joek

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2014, 05:52:04 PM »
@Jubal: Noted, although as point of pedantry more than mitigation I referred to the person who wrote the post which Colossus linked to as a portugalwit. The worst I said about Colossus was that if he thinks his convenience is more important than gender equality, then he would be a terrible person.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2014, 06:32:38 PM »
Pedantry noted; formal warning stands.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2014, 06:55:03 PM »
On another note, I keep reading the title of this thread as "sh!tstorm". :P

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2014, 07:38:36 PM »
Same. Was highly disappointed by the actual subject matter.

Othko97

• SotK Beta
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2014, 08:06:05 PM »
In all fairness a literal shirtstorm would be a sight to see.

On the subject matter, I'm with Jubal here.The shirt is not the problem, but it is being held up as a symbol for another issue. While this may not be fair to Dr Taylor or his shirt, or indeed his friend, it has still highlighted a deeper seated problem. The arguments seem to be against astrophysics, physics and the sciences in general being a mens-only club, which is a point which I believe is valid. There certainly does seem to be some disparity in the numbers of people in science by gender, one can stroll into pretty much any A-level or university classroom and see that for these subjects (particularly physics and computing) there are more males than females.

I would, however, question the causes behind this. I think that overall physics and science appeals more to men than women, whether due to some fundamental statistical difference in gender thinking, societal pressure (by this I mean a pressure for males to go into one of these subjects rather than more artistic ones, and for women to go into more artistic ones), or perhaps due to an unwelcoming feel in the subjects. I feel that a lot of the difference in numbers is due to the former two, and while the second is still worrying, I cannot really comment without data. This is a question I mentally ask about a lot of the statistics on gender inequality in other lines of work.

Also the confusion about terms is rather daft, and really someone should find another term for one of the two. Legally, I believe the former stands, so I would say that the second needs changing to avoid this confusion. This would make debates between people using the definitions much clearer and prevent so much hostility. I believe that a lot of the arguments between the two sides are similarly arguing past one another.
I am Othko, He who fell from the highest of places, Lord of That Bit Between High Places and Low Places Through Which One Falls In Transit Between them!

joek

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2014, 08:14:23 PM »
I would, however, question the causes behind this. I think that overall physics and science appeals more to men than women, whether due to some fundamental statistical difference in gender thinking, societal pressure (by this I mean a pressure for males to go into one of these subjects rather than more artistic ones, and for women to go into more artistic ones), or perhaps due to an unwelcoming feel in the subjects.

It is possible that there's some fundamental difference between men and women which causes men to be more inclined to go into STEM fields. Unless there's any evidence of this, I think that we should stick with the null hypothesis that societal pressures, the perception of STEM fields as a boys' club, and the general unwelcoming feel of those subjects -- all things which we know are factors in the situation -- are the problem. Even if there is to some extent a difference in women and men's patterns of thoughts which partially causes this, that shouldn't absolve us from working to prevent the other societal pressures which prevent women (and non-gender binary people, and queer people, incidentally) from going into STEM fields.

I agree that the fact that the academic and popular definitions of the words "sexism" and "racism" are subtly distinct is a bit of a problem, but I don't think there's much chance that we will be able to create another word to take on either of those meanings -- the two meanings are already well-established and so often artificial words fail to stay.

Othko97

• SotK Beta
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2014, 08:24:36 PM »
I think that we should stick with the null hypothesis that societal pressures, the perception of STEM fields as a boys' club, and the general unwelcoming feel of those subjects -- all things which we know are factors in the situation -- are the problem.

I agree wholeheartedly, you made the point I was attempting to make, but somewhat more succinctly.

As for the second paragraph, I concede that it would be somewhat more difficult to get people to actually use alternative terms put forward :P
I am Othko, He who fell from the highest of places, Lord of That Bit Between High Places and Low Places Through Which One Falls In Transit Between them!

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2014, 09:36:43 PM »
@ joek.

