Author Topic: Postbug  (Read 25198 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Postbug
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2015, 10:45:04 PM »
Nice! :)

We're just starting planning ExiliCon in earnest, so I'll message you sometime soon about whether we can get fliers or some form of Postbug there. :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

HemingwayGames

• View Profile
    • Hemingway Games
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2015, 06:24:44 AM »
That's amazing that Exilian has its own Convention. Good luck organising the next one, and please keep me updated on the news :-)

HemingwayGames

• View Profile
    • Hemingway Games
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2015, 02:33:44 PM »
My new blog post on the Freeplay Independent Games Festival and exhibiting Postbug at the Freeplay Fete ‪

http://hemingwaygames.com/blog/postbug-freeplay-fete

HemingwayGames

• View Profile
    • Hemingway Games
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 02:32:26 PM »
Hi Exilian team, thought I'd let you know that I've just published Postbug on Kongregate.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/HemingwayGames/postbug

This new version includes a Premium mode which includes new bugs to play:

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 03:15:26 PM »
I feel the greenbug and orangebug should perhaps be more recognisably other species? Maybe a shield bug for green and a dung beetle or something for the orangebug.

The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

HemingwayGames

• View Profile
    • Hemingway Games
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2015, 04:25:42 AM »
Good point, Jubal. The orange bug is based on the crab (armour and gills) - which I think you've pointed out with the shields. Btw I've taken the shields out of the game to reduce the number of powerups you can collect in the game. There was a bit of confusion on how they worked, so I decided to consolidate the options.

I've tried a number of new features over last 3 months. They included a rework of the levels (so that there were 3 smaller levels with varying difficulty) and giant spiders. I've pulled this work out because I feel I need to simplify the game instead of making it more complex. I've even pulled out the canvas for now. Btw, I have mixed feelings about the levels atm.

I think the aim now is to lock down Postbug and release it on a number of platforms. If I get enough interest, I'll then look at extending it. Your suggestion of different bug types to play is at the top of my list of new features.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2015, 01:54:58 PM »
I guess the thing is that Postbug could be a number of things - to be a good short-play online arcade game, simplification is good, but the engine I think certainly has a lot of potential for other stuff as well. Possibly fork it into a locked down "Postbug" and an advanced "World of Postbug" that includes the canvas and lots of modification options, different bugs, and different levels and suchlike?

HemingwayGames

• View Profile
    • Hemingway Games
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2015, 08:00:56 AM »
World of Postbug.. I like it :) All of the objects in the game are data driven so there's potential for a high level game editor. Next step will be the level editor and I'll authenticate users user the Kongregate platform to store the data.

HemingwayGames

• View Profile
    • Hemingway Games
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2016, 02:37:11 PM »
Hi everyone, I've just released the level editor for Postbug. Click on the Level Editor link from the game's title screen and sign in with your Google account to create your own levels.

http://postbug.hemingwaygames.com/

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2016, 11:53:08 PM »
Lovely, I've started working on a run :)

Is there any way to share runs with others once they're done? Being able to name the rooms would be a cool feature too.

HemingwayGames

• View Profile
    • Hemingway Games
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2017, 07:57:21 AM »
Hi Jubal, the plan is to allow sharing in the next release. I'm thinking of having a publish button and supplying a URL that can be shared for each published level. I also plan on having a featured area within the game. I'm more than happy to put your level up as Postbug's first feature level :)

I'll also look into room name edits. I'll need to consider how I'm going to moderate the content.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2017, 10:53:32 PM »
Awesome! I've just finished building my run, all 16 chambers done now :)

I guess you could let people share their own by link regardless, and have a moderated selected list of "featured" ones?

HemingwayGames

• View Profile
    • Hemingway Games
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2017, 12:16:43 PM »
Hi Jubal, FYI I've added Room Titles to the Level Editor. The World/PostRun title is at the top left and the Room Title is at the top right of the Level Editor page. Just click the text to edit. Cheers.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2017, 02:55:41 PM »
Wonderful - my level is now all fully named, and I've done a couple more edits to help make it more playable too :)

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2017, 12:16:50 AM »
For those interested, Jubal is now creating Postbug maps of his own - see this thread.