Author Topic: The Daughters of the Dragon: A Valkyrja AAR (ATW)  (Read 32278 times)

SubRosa

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • http://home.comcast.net/~subrosa_florens/witch/index.html
    • Awards
The Daughters of the Dragon: A Valkyrja AAR (ATW)
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2009, 12:20:20 AM »
My navy has once more run afoul of that super Rebel fleet.

I do not stand a chance against those guys.

Out east, Amazonia has sacked Artaxarta and laid siege to Ulski.

Toxaris sallies from Ulski. It seems the Amazonians forgot to bring any archers with them.

I did not forget them. I have been reinforcing Ulski with Agema Archers since I first saw the Amazonians coming north. Here you can see that they can hit the Amazonians from the walltop. Lovely.

After allowing my Agema Archers and Horse Archers to work them over a bit, Toxaris and Klymene the Mad charge the cavalry on the Amazonian left.

The Amazonians are gobbled up.

While this was going on, my Horse Archers were enveloping the rest of the Amazonian army. Then they all turned and headed for the exit.

There was nothing to do but charge them down and hope for the best.

The Amazonians were cut off from the map edge.

Then they were destroyed.

Out west the lewd German Faction Heir has returned for a lesson in manners.

Pantariste the Mighty rode out to school him.

He learned his final lesson at the hands of my Horse Archers.

Scratch one more German army.

The Germans have the plague, and now so do two of my spies. There is nothing to do now but spread it to all of their other cities.

To the south, one of my stinkers removes another Thracian General from his duties.

Then in the same turn Xanthippe the Mighty ran down the Thracian who had attacked Pella. It seems he has hired every mercenary in Macedonia since his defeat.

The battle would be fought in these deep woods.

These Thracian Infantry came forward a bit too far, so Xanthippe charged and destroyed them.

That brought their General up. It was too good a target to pass up, I send everything I have after him.

A ferocious melee ensued.

Finally the Thracian was brought down.

I had to break off the pursuit of his broken bodyguard however, as their Mercenary Hoplites were coming up.

Then it was just a matter of taking them apart one unit at a time.

Scratch one more Thracian army.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 12:23:12 AM by SubRosa »

SubRosa

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2009, 01:32:59 AM »
In the east, the Royalists have sent two assassins after First Equal Klito, but she is more than a match for either.

While to the west, the Thracians think they can turn the tables on Xanthippe the Brave. There are quite a few of them, but all are low tier. This means their remaining cities must also be small.

I want that high ground.

Such lovely ground for an archery faction like mine.

Their first army is shot to pieces then run down.

Time for round two. I see that their extreme right is made up of only Thracian Peltasts. So I bring my General around from my own right and charge them with both my Generals.

Blammo!

The rest of the Thracians soon followed.

Heroic Victory.

I think a farmboy from Tatooine must be leading this Rebel fleet.

Whoever he is, the Force is with him.

The Germans and the Greeks are now allied? Well, I was going to attack those damned Greeks soon anyhow.

I am fabulously wealthy.

The hills of western Greece are infested with Thracians. Molpadia rides to exterminate them.

Once again I go for the high ground.

Now this is such a great view.

So is this.

Charge!

No survivors, my only losses were to friendly fire.

In the cold north, Cynane attacked a Dacian force that blocked her march upon Lovosice.

Not even Chosen Men can stand against Amazons.

No survivors.

The same turn, Cynane continues on to Lovosice.

She has brought an Onager with her, so she can assault immediately.

The Dacian Prince within is said to wear a helm that once belonged to a God.

He is certainly brave. He comes right at me as soon as my women enter the city.

While the Drakones pin him in place, Cynane circles around behind him.

The Dacian Prince is squished between the two forces like a bug.

Then the remaining defenders were baited from the town square by horse archers on one side.

Allowing the rest of the army to enter the square unopposed from the other side.

The Dacians are slaughtered in the street. None survive.

As it is a tiny settlement, I Occupy.

The same turn, Veleda assaults Aquincum to the south. Within is the Dacian King.

Again, he is baited from the square.

Then it is taken without opposition.

The King is dead.

No survivors.

Once more, as it is a tiny settlement, I Occupy.

This leaves the Dacians with only Iuvavum left. I do not see any family members within, but their faction has not been destroyed. They must have a General or two still roaming around the countryside somewhere.