You don't know me, so you don't get to say what I believe if you actually think I was saying 'Don't be offended' meaning that I'm telling people they shouldn't be offended by something as opposed to, ffs people stop being so damn sensitive then you're wrong. Plain and simple. I know what I was writing and the intonation, you do not.

I was not offended I was merely warning you informally as I could see where it was heading, I don't want you to get sanctions for making it personal, I have nothing against you. I think you're wrong but if I met you in person by chance I'm sure you'd be awesome. But rules are rules, even when the person the rules are aimed to protect in this instance doesn't mind being called a portugalwit (not that you did as you point out). As it turns out a formal warning was required, I was just hoping to prevent that by reminding you of the rules on arguing/discussion here. Perhaps I should have been clearer on that.

Judge away joek, like I said you have but a fraction of what I think/do to read here. I don't actually require your approval to know that what I do is good. Actually I believe you are wrong and that I have a better interpretation of what is equality than you do, but then again that is pretty much what we're arguing about. I was using the ridiculous moniker 'femenazi' to differentiate quickly the difference between femenists and men haters, sorry if this was a little too much to understand. I'll try and be clearer next time on that as well.

You're all for equality, but you think that criticising men for doing something which actively harms the fight for equality is a bad thing? Which is true?

See, you're making the assumption again that you are unequivocally right in what is and isn't equality or harmful. If you take a look from my perspective: Objectification of assets is not the same as objectification of people. Then what I'm saying is not contradictory at all. Which leads into:

Yes I realise that is the technical definition of objectification, which is hugely harmful and should have proper sanctions against it. However, colloquially and more often (and as I am in all cases here) it is used to mean thinking of people as sex objects. That is just a neutral thing. I'm not saying anyone is acting on anything, if objectifying male was then to insist on buying 'privileges' from whoever he's objectifying then it turns into the former. Of course there are other ways that it turns into the former, I'm giving one example. I hope that's clear.

1. As far as I am aware, Anita Sarkeesian has not commented at all on Matt Taylor's shirt. So claiming you're hating on her when you are in a thread talking about the Philae landing, and the controversy over Matt Taylor's shirt, is just bullarmadillo.

As you may be aware, this already spilled over onto a bigger issue than just within the confines of discussion on his shirt. I was tying in a very recent, public figure to be the face of my ire for a nice visual representation.

Your continued skepticism does indeed please me. Don't believe me, I don't care. I am more than happy for you to continue going about things the way you do, I'm not trying to change you. I'm not in the habit of trawling back through the internet to find posts I read days ago, frankly I've got better things to do.

Again, maybe I wasn't clear enough, maybe you're misreading, I don't know. Not *everything* I say is literal, take some time to think about what I'm saying when I say 'I'm looking for pictures of cats'. Take a second and you may discover that really what I meant was 'when searching the interwebs for various things' and feminism seems to come up frequently, I'm saying is it too much to ask for people not to have this same argument in places like here/ dedicated forums instead of on twitter where things get nasty so quickly or youtube where I'm trying to read what people think about the video and not if the singer is a slut, whore etc and how the people who say that can go kill themselves.

Today I learned:

* Rosa Parks did not real.

* Martin Luther King did not real.

* The Stonewall Riots did not real.

* Malcolm X did not real.

* Emmeline Pankhurst did not real. Nor did Emily Davison. Nor any of the other Pankhursts.

Real equality has never been made by straight white men. I see no evidence that it's going to suddenly become so now. (And besides, many straight white men did comment on this, so your point is invalid).

They did all the hard work, I'm not denying that. Ok maybe I have to be clearer once again: Right now, this present day, the only thing stopping equality from being a real thing is white men not wanting to give up position of power. They have to accept it for it to become real *because* they currently hold power. I'm also saying that when Jub, yourself, penty, othko are in your 30's/40's it'll happen naturally as our generation has been brought up with more equality than any previous generation and I do believe that you have the potential to be the most accepting and equality based generation in history because you'll probably keep a lot of the ideals that we're espousing here.

