Author Topic: Open Universe Exploration Space Sim  (Read 2672 times)

GriffinPyros

• View Profile
    • Awards
Open Universe Exploration Space Sim
« on: March 19, 2016, 01:02:46 AM »
I was recommended by a user of the forum to inquire about assistance here on a project I'm working on. I'm currently working alone and have been for some time without any real movement on a project that has been in development for some time. I'm developing a simple space sim and have access to a hand crafted engine designed specifically for this type of game. I need one or two people, passionate about the genre, that want to work along side myself to see this project completed.

If you want to contact me outside the forum, I'm most easily reached via Steam and Skype by the same name.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Open Universe Exploration Space Sim
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 02:31:01 AM »
This sounds interesting - what are your needs in terms of people to work with? Are you looking for medium skill all-rounders, or are there specific areas such as graphics, writing, design or art that you particularly need people for? :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

GriffinPyros

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 03:20:48 AM »
I'm trying to dig through the engine right now, see what is working and what needs to be "fixed". The engine is pretty easy to add new content to as far as models, textures, stuff of that nature. I may need to have someone with more experience in coding than myself, so basically anyone, to look over the engine and see how much work it would be to get it working vs just dropping the engine entirely. When I was running the project in the past I was in charge of getting everyone else assigned with tasks. I was the one running the project and had very little hands on which I didn't like, but did it cause that's what I was needed to do, keep everything running smoothly. We have over 2 years worth of documentation written up but words on a text document do not equal game unless thre are able people to work on it.

Sorry, I'm rambling.

GriffinPyros

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 04:04:13 AM »
Ok, I just got in contact with the original developer of the engine we're using, he gives us his blessing to continue using the engine. He's been unable to rebuild his PC since late 2014 and can't continue work on the engine without a decent PC. Aside from that, I should be able to get the game to work if we can get the UI and assets in.

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 05:25:53 AM »
What art style are you planning on using? Is it a 2D game or a 3D game? 3rd person or 1st person? Sidescroller or top down? 16bit or vector?
Most effective elected official. Ever. (not counting Jubal)

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 09:50:45 AM »
I'm usually game for a challenge, but I'm experienced mostly as an all rounder and at generating content like writing or ingame scripting, I might not have the in depth skills needed to fix an engine. Graphics aren't my forte though I'm competent to muddle through some 2d stuff. (Basically my past experience is a lot of game modding, some AI scripting, and a bunch of writing simple stand-alones like text adventures).

What sort of model of project are you looking at for this, I guess is the other question I think is worth clearing up at this stage? Is your aim to go for broke on making something high quality enough to make money, or to get a nice polished piece out to prove commercial standard capabilities, or do you see this as more of an "I love this game and I want to see it out even if I'm basically a hobbyist?".
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

GriffinPyros

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 01:40:41 AM »
Yes, I'm mostly out to see it completed, even on a stripped down scale from the original concept. It's a third person, 3d space sim in a 6x environment. So, think Homeworlds or Freelancer as far as freedom of movement. That is all done already, it's mostly just giving the game a usable UI and waiting for the coder to get his hands back on his engine again. The game, at its core should handle like Howmworlds 2 or Eve Online. The engine has the potential to be treated as an MMO though we have no intention of making an MMO out of it, since that takes away from the community a lot. The game has built in mod support so we can allow the community to run their own servers. As mentioned, much of the engine is complete, we just need to put skin on the bones. I'm not expecting to compete with Eve or Star Citizen, just want to make the game immersive and fun to play.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 10:57:39 PM »
Hmm... you're welcome to get in contact with me anyhow, I could certainly look at what needs doing and what I can help with.