Author Topic: Amazon:Total War  (Read 55372 times)

SubRosa

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • http://home.comcast.net/~subrosa_florens/witch/index.html
    • Awards
Amazon:Total War
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2009, 12:40:44 AM »
This evening I added another new territory. This one in Scandinavia. The city of Aranaes is the Old Swedish name of Earnanaess, where the lair of the dragon that killed Beowulf was.

Its creation is another response to my current Valkyrja campaign. I have been sitting on Vicus Aesti and Vicus Gepidae, and have never had any sea trade at all because I have been at war with Germania. So I created Aranaes mainly to serve as a place you could take in order to get some Baltic Sea trade going, and loaded it with resources so it is worth the effort.

SubRosa

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2009, 02:09:23 AM »
I have not been slacking. I have created a Mercenary Amazon Axewoman unit to replace the Amazon Hoplites on the northern plains, and a Rebel Militia Axewoman unit to add to the rebel population in those parts. I have also renamed Porrolissum to Sarmizgetusa and moved it to a more historically correct position.

Currently I am working on the animations. Here is a little preview:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 02:09:49 AM by SubRosa »

comrade_general

« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2009, 03:57:59 AM »
nice work, i admire your passion for this

SubRosa

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2009, 09:03:46 AM »
Thank you comrade. I do not have a girlfriend at the moment, so my passion has to go somewhere...  ;)

I also did this, not using the javelinman animation anymore:

SubRosa

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2009, 12:44:08 AM »
I finally finished the implementation of the overhand spear attack for hoplites and their cousins. While I was at it I gave them the shield_wall ability rather than phalanx, and removed their sword sidearms (the latter because they were always drawing it to charge whenever they attacked).

It was a lot of work, because I had to edit almost all of the .cas files involved to anchor their shields to the elbow rather than the hand. Then I spun the shields 45 degrees to the left so if they had a rectangular shield they were holding it straight up rather than at an angle. If they had a round shield I did the same so their symbols would appear right side up.

I also changed a few shields and textures, most notably for the German Spearwarband and the Armenian Heavy Spearmen. Both new shields are courtesy of Halie Satanus.

Here are some pics:

Amazonian Armoured Hoplites stand ready.

The lines clash.

Death in the Ranks (I think this will be a new loading screen).

Amazon Hoplites vs. Spartans.

The Spearwarband of Germania waits for the ravens.

Armenian Heavy Spearmen charge!

Germania vs. Armenia.

SubRosa

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2009, 04:52:38 PM »
I am finished with all of the animations, new unit cards for some units that changed to an overhand attack, and have even added a Temple of Demeter to Amazonia and the Valkyrja. I have also created separate EDU entries for the Valkyrja units, allowing me to give them all snow bonuses, and create unit descriptions specific to Amazonia and the Valkyrja.

For the example, the Amazonian Companions description is now this:

Amazon Companion Cavalry are picked from the social and military elite of Amazonia. All are either born from aristocratic families or have earned that position through distinguished service. When not on campaign they live in the Royal Household and serve as an extended bodyguard and coterie of the Queen - her Hetaroi - or Companions. As such they form a personal bond with her that goes far beyond the loyalty of other troops. Often these women go on to serve as officers and generals, some might even be adopted into the Royal Family itself.

The Companions are expert horsewomen, riding the best mounts and have the finest armour available. Each is armed with a good lance and a longsword for close combat. As heavy cavalry they can be a decisive arm of battle, and are able to deliver a devastating charge that can smash all but the strongest enemy formations. However, they do need to be careful - as with all cavalry - when attacking spearmen. Bravery is of little use when galloping straight onto a row of gleaming spear points!

While the Valkyrja Companions have this:

Amazon Companion Cavalry are the social and military elite of Valkyr. All come from influential families (the word aristocracy is never used by the Valkyrja, but in truth this is what they comprise), or have attained high status through distinguished service. When not on campaign they live in the First Equal's Household and serve as an extended bodyguard and coterie - her Hetaroi - or Companions. As such they form a personal bond with her that goes far beyond the loyalty of other troops. Often these women go on to serve as officers and generals, some might even be adopted into her own family.

The Companions are expert horsewomen, riding the best mounts and have the finest armour available. Each is armed with a good lance and a longsword for close combat. As heavy cavalry they can be a decisive arm of battle, and are able to deliver a devastating charge that can smash all but the strongest enemy formations. However, they do need to be careful - as with all cavalry - when attacking spearmen. Bravery is of little use when galloping straight onto a row of gleaming spear points!

I have a few sprites to generate, and I am thinking of separating the EDU entries for the Valkyrja and Amazonia Generals. Then I will probably be releasing version 2.5. Most likely sometime this weekend.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 05:58:09 PM by SubRosa »

comrade_general

« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2009, 08:55:20 PM »
Very nice screens! Wish I could take them half as good as that.  :$

SubRosa

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2009, 11:14:42 PM »
Thank you comrade. It is just a matter of using the movie_cam switch, and taking your time to look around for the right thing.

I have a bunch of screens that I took while looking to create a few new loading screens that showcased the Valkyrja Drakones, Berserkers, and Gorgon Elephants. I came out with some nice ones.

Drakon shield wall.

Valkyrja Late General's Bodyguard shooting at close range.

Valkyrja Late General's Bodyguard charges home!

