Author Topic: YouTubeRed  (Read 2122 times)

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
YouTubeRed
« on: November 06, 2015, 12:45:11 PM »
Anyone got anything on this?

It's a subscription service for youtube. I immediately question why anyone would get it instead of adblock but then realise that I don't use adblock to support content creators. So it's for people like me then who don't really want ads but want to keep their favourite channels running? Doesn't seem to be. The money from YTR goes into a pot, YT takes it's cut and then the rest of it is divided up to each channel depending on how many minutes of their content people watch. Well that seems fair-ish-I-guess in theory but: Who are the people that are going to be subbing? Mostly adults with money. Who watches more minutes of video than any other demographic - kids. So really the money given by people to support the channels they watch end up going to pewdiepie and markiplier. Or so I see it anyway.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 12:51:12 PM by Colossus »
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

comrade_general

Re: youTubeRed
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 12:47:18 PM »
Never heard of it. Use adblock.

Othko97

• SotK Beta
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
    • Awards
Re: YouTubeRed
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 09:41:17 PM »
Yeah, it's intended for people who want to support content creators but hate ads. It's a good idea in principle, but it has been executed terribly. Not only is the money collected into a pot which is then divided between everyone, which will stop your money going where you actually want it to, but they are also not telling anyone how the money will be divided. Worse still is that content creators were forced into signing the new contract mafia style - Youtube basically said "Sign this or all your videos will be set private". It could have been something, but they made some poor decisions on the way :/
I am Othko, He who fell from the highest of places, Lord of That Bit Between High Places and Low Places Through Which One Falls In Transit Between them!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 12:25:43 PM »
Large corporations armadilloting all over content creators? I'm shocked. I'm so so very shocked.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Flamekebab

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 04:30:12 PM »
I think I prefer the Patreon approach that many creators are taking!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 10:10:32 PM »
I like patreons in theory, but never donate to them in practice, which I feel bad about, but usually I'm more up for giving one-off lump sums for defined content; partly because I don't have a stable income, so I avoid signing up for regular payments (exceptions being paying bills and donating to Exilian and that's about it).
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...