Finally: Did Taylor put on the shirt in the morning with intent to piss people off? Hell no. His shirt did not read: Women are objects. It had pictures on it of scantily clad women on it, not even real ones. So even if you think he's objectifying the women on his shirt....They're not real people anyway. You can't then tell me that because he has a shirt with that on, he objectifies all women. That is simply ridiculous. You can't tell me that 'it's a symbol of society' because he's a scientist damn it, not a social role model. (Post needed a Trek misquote)
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

joek

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2014, 01:55:15 PM »
@ joek.

You don't know me, so you don't get to say what I believe if you actually think I was saying 'Don't be offended' meaning that I'm telling people they shouldn't be offended by something as opposed to, ffs people stop being so damn sensitive then you're wrong. Plain and simple. I know what I was writing and the intonation, you do not.

If you fail to communicate what you mean clearly, and I challenge the only sensible interpretation of what you mean from where anyone who is not you is sitting, it's not my fault if that was not what you actually meant.  The onus is on you to communicate your meaning more clearly.  Inability to read intonation is a known problem with text-based debates.

That said, I'm still, after you've told me that's not what you meant, I can't think of any other possible interpretation of:

Don't be so offended

or:

when I say things like 'Don't be offended' it's not to you it's to whoever I'm talking about...

I was using the ridiculous moniker 'femenazi' to differentiate quickly the difference between femenists and men haters, sorry if this was a little too much to understand. I'll try and be clearer next time on that as well.

The fact that you can't even be consistent about why you used the word "feminazi" (and the fact that despite my objections to it, and the fact that it's massively offensive, you continue to use it) is making it harder and harder for me to continue to believe that you are arguing in good faith.

You're all for equality, but you think that criticising men for doing something which actively harms the fight for equality is a bad thing? Which is true?

See, you're making the assumption again that you are unequivocally right in what is and isn't equality or harmful. If you take a look from my perspective: Objectification of assets is not the same as objectification of people. Then what I'm saying is not contradictory at all. Which leads into:

"Objectification of assets" and "objectification of people" is a distinction without a difference.  The use of the word "assets" as a euphemism is a prime example of the kind of objectification I'm talking about -- it's indicative of the idea that the only thing that women have to bring to the table is their looks.

Yes I realise that is the technical definition of objectification, which is hugely harmful and should have proper sanctions against it. However, colloquially and more often (and as I am in all cases here) it is used to mean thinking of people as sex objects.

NO, THINKING OF WOMEN AS SEX OBJECTS IS NOT A NEUTRAL THING!  WOMEN ARE NOT OBJECTS, THEY ARE PEOPLE!

Those of us who believe the radical notion that women are people can still think of women as sexual beings, but the fact that you keep on referring to women as sex objects is indicative of precisely the kind of attitude I'm talking about.

That is just a neutral thing. I'm not saying anyone is acting on anything, if objectifying male was then to insist on buying 'privileges' from whoever he's objectifying then it turns into the former. Of course there are other ways that it turns into the former, I'm giving one example. I hope that's clear.

No, that's not clear.  Not at all.  I'm not clear on how thinking of women as objects is "just a neutral thing", I'm not clear on what it would take for you to consider something objectifying a person rather than reducing her to merely her breasts and then objectifying them (hint: you can't objectify breasts -- they're already portugaling objects), and I'm not clear on why you think that referring to a woman's "assets" is okay.  Among other things.

Your continued skepticism does indeed please me. Don't believe me, I don't care. I am more than happy for you to continue going about things the way you do, I'm not trying to change you. I'm not in the habit of trawling back through the internet to find posts I read days ago, frankly I've got better things to do.

You could have just said that you weren't willing or able to support your argument at the beginning and saved me the time of dragging such an admission out of you.