Drakones vs. Chosen Axemen.

Valkyrja Berserkers charge a German Spearwarband.

Top of the world Ma!

Valkyrja Heavy Cavalry Chopping down the Night Raiders.

Poeni Bowling.

Elephant Mayhem.

There will be no dawn for men.

Gorgon Agema Axewomen vs. Carthaginian Sacred Band.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 11:15:42 PM by SubRosa »

SubRosa

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2009, 01:25:16 AM »
Amazon: Total War version 2.5 is now out!

You can get it here:
Amazon Total War 2.5 For BI - Full Version

Amazon Total War 2.5 For Rome Total War - Full Version

Saves from previous versions are not compatible with 2.5.

Here is a list of changes:

Version 2.5 (BI)
  • Many bug fixes, including one of Amazonian Chariots causing a ctd.
  • Used Signifer One's Animation pack to change all hoplite and similar troops to overhand attacks, removed their secondary weapons, and gave them shield wall rather than phalanx formation. Also used the animation pack to implement new animations for all archers and horse archers.
  • Added Temple of Demeter to Amazonia and the Valkyrja.
  • Changed name of Neo Themiskyra to Vanahemir and moved it to a new location, adding a new territory to the old location and giving it to the Valkyrja.
  • Created separate EDU entries for the Valkyrja units, giving them all snow bonuses and sand penalties, as well as allowing for tweaking of the unit descriptions of both Valkyrja and Amazonian units.
  • Added Mercenary Amazon Axewomen and Rebel Militia Axewomen to northern steppe region.
  • Renamed internal name of Roman faction to Slavs, removing the Senate tab and allowing for emergent hordes.
  • Added new territory of Gautar to Scandinavia.
  • Made farms destroyable.
  • Renamed Porrolissum to Sarmizgetusa and moved it adjacent to the mountains.

Version 2.5 (RTW)
  • Many bug fixes, including one of Amazonian Chariots causing a ctd.
  • Used Signifer One's Animation pack to implement new animations for all archers and horse archers.
  • Added Temple of Demeter to Amazonia and the Valkyrja.
  • Changed name of Neo Themiskyra to Vanahemir and moved it to a new location, adding a new territory to the old location and giving it to the Valkyrja.
  • Created separate EDU entries for the Valkyrja units, giving them all snow bonuses and sand penalties, as well as allowing for tweaking of the unit descriptions of both Valkyrja and Amazonian units.
  • Added Mercenary Amazon Axewomen and Rebel Militia Axewomen to northern steppe region.
  • Renamed internal name of Roman faction to Slavs, removing the Senate tab and allowing for emergent hordes.
  • Added new territory of Gautar to Scandinavia.
  • Made farms destroyable.
  • Renamed Porrolissum to Sarmizgetusa and moved it adjacent to the mountains.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 11:48:25 PM by SubRosa »

comrade_general

« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2009, 02:24:36 AM »
sweet  B)

*downloads*

Andalus

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2009, 12:24:28 PM »
Very good. :)
Du bist kein Schmetterling! Du bist nur eine kleine Raupe in Verkleidung!

SubRosa

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2009, 11:54:58 PM »
I have recently learned of a CTD being caused by the Eastern culture foot Archers. This affects the BI version only. I have released a patch here that fixes it. The full version download has also been updated to 2.5b. Save games from BI 2.5 are compatible with BI 2.5b.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 11:55:29 PM by SubRosa »

SubRosa

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2009, 09:02:03 PM »
I have added reskins for the copy-cat Legionaries of Numidia, Armenia, and the Seleucids, courtesy of Medusa0.

Armenian Legionaries

Seleucids

Numidians

You can find Medusa's texture pack here.

SubRosa

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2009, 04:55:34 AM »
I am now working on integrating Pinarius' horses. His horse textures are much, much better than those of vanilla. They also provide more variety in the appearance of different faction's horses.

It is going to be a lot of work however. He did not include sprites. So now I have to create new sprites for all the horses that have changed a shade in colour. That is at least half of all the horses in the game. Most likely three quarters when I am done.

Here are some samples of what I have have integrated so far:

The Valkyrja Medium Horse is a roan

All General's Horses are now white.

Most Heavy Horses are now black.

The Amazonian Medium Horse is a red.

The Sarmatian Light Horse is a grey-brown

« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 04:56:26 AM by SubRosa »

SubRosa

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2009, 03:22:58 AM »
I finished creating new sprites to go with the new horses. I have decided not to create new unit cards for every mounted unit that has changed their horse, as that would take forever. However, I probably will create new ones for the Amazon factions.

In the meantime, I have been playing with descr_lbc_db.txt in order to make the city views more interesting.

It is a very simple file to mod. You only have to add in the DMB entry of the units you want in the format you already see there. They do not even have to be units owned by the faction whose cities you are giving them to. Just do not try to add a mounted unit, as it will cause an immediate CTD. Also, units weapons will not be visible, but they will still walk around as if they are holding them. Shields are also still visible. So regular infantry units look strange. However, archer and crew units will walk around in a normal posture, as will generals and captains. So they are your best choices to use. I also found that mounts (without riders) work fine. So you can have horses, camels, elephants, dogs, pigs, etc... roaming around your cities.

So in version 2.6, expect to see views like this within your cities: