Author Topic: Start Here! Requirements and other things  (Read 2455 times)

Lizard

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Start Here! Requirements and other things
« on: February 04, 2015, 03:39:02 PM »
Hello and welcome to Programming for the Web: Part I!

If you're looking here it's because you're already part of this course, or you're looking to become part of it. That's great! If you need more info, have a look further down and you'll find it.

Course Requirements
This course assumes no knowledge of programming for the web (hence it's part I). You do not need a server, but you will need your own website where you can upload files you create. More information on where you can get one for free is included here!
You need your own website, where you can upload web files for viewing and marking. I recommend signing up here http://www.000webhost.com/ and following all the steps for a free web-space. As soon as you've got a website that you can FTP into (or use the file uploader on the site), post it in the appropriate forum!
You will also need a program called Brackets, available free from Adobe: http://brackets.io/ This is basically a fancy text editor, with syntax highlighting, auto-completion, and a live-preview feature for web programming. I use it, and I recommend you do, too. (If you already have your own favourite web programming program, you don't need Brackets).
Finally, you'll need enthusiasm and a love of programming. But I assume you already have those.

What will this course cover?
This course covers three essential languages for web development: HTML5, CSS3, and JavaScript. Roughly speaking, the course looks like this:
1. HTML5: compliance, tags, organisation of a page
2. CSS3: colour, font, scope of application
3. JavaScript: making things move, making things interact
The course is six weeks long, with more time being spent on JavaScript and CSS3 than HTML5.

Great! How do I sign up?
Head on over to the course sign-up thread, in the main Academy forum, and put your name down! Great to have you on board!

But I still have questions...
That's great too; post them here and I'll answer them as soon as I can!
A coder, a hoodie, a coffee pot, a robot.

"A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Start Here! Requirements and other things
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 05:56:14 PM »
I should theoretically know all of this, but I guess I may as well sign up anyway :P
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Lizard

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Start Here! Requirements and other things
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 06:09:53 PM »
Woohoo! I'll put your name down!
A coder, a hoodie, a coffee pot, a robot.

"A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."