Again, maybe I wasn't clear enough, maybe you're misreading, I don't know. Not *everything* I say is literal, take some time to think about what I'm saying when I say 'I'm looking for pictures of cats'. Take a second and you may discover that really what I meant was 'when searching the interwebs for various things' and feminism seems to come up frequently,

Again, maybe I wasn't clear enough, maybe you're misreading, I don't know. Not *everything* I say is literal.  Take some time to think about what I'm saying when I say "If you're just looking at cat pictures, you shouldn't have come across this debate at all. I've never searched "funny cat pictures" on Google and come up with a debate on feminism".  Take a second and you may discover that really what I meant was "when searching the interwebs for various things, it's entirely possible to avoid having to read any feminist discourse whatsoever". 

I'm saying is it too much to ask for people not to have this same argument in places like here/dedicated forums instead of on twitter where things get nasty so quickly or youtube where I'm trying to read what people think about the video and not if the singer is a slut, whore etc and how the people who say that can go kill themselves.

Here's a radical thought: maybe you should stop trying to police where other people express themselves.  The internet is not solely for your convenience, and feminists have the same rights to post what they want on their own Twitter feeds that everyone else does.  If you don't want to hear what any given Twitterer person (what is the noun for this this week?) has to say, you don't have to read their Twitter feed.

Similarly, youtube commenters can all say what they want.  Personally I think that 9/10s of youtube comments are at best inane drivel, and frequently hideously offensive.  I survive by not reading the comments on youtube videos.  You can too.

Look, one of the major problems that feminism has historically faced is the systematic silencing of women's voices.  In Classical Athens, women weren't allowed to speak in the Assembly, or in law courts, or even to give evidence in court cases.  It wasn't until 1893 that women gained the right to a voice by voting in New Zealand, the first country where this was permitted.  British women didn't have the right to sit in parliament until 1918 and didn't get the right to vote on the same basis as men until 1928.  Your saying that feminists should shut up and not speak where you, a white man, might hear them, is part of a historic pattern of oppression.  Do you understand the problem, here?

Today I learned:

* Rosa Parks did not real.

* Martin Luther King did not real.

* The Stonewall Riots did not real.

* Malcolm X did not real.

* Emmeline Pankhurst did not real. Nor did Emily Davison. Nor any of the other Pankhursts.

Real equality has never been made by straight white men. I see no evidence that it's going to suddenly become so now. (And besides, many straight white men did comment on this, so your point is invalid).

They did all the hard work, I'm not denying that. Ok maybe I have to be clearer once again: Right now, this present day, the only thing stopping equality from being a real thing is white men not wanting to give up position of power. They have to accept it for it to become real *because* they currently hold power. I'm also saying that when Jub, yourself, penty, othko are in your 30's/40's it'll happen naturally as our generation has been brought up with more equality than any previous generation and I do believe that you have the potential to be the most accepting and equality based generation in history because you'll probably keep a lot of the ideals that we're espousing here.

I agree that the most important thing stopping true gender equality is that white men don't want to give up on their position of power.  Guess what: that was even more true in all the historical examples I gave.  You know how equality wasn't achieved?  Women, people of colour, queer people, trans* and gender-non-binary people, non-Christian people sitting back and waiting for straight white cis-hetero Christian (and increasingly atheist) middle-class men giving up their own power out of the goodness of their hearts.

You say it will happen naturally eventually, but I'm not content to wait for it to happen naturally, eventually.  I want to do what I can right now to improve the position of people who have been historically disadvantaged, and the largest group of those, by far, is women.

Finally: Did Taylor put on the shirt in the morning with intent to piss people off? Hell no. His shirt did not read: Women are objects. It had pictures on it of scantily clad women on it, not even real ones. So even if you think he's objectifying the women on his shirt....They're not real people anyway. You can't then tell me that because he has a shirt with that on, he objectifies all women. That is simply ridiculous. You can't tell me that 'it's a symbol of society' because he's a scientist damn it, not a social role model. (Post needed a Trek misquote)

I am not saying that Taylor wore that shirt with the intent to piss people off.  I have not read anyone who has said that.  Almost every critique of the shirt I have seen thus far has begun with the disclaimer that the author doesn't believe that -- because people like you are so concerned with making this point.  No one is even saying that Taylor consciously objectifies women.  I don't believe that he does.  I think he simply didn't think.  I am happy that he apologised, I believe that he was sincere, and I hope that he has learnt something positive from the incident.

The problem is not Taylor's intent, or lack thereof.  The problem is that that shirt, and the fact that not a single person noticed, or thought it might be inappropriate for a press conference broadcast around the world, out of Taylor, any of his superiors who saw him that day, the interviewer, the interviewer's superiors, any of the camera or sound crew, either thought that it was problematic, or thought that it was worth calling Taylor out for it.  Which is indicative of the scale of the problem both in ESA, who, lets not forget, in theory have a campaign to bring women into STEM fields, and in the media.

Matt Taylor's intent is utterly irrelevant to the problem that people have been pointing out.

As for the idea that Matt Taylor is a scientist, not a social role model:

I don't care what his day job is, when you go on TV in front of millions of people you have a duty not to alienate half your audience.  Especially a half of your audience who have historically been oppressed by society in general, and excluded from the field which you are representing in particular.

So while in general Matt Taylor is not, you are right, a social role model, in this specific instance he absolutely is.

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2014, 09:42:47 PM »
@Joe

I'm going to go ahead and say you're probably autistic. You continue to display such characteristics. I'm sorry for that but hey, you still got to try at least buddy!

I am actually allowed to use the word 'femenazi' I get offended by atrocities committed to my people as well, but it's an important topic to talk about so words that are distasteful must be used.

No. See this is why you can't have nice things. Saying someone looks good is objectifying their looks (again, more common use of the word). You can also revere them as a deity of humour, an epic beatbox. Saying someone looks good does not mean you can't have any other opinions about them. I think this is where we're finding the most trouble. You can in fact feel more than one thing towards a person. You can think more than one thing about a person.

You're getting so het up on terminology, you're missing all of the picture. If I try to explain further, I'll just be treading on ground already crushed. I have considered what you've said, I have tried to be in your shoes and decide that any picture of a woman not covered from the ankles up is objectifying women and that sex is such a foreign concept that there is no difference between wanting to have sex with a woman and thinking of her as only useful for that. I've tried darn it, but I just can't. What can I say, common sense is such a curse. :(

Also, me disagreeing with what conversation should be where is not the same as me policing it. Am I writing a letter to youtube HQ telling them how the mean femenazis were spoiling my fun? No. No, I'm not doing this because everyone has the right to free speech (Myself included! Yay! That means I can say things like this!), what I am doing is saying why I hate all the bullarmadillo that goes hand in hand with hard-line feminism. Stuff that ironically, you should hate too as it's slowing down the process of equality!

Similarly, youtube commenters can all say what they want.  Personally I think that 9/10s of youtube comments are at best inane drivel, and frequently hideously offensive.  I survive by not reading the comments on youtube videos.  You can too.

'HALP HALP! I'm being oppressed!' Would be a bad reaction to what you've just said. Me saying 'The comments are for people to share what they like and dislike about a video and to discuss the topic, not for the promotion of entirely separate agendas.' would be a better reaction.

Look, one of the major problems that feminism has historically faced is the systematic silencing of women's voices.  In Classical Athens, women weren't allowed to speak in the Assembly, or in law courts, or even to give evidence in court cases.  It wasn't until 1893 that women gained the right to a voice by voting in New Zealand, the first country where this was permitted.  British women didn't have the right to sit in parliament until 1918 and didn't get the right to vote on the same basis as men until 1928.  Your saying that feminists should shut up and not speak where you, a white man, might hear them, is part of a historic pattern of oppression.  Do you understand the problem, here?

So once again you've missed the point again, too stuck in your own head. It's kinda like... Ah wait no I already said that at the start.

