Author Topic: Deep Space Nine  (Read 4812 times)

comrade_general

Deep Space Nine
« on: December 23, 2015, 04:43:38 PM »
Just finished watching this series again last night.  :'(

Definitely the most standout but overshadowed series of ST.

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
Re: Deep Space Nine
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 11:32:26 PM »
Just started watching this through on the 'flix.

I always liked any ST series - even the naff ones. But never DS9. I'd seen the odd episode as a kid but thought it wasn't for me. Because (of what I have since learned is a commonly cited argument that) it's called star trek! But they are stationary!

However young and foolish me has been proven wrong yet again: I really like it!

I love that the characters have their various affiliations, which lead to them having different agendas. It's in stark contrast to TNG, which I previously cited as my favorite series. For example when there is a problem it's not always resolved by having a lovely chat in the briefing room. Instead they will frequently argue or maybe just disobey orders to get what they want. Also there is a whole political backdrop to it all, too. I probably missed that because it's well established in the early episodes, but I wasn't aware of it.
That's only my first impression as of half way though season 1. I'm aware that there are lots of story arcs in DS9 that are much better than in any other series, so looking forward to seeing what the team get up to.

I often wondered what it would be like to forget I ever saw something I really like and see it for the first time again (LOTR or star wars etc). It would be so cool. I feel like I've actually found something like that. An old little gem from the nineties that should have been my favorite the whole time.

I guess it's my MO to only get into things at least 1 or 2 decades after everyone else.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 11:41:13 PM by Tusky »
<< Signature redacted >>

comrade_general

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 11:52:42 PM »
+9,000 for this! Keep watching it only gets better! Keep posting back so we can talk about it! !!!!

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 06:52:03 PM »
Just watched Maquis 1 & 2 from season 2.

Enjoyed those a lot. Good to have an introduction to the maquis and what their deal was. I'd previously only heard of them via boring old Chakotay from Voyager, and I think they pop up in a TNG episode, but don't remember ever learning why they were formed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 07:41:22 PM by Tusky »
<< Signature redacted >>

comrade_general

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 10:04:21 PM »
*Chipotle
*Gul Dukat
*The Sisko

Sorry not sorry, can't help myself. lol

I still think the Maquis are kind of douchy though, like they caused more problems than they solved.

You're getting closer and closer to the good stuff. I mean great. It's good now, great armadillo is on the way. ;)

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 09:23:55 PM »
I still think the Maquis are kind of douchy though, like they caused more problems than they solved.

Yep - what I like about them, though. They are a group that show the less savoury side of humans. They are terrorists and nefarious and have an admittedly single minded but nevertheless mildly interesting agenda. They provide a nice contrast to the usually sanitised federation - where everyone is usually only interested in exploration, stellar troubleshooting and impressing everyone with how great humans are. It's one of the things I'm liking about the series as a whole - plot lines are often about people not getting along, and conflict.

You're getting closer and closer to the good stuff. I mean great. It's good now, great armadillo is on the way. ;)

Yeah I've heard that a lot, looking forward to it.

Just watched the episode where O'Brien is put on trial for a crime he didn't commit.
THOUGHTS.

I've noticed a common thing: Most of the episodes move the plot along at a nice pace, but it seems they usually get to about 1 or 2 minutes left before they have to hurriedly wrap up everything that's been started, so feels rushed.

It's normally not a problem in linked episodes so guess it will go away with more episodes like that in arcs and things.

<< Signature redacted >>

comrade_general

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 01:09:38 AM »
Simple answer: O'Brien must suffer at least once in every season lmao.

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 07:09:18 PM »
Why does Lwaxana Troi keep turning up in DS9? Did everyone think she was great in the nineties or something?

All of her stories have been lame. All of them.

<< Signature redacted >>

comrade_general

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 08:51:49 PM »
She was the Great Bird's wife... not that he was alive by then. Couldn't tell you m8.

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 07:20:37 PM »
deep

<< Signature redacted >>

comrade_general

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 09:32:52 PM »
Psshhh things is fine. :P

I mean when you look back there were some really armadillo centuries, like the medieval ones, and by far some of the worst atrocities in human history happened in the 20th.

Anything we have now in the western world is silly first world problems.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 01:24:00 AM by comrade_general »

comrade_general

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2019, 11:55:51 PM »
So Tusk are you still watching this or finished it?

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2019, 08:52:54 AM »
I am slowly plodding through it. Yesterday I watches s06e06 which was jolly exciting

<< Signature redacted >>

comrade_general

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2019, 11:02:06 AM »
Yeah boi that is an absolute beast of an episode!