Author Topic: LIFE Development Blog  (Read 8729 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: LIFE Development Blog
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 11:06:56 PM »
Character naming is the only issue, as the rather rudimentary savegame system creates (entirely unencoded) .txt files with the character name as the filename - so the only place I need to check this anyway is in that specific savegame function, to avoid them making a character file that overwrites the storage file!
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2016, 11:58:20 PM »
I'm still crap at graphics, but oh well - welcome to the famed and deadly Ice Caves of Phrynoris Minor :)

The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2016, 01:41:12 AM »
That looks like a good place to throw a thermal pod.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2016, 08:57:00 AM »
Yes, I was thinking that. Getting there!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2016, 11:39:25 PM »
Some new screenshots from the planet of Mytilenus Beta! Things are progressing quite well, still tons to do but the whole thing feels a lot more do-able than it once did...

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2016, 01:26:14 AM »
This looks awesome. Definitely something I'd play.
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2016, 11:01:01 AM »
Hopefully closed beta will be a thing sometime in the next month or two. I have a LOT of plans I could implement for this thing, but I think I only need about 20-25 more scenes (depending on the number/complexity of ridiculously bad mini-animations I make) produced before I have a beta that you can play through from character start to endgame. :)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2017, 08:48:34 PM »
Back to work! Have added five new puzzles and better explanations to the Time Lord computer, so that will provide a bit more variation between games :)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2017, 11:12:15 PM »
Much, much work has been done recently! Definitely outpacing the feature creeps :)

Still a little way to go, but several major bits like spaceship add-ons have now been tested and pretty much all the locations are now in (though there are some possible extras that may end up occurring). There are still some quite major tweaks to the mining system to do, and some bits to add onto Phrynoris, but the game feels a lot more completeable than it did a week ago.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2017, 10:59:09 PM »
Adding some extra alien beasties that you can cart around in your inventory. The animation process remains hell, and I'm still only on beast one of a planned at-least-three... eep.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2017, 10:27:46 PM »

Most recent addition, the civic centre of the main settlement on the Terraformed Moon of Pangloss III (which was a terrible thing to name a place, and then I compounded the problem by splitting the area into a Space Dock and a Planet Surface area, but oh well, I've done it now).

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2017, 11:17:46 PM »
I created a two-room tutorial level today, which hopefully talks new players through the basics of using a text parser. It's got its own theme music and sound effects, two new short animations, and an extra achievement for completing it (entitled "Nice to meet you - run for your life!")

I'm half-considering overhauling literally all the dialogue in the game to move it to direct speech, but I'm not sure it's worth it given very low takeup for beta testing etc for the game. :( I'm definitely going to add one more feature, aka "invasion mode", and possibly German keyboard support, and then I think I'll do an open release of the whole thing. I don't feel like I can get it considerably improved without feedback and I don't have the energy to add much more content that people aren't going to use, so I may as well just get it released and then go try and work on something else I guess.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2018, 05:52:42 PM »
Decided on a partial dialogue overhaul, adding elements of direct speech to give some extra flavour to interactions with key plot-relevant characters. I've started on this with the main base quest-givers, but not really sure how many & which other characters should get the treatment, and how much of it?