Author Topic: Roman Mod for Shogun2?  (Read 4768 times)

ahowl11

• RTW Modders and Tutorialists
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Roman Mod for Shogun2?
« on: July 07, 2015, 10:18:04 PM »
Some ideas have been floating around and a few people are interested. Here we will continue to discuss the possibility of a Roman Mod for the game Total War Shogun2.
I personally do not own the game, but will be looking to get my hands on it soon. What I do know is this:
1) The map can be edited, so we could make a brand new map bigger than the one used in R2 or Attila
2) A tool is being made by Zarathos that can possibly export items from Rome2 and Attila, I'm guessing to Shogun2?
3) Many believe Shogun2 is much better than Rome2
4) I've heard the AI is better.

Let the few of us discuss this and try to get more people on board so that when the time is right be can hopefully begin making something pretty interesting.
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Roman Mod for Shogun2?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 01:55:13 PM »
Hey dude, to start with I've put 1000+ hours into both Rome2 and Shogun2 (steam profile: Rorschach) so I'm hoping I can help you out here

The map can be edited but it can't be completely remade, you can't easily add in extra cities or regions (though it is possible) and I think (although not sure tbf) that it's impossible to change the landmass itself (guessing because of all the naval stuff but I'm not sure). If you're thinking of the much advertised "Shogun 2 Map Editor!", that's for battle maps not the campaign map.

Shogun 2 AI isn't better, it just used far fewer units so there was less that can be exploited.

Shogun 2 is likely the best TW game because it was battle focused and accessible (streamlined/easy) but it didn't add all the gimmicks that R2 had. As an aside I believe that the map size was in it's favour, it was possibly the smallest TW game and felt very manageable in comparison to the rest. Despite all the noise on the TWC and official total war forums, the average player does not conquer the world or even a quarter of it (saw this on a total war forums post by craig).

How would you handle the animations? S2 only caters for one type of spear, one sword, just bow and grenades (no jav/slings).

Just some things to think about from a veteran gamer.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

uanime5

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 06:53:08 PM »
As someone who's modded the Shogun 2 map extensively I can say that the campaign map can be edited. I have been able to add both Korea and China to the map, along with many additional regions in Japan. Remaking the sea is difficult but not impossible, you just need to make the map, make all the map files, then add the ports.

Shogun 2 does have slings as there are units that throw fire bombs. However it does not have shield or javelin animations.

Regarding map size I've attached a few images below to show the different map sizes. Green is the largest M2TW map I made, red is vanilla R2TW, blue is the vanilla Shogun 2, purple is Shogun 2 map area where settlements work correctly, and yellow is the maximum size I can make Shogun 2. For some reason if you go too far left or too far right the campaign buildings (settlements, farm, towns, ports) won't appear. Though they are marked by a flag and can be attacked.

If we're not going to make a huge map in Shogun 2 or make the map very different to Rome 2's map we may as well use the Rome 2 for this mod since it will be significantly less work (fewer units, unit cards, map is already made, etc).

uanime5

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 06:54:09 PM »
All maps combined.