The problem is not difficult to understand. However that's also not what I'm saying, once again using typical lefty tactic of putting words in other peoples mouth. Don't you guys have like, another trick? What I am saying is this: Please keep the discussion where it's relevant. It's an open request to nobody in particular. Hell, nobody who this is even aimed at is going to read it.

I agree that the most important thing stopping true gender equality is that white men don't want to give up on their position of power.  Guess what: that was even more true in all the historical examples I gave.  You know how equality wasn't achieved?  Women, people of colour, queer people, trans* and gender-non-binary people, non-Christian people sitting back and waiting for straight white cis-hetero Christian (and increasingly atheist) middle-class men giving up their own power out of the goodness of their hearts.

You say it will happen naturally eventually, but I'm not content to wait for it to happen naturally, eventually.  I want to do what I can right now to improve the position of people who have been historically disadvantaged, and the largest group of those, by far, is women.

Again, you go for the extremes. There is this nice, grey, comfy patch of land called 'the middle ground'. Here is a shocker: Men can.....Work *with* women on this! What a Eureka! moment that was. I feel like we've both come along way, there will be tears, there will be hugs, there will be drinking. Oh lord how far we've come. I do disagree that you can force it to happen quicker, I believe that forcing the issue will create more resistance but that's just an opinion, there is no way to know the right answer there and I'm sure you can accept that. Oh gosh darn it, we had come so far only to be brought back down at the last hurdle. Gee willikers buddy, we were so close!

Having a shirt with women on also does not alienate women or anyone else. It alienates people with too much time on their hands. Am I alienated because I wanted them to be guys with pecs as large as my face? No. Was my friend alienated because she likes science and also has a vagina? No. Her words: 'He doesn't look much like a scientist, cool shirt'.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2014, 11:14:29 PM »
@Joe

I'm going to go ahead and say you're probably autistic. You continue to display such characteristics. I'm sorry for that but hey, you still got to try at least buddy!
Fist off, cut this out now.
Secondly, educate yourself on autism. joek hasn't shown any particular signs of autism (not that its relevant at all) and even a qualified professional shouldn't be attempting to decide whether someone's autistic due to what they've posted on a forum. Unless they've posted the phrase "I am autistic", but even then, people do lie a lot.

Just to be clear, as an admin I am giving you a formal warning.
As Jubal has already said on this very page it is not ok to personally insult (or try to insult) other users.
More importantly, it is utterly intolerable to insult someone on the basis that they may have any particular disorder. Not only is this a very petty and mean spirited attack on its target it also attacks everyone who has this disorder or displays certain traits associated with it. This is a direct violation of our ToS. This also applies to using insults based on race, gender, sexuality, religious belief etc.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 10:29:21 AM by Pentagathus »

joek

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2014, 10:31:14 AM »

I'm at least slightly impressed that you've managed a personal attack, an incorrect armchair diagnosis based on no evidence, and being patronising all in 166 characters.  I mean, it's the mark of someone in bad faith, but you've managed to do concisely, at least.

I am actually allowed to use the word 'femenazi' I get offended by atrocities committed to my people as well, but it's an important topic to talk about so words that are distasteful must be used.

Wow.  So your argument is that because you are (presumably?) Jewish, you're allowed to minimize the deaths of 11 million people in concentration camps and extermination camps, and the worst war the world has ever known, by comparing a group who were attacked by the Nazis to Nazis.  I'm glad we've got that sorted.

No. See this is why you can't have nice things. Saying someone looks good is objectifying their looks (again, more common use of the word). You can also revere them as a deity of humour, an epic beatbox. Saying someone looks good does not mean you can't have any other opinions about them. I think this is where we're finding the most trouble.

This is, by my count, the third time I've explained this.  Pay attention.

Saying that someone looks good is not objectifying their looks (which is meaningless), nor even objectifying them.  It's paying them a compliment.  You keep asserting that "objectifying their looks" is a "more common use of the word" but not only is it not (I've never heard anyone other than you use it), we are discussing objectification in the context which it was originally being discussed in, and in that context it's pretty clear that the definition I gave in my last post is the relevant one.

You can in fact feel more than one thing towards a person. You can think more than one thing about a person.

As I've never denied this, this is irrelevant.  Unless you are suggesting that it's my position on the back of no evidence, in which case it's merely intellectually dishonest.

You're getting so het up on terminology, you're missing all of the picture.

Classic tone trolling.  My emotional state (which you are doing an excellent job of inferring from little evidence, btw. Keep it up!) has no relevance to the correctness or otherwise of my views.  Please try to keep to the substantive points.

If I try to explain further, I'll just be treading on ground already crushed. I have considered what you've said, I have tried to be in your shoes and decide that any picture of a woman not covered from the ankles up is objectifying women and that sex is such a foreign concept that there is no difference between wanting to have sex with a woman and thinking of her as only useful for that. I've tried darn it, but I just can't. What can I say, common sense is such a curse. :(

And this is a strawman.  My position is not that any woman not covered from her ankles up is objectifying women.  My position is not even that any image of a woman ditto.  Either you've genuinely misunderstood what I thought was a very clear part of my position (in which case it would have been more helpful to ask for clarification) or this, too, is arguing in bad faith.

Also, me disagreeing with what conversation should be where is not the same as me policing it. Am I writing a letter to youtube HQ telling them how the mean femenazis were spoiling my fun? No. No, I'm not doing this because everyone has the right to free speech (Myself included! Yay! That means I can say things like this!), what I am doing is saying why I hate all the bullarmadillo that goes hand in hand with hard-line feminism. Stuff that ironically, you should hate too as it's slowing down the process of equality!

If you can't see how your actions are problematic even if you aren't actually censoring anyone, maybe you should go back, read my argument again, and think about it slightly harder.  The point is that you telling feminists where they should and should not make their arguments is reminiscent of the thousands of years in which women literally were not allowed to make political points or speak in a political context.  To give an analogy which might hit closer to home, it's as if I were to tell you that I was sick of seeing Jews wandering about the streets where I live and I wish they stuck to the ghetto.  A view which is utterly repulsive.  Does that help?

'HALP HALP! I'm being oppressed!' Would be a bad reaction to what you've just said. Me saying 'The comments are for people to share what they like and dislike about a video and to discuss the topic, not for the promotion of entirely separate agendas.' would be a better reaction.

Maybe it's difficult for you to understand, but the inappropriateness of Matt Taylor's shirt is actually relevant to the video in which he is wearing an inappropriate shirt.  (There's also the fact that I just searched "Matt Taylor" on Youtube, and the top 5 videos were one of his apology, and 4 with pictures of the shirt and anti-feminist titles.  And then a number of others with such titles as "a rant about feminists insulting Dr. Matt Taylor").  If your issue is with youtube being "polluted" with political opinions, you should be complaining about MRAs and anti-feminists.

So once again you've missed the point again, too stuck in your own head. It's kinda like... Ah wait no I already said that at the start.

Please tell me what point I've missed.  Just asserting that I've missed a point is not helpful.

The problem is not difficult to understand. However that's also not what I'm saying, once again using typical lefty tactic[...]

Is this relevant?  My being a lefty doesn't effect whether or not my position is correct.

[...]of putting words in other peoples mouth. Don't you guys have like, another trick? What I am saying is this: Please keep the discussion where it's relevant. It's an open request to nobody in particular. Hell, nobody who this is even aimed at is going to read it.

Show me where I've put words into your mouth.  Implying I'm arguing in bad faith without evidence is hardly a good way of making your point.

And if you can show me any example of me (or anyone I'm agreeing with) taking this discussion somewhere where it's not relevant, I might accept you have a semblance of a point here...

Again, you go for the extremes. There is this nice, grey, comfy patch of land called 'the middle ground'.

Here is a shocker: just saying "there's a middle ground" is irrelevant and does nothing to demonstrate that the middle ground is the position we should take.  It's the fallacy of the golden mean.

Here is a shocker: Men can.....Work *with* women on this!

Here's another shocker: no where did I say that they couldn't.

I do disagree that you can force it to happen quicker, I believe that forcing the issue will create more resistance but that's just an opinion, there is no way to know the right answer there and I'm sure you can accept that.

This is true, but I think you'll find that history is on my side here.  It's never happened before that equal rights have been achieved by not campaigning; I don't see why we should believe it will now.

Having a shirt with women on also does not alienate women or anyone else.

Except that we know, for a fact, that it does alienate some, because they told us so.  Why else do you think we're having this discussion?

It alienates people with too much time on their hands.

Dismissing valid concerns by asserting that people who have them just have "too much time on their hands"?  Classy.  And, you know, intellectually dishonest.

Am I alienated because I wanted them to be guys with pecs as large as my face? No.

Are you someone who is part of a group which has been historically treated like it is valuable only for its looks?

Is this relevant to the fact that clearly some people do have concerns about the shirt?

Was my friend alienated because she likes science and also has a vagina? No. Her words: 'He doesn't look much like a scientist, cool shirt'.

Does the existence of one woman who didn't personally feel alienated by the shirt negate the existence of other women who did?

Is this relevant to the fact that clearly some people do have concerns about the shirt?

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2014, 01:02:14 PM »
@ Penty, I wasn't insulting him, autism isn't an insult it's a different mental state. Yes I do know what it is, I've met quite a few people with it during group therapy who tell us about it during the sessions. Apparently there aren't enough people with what I've got to make a group from.

@Joek. I'll need proof of lack of autism. This is a heavily exaggerated example of what you've been asking from me. You're asking me to find people for evidence whose voice I'm...voicing, those with no opinion on the matter, those who don't give a portugal. This is one of the reasons why I have a problem with how you're going about all this. The 'proof' you show is nothing of the sort, there are no counterpoints included, the data is held in isolation. You can't just analyse things and call it proof. It's data. I don't think you're autistic at all, I was just using a gross example to illustrate a point.

No, I'm allowed to use the word, because it's both technically meaningless and useful in this context where I differentiate between a person with realistic feminist goals and agenda, and a person who hates men and thinks women are superior as opposed to equal. Whether you agree or not, idgaf, this is how I've used it, it's shorthand, get it? The rest of that was because it seems your delicate eyes can't bear to read something distasteful so how would you cope dealing with something even more grim but also as important to talk about? Nothing to do with me being Jewish in particular, saying 'my people' was just me identifying with another group of oppressed people.

Objectifying people as in thinking they are an object is not even a thing. Nobody without a basis in slavery looks at a person like they are a thing and not a person. It just doesn't happen, how the hell could it even happen, you'd have to ignore everything about them other than their existence. It just can't be done by a normal person. If you think it is so commonplace, you've not lived. You've not met enough people.

You seem to always take the stance that someone is either a feminist or anti-women. Only the Sith deal in absolutes (which I think is an absolute in itself...).

Why don't you tell me then what counts as objectifying women in real terms? The entire porn industry maybe? What if actually nobody is asking you to 'save' them and you're hopping on a bandwagon because you read something by a journalist online. I'm not saying you are, I don't think you are at all actually, I think you're naive as to how the world works. Not everything is black and white, people aren't put into boxes, nobody is 'just' this that or the other, peoples beliefs are malleable and *everything* is dependent on criteria being met.

On the shirt: It's clearly a piece of artistic design, designed by a woman I'm sure you're aware, saying he shouldn't have worn it is trying to censor it. Start censoring art and you're on shaky ground. The only people it offends are people that are *looking* to get offended by anything and everything. If there are people that have so little going on in their lives that they feel the need to get angry over a shirt then yeah, they have too much time on their hands. 'They' did not tell you, some of them wrote something online. Many, many, many more don't give a portugal about the shirt.