Author Topic: Podcasts  (Read 3596 times)

Flamekebab

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Podcasts
« on: April 21, 2015, 04:01:41 PM »
I don't know about you guys but one of my favourite things to listen to are podcasts. My listening habits tend to reflect my geeky nature but occasionally there's a bit of a wildcard.

Currently I listen to:
  • Press Play to Save (A rather friendly American show focused on video gaming)
  • The Giant bombcast (having listened to the guys when they still worked for GameSpot as The Hotspot)
  • Upvoted by Reddit
  • The AskHistorians Podcast
  • Linux Voice
  • Bad Voltage (I used to be an avid listener of LUGRadio before it ended and have been looking for something to replace it. I found it today - a show that's two of the main guys from LUGRadio - back together again.) (edit: One of the two new guys they got for this show is an anti-vaccination person. Unsubscribed.)

There's a few others I listen to less regularly like The Sporkful, Radiolab, Radio 4's Documentary of the Week, and Ending the Sexual Dark Age.

How about you guys?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 03:09:31 PM by Flamekebab »

Othko97

• SotK Beta
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
    • Awards
Re: Podcasts
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 08:57:54 PM »
I also enjoy podcasts, although I don't listen to that many. I currently listen to:
  • Hello Internet (A show which is basically just a conversation between educational videomakers CGP Grey and Brady Haran)
  • Pragmatic (A show about the practical application of technology hosted by an electrical engineer, no longer in production)
  • The History of English Podcast (A history about the history of the English language)
  • The Tolkien Professor (Lectures from an English Literature Professor on Tolkien's works)

I also occasionally listen to Radiolab, and I did listen to a BBC series on the History of Mathematics, although it was pretty short.
I am Othko, He who fell from the highest of places, Lord of That Bit Between High Places and Low Places Through Which One Falls In Transit Between them!

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 08:24:51 AM »
I thought I might as well post this here too:

I've been listening to a podcast by Dr Andrew Huberman by the name of Huberman labs podcast. It's pretty new, he's a neuroscientist who's research seems to be focused mainly on vision and the effects of light on circadian rhythm, sleep and mood etc but he's obviously well read in a load of other aspects of neuroscience. His podcast is just him talking about the neuroscience and physiology within certain themes (first month was on sleep, second was on neuroplasticity and learning, third is on mood) and most importantly explaining how you can use this information to affect your daily life, e.g. using light exposure to optimise your sleep patterns, simple techniques to reduce anxiety/nervousness or to increase focus and attention. It's really interesting if you like learning about science but it's also useful to understand how a certain method works as it means you can more easily fit it around your schedule or taper it to suit you. He always uses examples backed by research and provides sources, he's not afraid to say he doesn't know about certain topics or can't answer certain questions and he's not trying to sell anything. It's a really great podcast, you should check it out. He also has an Instagram and he has had some discussions on there with other prominent scientists in a similar vein (although only one of them is still available because he was doing these as live feeds and apparently instagram will automatically delete recordings that go longer than an hour).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b6bwcWK6GE is the youtube link.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 07:54:32 AM »
I continue to only listen to one podcast regularly - James Holloway's Monster Man, about D&D monsters (and gods and suchlike) which comes out often enough that I can barely keep up with that. It continues to be very good though.

I did listen to Wolf 359 for a while last year and mean to go back and finish it - it's a SF audio drama - but season 3 kind of lost me with some new characters I wasn't fond of.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...