Author Topic: Hi guys.  (Read 2791 times)

BeerDrinkingBurke

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Innkeep
    • Awards
Hi guys.
« on: April 30, 2015, 10:24:22 AM »
A few weeks back an admin from these forums contacted me on Twitter and suggested I make a thread over here about the game I'm developing. It's taken me some time to get round to it, but here I am.

My name is Daniel, and I'm currently working on a game called Innkeep! in my spare time. I've been an avid PC gamer for some 16 years starting with playing stuff like Magic Carpet, Outpost and Ultima Underworld on my friends 486 dx. Baldurs Gate I & II and the original Fallouts were kind of a golden age of gaming for me. Then I started to find my way back again when I discovered Dwarf Fortress in 2008, got on Steam in 2010, and gradually started following more and more indie titles in development. The last couple of years have been a blast. So many great indie titles. Gunpoint in particular though was what finally pushed me to start making something in game maker as well.

I've always been fascinated with games. That dovetailed pretty well with being introduced to Tolkien when I was only about six or so. You can imagine that my little brain nearly exploded when I saw MB's board game Heroes Quest for the first time.  I must have played it hundreds of times. When my friends and I got bored of the scenarios I'd invent new ones for us to play. I did something similar with little choose-your-own adventures. Later on I mucked around with game design as a teenager back in the 90s using Quick Basic and did quite a bit of work on a text-based adventure / RPG where you were a detective. It had a night/day cycle, hunger, transport around the city via taxi with talkative drivers, all kinds of amazing stuff that nobody ever saw. But I lost all the copies I had of it... Heh. Ah well. From 1998-2004 or so I also did some building on a Wheel of Time MUD. I guess that establishes my nerd credentials. These days I'm working as a translator/interpreter for an animation studio in Tokyo. But I hope to be returning to teaching/research in a less crowded place in the near future.
Developing a game called Innkeep! Serve Ale. Be jolly. Rob your guests. https://innkeepgame.com/

Lizard

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Hi guys.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 10:34:29 AM »
From one dev to another, welcome! I hope your time on Exilian is fruitful :)
A coder, a hoodie, a coffee pot, a robot.

"A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 01:44:54 PM »
Hi there!

Welcome to our community. I hope you enjoy your time here, and look forward to seeing more of you.

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 08:17:03 PM »
Your job sounds pretty amazing, welcome dude :)
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 12:38:30 AM »
Welcome :) Do give me or anyone else with a funny coloured name a shout if you need anything!
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...