There he is. If I can smoke him, the Dacians will be history.

Back in western Greece, Kardika the Honest leads the assault upon Apollonia.

The road to Valkyrja victory is paved with scenes like this.

The street was blocked by Thracian Peltasts, who once more put a far sterner fight than light troops can be expected to.

But there is no stopping the Valkyrja war machine. The city was taken with no survivors.

Kardika Occupies as well. These settlements are so small there is no one to slaughter even if I wanted to.

Salona is all the Thracians have left, and Molpadia is already on the way to take it while Kardika remains behind in Apollonia. I have brought over a half-stack of Peasants from Pella to provide a garrison to assist her. This is a common strategy of mine, which allows me to instantly move an army out of a city I have just taken and continue to operate in the field.

In the east, I concentrate the garrisons of Ulski and Thatis upon a Royalist army that has come north onto the plains.

I start against their cavalry.

Now I have turned one flank.

Then they were surrounded.

It was a slaughter.

The Amazonians were broken.

SubRosa

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2009, 02:19:29 AM »
In the Aegean, Admiral Skywalker is once more making life miserable for my navy.

Once again I am most ingloriously thrashed.

In the west, I am busy spreading plague among all of Germania's cities.

Veleda and Cynane have run the last Dacian to ground.

Not my ideal choice of a battleground. I deploy Veleda's women outside of the dense forest that takes up the center of the battlemap.

But the Dacians end up deploying in the open on the other side of it.

That puts them close to Cynane's army as she enters from the other side of the field.

Veleda's army quickly comes up to trap the Dacians.

I have hired some local mercenary scum to lend a hand against the Dacians local mecernary scum.

Up the hill, Cynane's Horse Archers are taking the Dacians apart.

Finally Veleda comes to grips with the Dacian King.

He is cut down before Cynane can even get there to help out.

The Dacian army was in flight.

No survivors.

With that Dacia is no more. That should be my third faction of the campaign.

To the north, Pantariste the Mighty has marched west to lay siege to Vicus Gothi, and Maia the Conqueror lays siege to Vicus Marcomanni. Neither has infantry or siege equipment. I am hoping to lure German relief armies out to precipitate field battles, or to simply take the cities by blockade.

With that the Germans want me to pay them to stop killing them. Not bloody likely.

I would be tempted to pay Admiral Skywalker and his Rebel Fleet to leave me alone however.

These Rebels are unstoppable.

Lousy Egyptians.

I wonder what caused my mutual allies to have this falling out?

There have been numerous little skirmishes in the east like this one, but none of great size or importance.

I have been slowly cleaning up the Royalists.

Uh oh, the evil Greeks have marched from Attica and are now advancing through our lands. Next turn they will be able to strike either Thermon or Larissa. Probably Thermon as it is less heavily defended.

Time to finish my work with the Thracians. Molpadia assaults Salona.

After the missile troops clear the way, her infantry enter the city.

The Thracians would put up a fight deeper in the city however.

I advance upon the town square from three directions, here you see the view from my right flank.

Molpadia pursued the Thracians down the main street for too long, and has gotten far ahead of the rest of the army. I am obliged to pull her back.

These Thracian Infantry leave the square to go after her, giving my Horse Archers a lovely shot at their flank as they did so.

Then suddenly my Beserkers were in it. I never ordered them to attack. They just did so on their own. Or maybe one of the Thracians was able to hit one of them, pulling them into the fray.

With that there was no point waiting any longer, I sent everyone in to support the Berserkers. In moments only the Thracian King was left.

Molpadia went into hand to hand combat with him.

She cut him down with her own hand.

She left no survivors.

Once more, I Occupy.

With that the Thracians are destroyed. My fourth faction of the campaign. I wonder why the defeat movie is not playing? I did not do anything to tinker with it.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 02:23:44 AM by SubRosa »

SubRosa

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2009, 02:33:38 AM »
Just as I had hoped, a German relief army attacked Pantariste the Mighty outside of Vicus Gothi.

The army that attacked me had the high ground, but no archers to take advantage of it.

I bait out one of their Noble Cavalry into a Scythian Horse Ride.

They quickly rout.

That got the attention of their other Noble Cavalry unit, who foolishly charged Pantariste, not seeing the rest of my army charging them.

They are quickly put to flight.

Now only the garrison of Vicus Gothi was left.

I take their General on a Scythian Horse Ride.

We have not gone very far at all, and he has lost a third of his bodyguard.

Now he has lost two-thirds, and Pantariste turns to finish him.

He routs first.

My Horse Archers cut him down.

No survivors.

The Goths are lead away in chains.

Well it is about time! 50 years into the campaign and the Romans are finally attacking the Gauls.

The Greeks have changed their mind about invading me.

In the east, Klito the Cunning assaults Myrina.

I stretch out my army in a long line, this causes the Amazonians to put most of their troops at the gatehouse, where I am not going to attack.

Instead my Onagers create a breach at the other end of the wall.

In we go.

A unit of Axewomen tried to stop me, but First Equal Klito put them to flight.

Now the rest of their army started coming down the road from the gatehouse.

I know my Drakones do not stand much chance against those Agema Axewomen, so I throw everything I have at them.

That includes four Agema Archers. Now it is the Agema Axewomen who do not stand much chance.

Now their General is coming.

My Agema Archers slaughter her bodyguard.

She is cut down by my Drakones.

Still not finished with them yet. Their own Agema Archers are waiting around this corner.

I have at them.

After a grueling melee, the last of their gatehouse troops are finished.

Then it was on to the square, which was defended by a lone unit of Amazon Cavalry.

They were crushed, and the city mine.

Victory, but with heavy losses from Amazonian missiles and Agema Axewomen. If I had not forgotten to use my Berserkers I probably would have lost fewer.

Klito Occupies. I want to get this city up to Huge as soon as I can as well.

In other news, it looks like the Gorgons have finally knocked off the Numidians.

On the steppe, the Amazonians have not had the nerve to attack my border cities, and so they are milling around the southern plains. I finally saw an opportunity to attack one of their stacks without the other two being able to counter attack me later in the turn.

I move up into contact as fast as possible.

Then I pick them apart.

Their General was lured into a Scythian Horse Ride and trapped.

She runs for it.

But there is no escape.

Heroic Victory.

It also netted me a famous battle marker.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2009, 04:59:19 PM »
Moved to AAR board.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

SubRosa

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2009, 02:20:16 AM »
A small update tonight.

Once again, I benefit from a stroke of luck. A German army has come to the relief of Vicus Marcomannii and attacked Maia the Cunning.

I deploy on a hill at one side of the field, this way the German reinforcements from the city will be coming in directly behind the German army, rather than on my flank.

I quickly bait out a unit of Gothic Cavalry.

Then I charge them from open-shields with Maia.

They insta-rout.

Maia pursues, but has to be careful of these Naked Fanatics. Well, maybe she does not. They have lost 130 men in less than a minute of arrow-fire. Barbarians never learn that heavily-armoured fanatics are better than naked ones.

Now Maia has to stop, as the rest of the German army is in the way.

Then it was standard horse-archer tactics. Pick them apart and destroy them one unit at a time.

Their Captain was squashed by an Onager boulder. Onagers miss everything else smaller than a stone wall, but they always manage to find Captains and Generals.

Now it was the turn of the garrison.

It was pretty much a repeat of the first, except this time my Drakones got to have some fun as well.

Heroic Victory, and a famous battle marker.

Then men of Vicus Marcomannii are led away in chains.

SubRosa

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2009, 03:18:51 AM »
On the eastern steppe, the garrison of Campus Aorsi has ridden out to intercept an Amazonian army.

I send my cavalry around their flanks.

Now time to get rid of those Onagers.

Then it was a matter of taking them apart a unit at a time.

Scratch another Amazonian army.

After the battle there was still a small Amazonian remnant nearby, so I sent a young General out to deal with them.

I like this picture.

Heroic Victory.

Out on my new western frontier, all three cities I have just taken are 1st tier. Not really much use to me, as I cannot even retrain horse archers in them. So I have been sending waves of Peasants in from my big cities and disbanding them. This has gotten all three settlements up to 2nd tier in just a few turns. I think in a future version of ATW I will include a colonist unit to facilitate this sort of thing.

It looks like the Marian Fairy will be coming in a matter of turns.

I have a scarfaced General. I have not had one of these in a long time. She got it fighting rebels too. If she were not so old I would send her south to be an extra heavy cavalry unit in the Army of Armenia that is forming on the southern steppe.

First Equal Klito the Conqueror assaults Trapezus.

The Amazonians had nothing to oppose my entry. The battle would begin as I approached the square.

Their General was cut down in a furious melee with my Drakones.

Then it was down to the Axewomen.

Victory. I lost a lot of women to that General's javelins and those Axewomen's flying axes however.

I Occupy. It is nice to finally take on a faction of the same culture. Without the culture penalty it is so much easier to hold on to what I take.

Further east, only one Amazonian army remains on the steppe.

They have good ground.

I quickly turn their flank.

Then I start munching on their soft gooey filling.

The Amazonian army is being shredded.

No survivors. The steppe is now clear of Amazonians.

In the west, Molpadia has finally returned from Salona and marshaled the Army of Vengeance. However, when I tried to make my Berserkers walk up to join the stack behind Molpadia, instead they decided to walk all the way around the mountain range to the south of them instead, using up all of their movement points in the bargain. I wish RTW had an Undo feature to save me from annoying things like this.

Not surprisingly, the Greeks attacked them.

There is really only one way this battle is going to end. It is just a question of how many Greeks my Berserkers can take with them.

I attack their General, but even though I am warcrying, my Berserkers do not go berserk. It must be because it is the Captain unit.

It is most disappointing. I am sure I would have gotten much more of them if I had been able to go berserk.

Still, this means war! This entire campaign I have never initiated hostilities against any faction (except Rebels). I am going to try to keep it that way until the end. I also see that the Gorgons and Egyptians are now at war. Good, it is about time the two African heavyweights duked it out.

Off the coast of Aetolia, my Roman allies and I cleared the sealanes of some pirate scum.

Coming next, the War of Vengeance!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 03:23:20 AM by SubRosa »

SubRosa

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2009, 11:58:28 PM »
My slovenly spies show that the Romans have taken Mediolanum. All the Gauls have left are Patavium and Segestica.

In the east, an Amazonian army has laid siege to Myrina.

First Equal Klito the Conqueror comes down to with her army to deal with them.

There sure are a lot of them, and all of my cavalry is in the city. Since the Peasants are in the UI before the cavalry, none of my horsewomen will enter the battle as reinforcements.

So it will be the infantry who win the fight today. I send them forward into the Amazonians to come to grips with them.

Grip them I did.

They cannot stand up to Valkyrja women.

The entire center dissolved.

Victory. Many escaped due to my lack of cavalry to run them down.

In the west, the War of Vengeance has begun. For over a millenia the Greeks have been our enemies. A thousand years ago they destroyed the Libyan Amazons, sacking their capital of Triton in an orgy of blood. Five hundred years ago at Heraclea they inflicted a humiliating defeat upon Amazonia that left thousand of Amazons as captives. Yet these Women would escape and make their way north across the sea to become the Valkyrja. Now we have come full circle, to take our revenge for over a thousand years of blood. The world of men shall fall...

The Greeks start on the low ground, I intend to keep them there.

I start with their General, sending out a unit of Drakones to assist Molpadia in running him to ground.

He is cut down.

In the meantime the rest of my army was forming a line across the hill in front of the Greek army.

Then my cavalry swept around behind them.

Trapped, they were annihilated by my Agema Archers.

No survivors.

Here is a pic with the Fog of War turned off. The Britons and Iberians are slugging it out over what was once Gaul, and the Romans are finally moving against what is left of the Gauls in northern Italy. The Gorgons still dominate North Africa, but a full stack of Carthaginians has landed near Carthage to take it back.

That damnable Rebel fleet has made its way into the Black Sea, and continues to haunt my navy.

I have had over a dozen battles with them. Every one ends like this. At least I am slowly whittling them down.

Hmm, it looks like the Egyptians are going to attack me.

In the east, The Army of Armenia has built a fort in the pass north of Kotais while they wait for their newly raised infantry to come up to join them. The Amazonians came north to attack them, and Marpesia sallied against them.

She starts with their cavalry.

Then surrounds them.

The Amazonians are crushed.

Finally, in the west Molpadia turned and advanced upon Athens, the most hated city of the foul Greeks. She found three Greek armies waiting there. The smart thing to do would have been to attack at night and only face one army at a time. But there is something very satisfying about taking on three enemy armies at once. Besides, what is a War of Vengeance without at least one massive effusion of blood? Molpadia attacks them all.

Here comes the first Greek army. You can see their capital in the distance behind them.

I send my cavalry out ahead to shoot up the approaching Greeks. Molpadia found some Rhodian Slingers on their left and charge in after them. This brought her dangerously near to the second Greek army that was quickly coming onto the field.

Molpadia ran down the Rhodians and continued on to smash the Cretans and Rhodians in the second Greek army.

Oh oh, a unit of Greek Heavy Cavalry is closing in.

A fearsome battle ensues with them.

The Greeks do not break, and now the rest of their army is closing in from both sides.

Molpadia routs! The shame of it! She would fleet directly off the field.

On the other flank, my remaining General Lampedo is running through the Greek Peltasts and Heavy Peltasts there.

By now the infantry were slugging it out head to head.

The Greeks are coming around my flank. But Lampedo is behind them.

She charges them from behind just as they wrap around my left.

There goes the first Greek army.

There were still two Greek armies to go however.

Here they come!

There they go.

My archers are now out of ammunition. From now on it will be the fearful work of swords.

The next two Greek armies hit me at once, especially on my left flank where they are coming in almost behind me.

They have Spartans leading the way there too.

On the far right, Lampedo is rushing from one area to another to prevent the Greeks from turning the flank there.

Back on the left, I throw everything I have against the Spartans, surrounding them.

A unit of Greek Heavy Cavalry charges in at my Drakones there from behind. Thankfully I was able to turn two of them to face them just before they hit.

The Heavy Cavalry is driven off, but the Spartans will not break. They are made of iron.

Finally, with Lampedo herself closing in they give way.

So what do these Greeks think they are going to do, scare us with a ham sandwich?

I have now thrown my entire army (what remains of it), against the Greeks on the left.

There are a lot of scattered infantry battles like this one. Their Rhodians are very tough in melee. Eventually they would be mopped up.

It was time to silence those Onagers.

The Greeks were not finished yet however. They still had one last roll of the dice.

I meet them head on and destroy them.

Heroic Victory, and that one really felt heroic. Over 7,000 dead Greeks and 1,500 dead Amazons.

Nearly 1200 kills for my Horse Archers alone. The Agema Archers averaged about 600 each.

This leaves Attica and the Peloponnese bare of defenders.

SubRosa

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2009, 03:56:41 AM »
One last update before bedtime.

The Western Front is anything but quiet. The Germans want Vicus Gothi back. Myrine sallies to contest the issue.

This is what the Valkyrja think of the hairy savages.

This German thinks he has escaped.

Not!

Victory.

The same turn, Maia the Cunning rode from Vicus Marcomannii to deal with another German army.

So this is what it takes to be a Blasphemer.

I send the fool to meet the Gods he did not believe in.

Victory. Now all is quiet on the Western Front.

I have finally run the Rebel Fleet to ground (erm, to water?).

After hounding me for over a decade, the pirates are finally sent to Neptune's Locker.

In Greece, the War of Vengeance continues. I divide my army, sending half of it to lay siege to Corinth, while my Onagers move up to Athens.

Lampedo assaults Athens that turn, within are the survivors of the Battle of Attica. The most hated city of the enemy, it was Athens led the Greek Alliance that destroyed the Gorgons a thousand years ago. Now the Greeks would pay for their crimes.

These are what Spartans at silver experience are like. Yikes!

With their missile troops, a head on assault would be suicide. So I opt for the indirect approach, and march around the city to another wall.

My Onagers had created a breach by the time the rest of the army got there.

These foolish Greek Cavalry tried to contest my entry.

Now it was into the depths of the city, where the Spatans were marching to meet me.

I give them an Amazon greeting.

Then it was hand to hand.

They were crushed!

My spear women caught sight of the Greek General approaching from the other side of their temple.

He turns from my infantrywomen and heads for the square instead. But I have sent Lampedo and my Horse Archers ahead to block him.

The Greek is cast down at the very feet of his dark gods.

These Greek swine thought to stop us in the town square.

No more would these war pigs have the power.

No survivors.

Athens was no longer a city. It was now an altar, and the men of the city were the sacrifices.

SubRosa

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2009, 12:18:43 AM »
Molpadia brings the Onagers up to Cornith, and attacks the city.

I love how cavalry units can throw their javelins over stone walls to hit the enemy on the other side.

The first unit of Armoured Hoplites is quickly routed as my women enter the city.

But there is a second unit of Armoured Hoplites approaching. I send some of my infantry and archers through the second breach in the wall, to their right.

The Greeks turn to engage the newcomers.

This leaves their rear open to my troops who entered through the original breach.

The Greeks are squished.

Then it was on to the square for a bacon dinner.

No survivors.

The walls of Corinth are washed in Greek blood.

I had forgotten about the Wonder. This is my first of the campaign (I really need to edit that text about the hero of Rome...).

The same turn, Molpadia sends a small force on ahead to lay siege to Sparta. They cannot take the city, but will prevent the Greeks from recruiting any more units within, and if I am lucky they might sally.

I was not lucky, so next turn Lampedo brings up more women and assaults the city.

The Greeks waited for me in the square. My Agema Archers draw them out.

Then my cavalry hit them from behind and trapped them in the street.

No survivors.

The screams of the dying are played as a symphony in Greece.

It looks like I am at war with Egypt, and Parthia has broken our alliance to remain on Big Yellow's good side.

Here is why we are at war. Egypt has blockaded Athens.

Well, this means I no longer have to wait for that Egyptian army outside of Myrina to attack me. I attack them instead.

The Egyptians have excellent ground. I really do not want to attack them up that slope.

So I sit back and wait to see if they will come down, and their second army comes on the field. They look like they might come after me.

I send my cavalry out ahead to soften them up, targeting their horsemen first.

They countered with Chariots, which I promptly took on a Scythian Horse Ride and routed. But they had been able to get into my second General beforehand, killing quite a few of her bodyguards.

After that their second army went up the hill to join the first.

Well, there is nothing for it then. I go up after them.

They come at me as I crest the hill.

The Chariots on the Egyptian left vastly overlapped my right. So I sent my Beserkers in to hold the line.

Then I found that the Egyptian Chariots had gotten into my cavalry and second general on the left. Yikes! I quickly pull them away and send my Agema Axewomen over to lend a hand.

Back on the right, the Berserkers have cleared the way for my cavalry to sweep around the Egyptian flank.

Then in the center the Egyptian General was laid low by my Drakones. My spear women are going through the Egyptian infantry like a hot knife through cotton.

My Berserkers were having problems with their phalanx troops however, so I sent some cavalry over to lend a hoof.

Both Egyptian armies were crushed.

Victory.

But at a heavy cost. My second General was killed in there somewhere. I do not even know exactly when. Just that it was sometime after I swept their left flank. That is the problem with fighting Egyptians. You never know when you are going to look over and find a General being swamped by their Chariots.

After the battle, one of my stinkers found that Heraclea was devoid of a garrison, except for a lone Amazonian General. He relieved her of her duties forever. Now if I can get some cavalry over there before they can garrison it...

« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 12:22:09 AM by SubRosa »

SubRosa

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2009, 02:19:08 AM »
I looked around a second time, and found that I had a General in the Crimea who was in striking distance of Heraclea. I immediately put her on a ship and sailed her down.

She takes Heraclea without a drop of blood (well, except for those my assassin made when he put the dagger in the Amazonian Governor's back...)

In the east, the Amazonians did not attack me across the river north of Kotais. However, I found that I could move across diagonally to the tile beside them.

Then I was able to turn and attack in the open.

I quickly sweep around their flank.

Then finish their cavalry.

Soon I have them surrounded.

They run for it.

But there is no escape, and no survivors.

Next turn Marpesia marches down to Kotais and attacks it.

I do not want to make a head on assault against those Agema Archers. So I walk around the city to attack from another wall.

My Onagers opened up the walls ahead of my army, and the Amazonians moved their Chariots over to defend the breach.

They come out to attack the leading elements of my army. Good thing I have spear women.

The Chariots dealt with, I send two of my infantry units into the city.

I did not have enough Onager ammo to reduce the tower and Gatehouse flanking my breach. So each unit will have to take one before the rest of my army can enter.

The Drakones went right up into their tower. However, the Agema Axewomen just milled around the base of the Gatehouse being shot at, and then stood still.

I ordered them up again, and once more they milled around a while again and then stood still while being shot.

So I order them up again. This time they got off their shields and got into the damned gatehouse.

Finally I was able to get my army into the city and head to the square. Marpesia took the bulk of the troops down the main road.

She crushed the Amazonians in the street.

At the same time I sent a smaller force to the square via a small back road.

They break the Amazonian infantry there, but still have to contend with their General.

Marpesia and Klymene the Mad rush to help out with that Amazonian General, while my infantry went after their last Armoured Hoplite unit in the square.

Their General was struck down.

No survivors.

I Occupy.

Look what I can now recruit in Tanais! Too bad the city has the plague...

« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 02:22:04 AM by SubRosa »

SubRosa

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2009, 04:37:15 AM »
Big update for this evening.

As the Egyptians are only milling around Tarsus, first Equal Klito the Conqueror marches west to Ancyra. With any luck the Eggies will stay south of the mountains long enough for her to lay siege to the city and assault it.

At the same time the army from Greece was sailing across the Aegean under a new commander.

All is quiet on the western front. From a military standpoint at least. I am still spreading plague through the German cities, reinfecting them every time they recover.

The Sarmatians settled down somewhere? The heart of Egypt no less?

Yep, there they are. I wonder how they managed that?

While I have the fog of war off for a moment, I also see that Triton has rebelled from the Greeks.

Next turn, Hypsipyle makes landfall in Asia Minor and assaults Halicarnassus.

The Amazonian Militia Hoplites are slaughtered at the walls.

My Drakones found more of them further into the city however.

They fare no better.

Here come the women, the best soldiers they have.

They rout before I can even spring my trap.

Then I descended upon the square.

No survivors.

I Occupy.

Wonder #2.

Grr, the Egyptians are now threatening Myrina.

First Equal Klito marches back and attacks them, but the Egyptians retreat rather than face her wrath.

Next turn, Hypsipyle wastes no time and marches north toward Sardis.

In the east, Klito pursues the Egyptians and finally brings them to battle.

Once again they will no budge from their hilltop, so I must go up after them. I send my Amazon Cavalry in first to engage their Chariots with arrows.

That got their attention.

Once they saw my axe and spearwomen they changed their minds however.

So my Agema Archers treated them to a little barbecue.

Even my hired pirate scum lent a harpoon or two, and the routing begun.

Enough fiddling around. I send my infantry forward in a rush.

Their infantry simply cannot stand up to my own, and their army evaporates.

Victory.

I had no idea the Greeks and Gauls had been allied to begin with.

While Hypsiplye marched north on Sardis, the lead elements of a second, small force I had assembled in Greece landed upon Rhodes. This little force will clean up the scraps in the Aegean that Hypsipyle leaves behind.

Speaking of Hypsipyle, she assaults Sardis, which is defended by an Amazonian bearing her name.

I start with slaughtering their mercenary scum at the walls.

Then it was into the city, where the Amazonian Heavy Cavalry greeted my women with javelins.

They did not stick around to shake hands however...

My Amazon Cavalry pursue them to the square, where I had to pull them back to avoid going into melee with their infantry.

In the main road, I have laid a trap for the Amazonian General.

The women in the front ranks are sent flying by the charge of the Drakones in the rear ranks. There was no escape for the copy-cat Hypsipyle.

Then it was on to the square.

No survivors.

I Occupy.

Wonder #3. I have been fighting on the plains and in Europe so long that I had forgotten that the Aegean was Wonder Alley.

In the east, Klito the Conqueror sets her back to the mountains and dares the Egyptians to attack her.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 04:40:42 AM by SubRosa »

SubRosa

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2009, 09:52:48 PM »
Big update for this afternoon.

The Eggies oblige Klito by attacking her.

So this is what a Pharaoh looks like. He looks like a dead man to me...

As I had intended by putting my back to the mountain, this time I have the high ground.

The second Egyptian army is coming in on my flank however, and because of that they are actually much closer than the original army.

I put some Amazon Cavalry out in front of them to shoot them up a bit as they enter the map.

Those Chariots get on the map fast, and I have to pull back in a hurry.

They are stopped by heavy arrow fire.

But then they turn and attack the two Amazon Cavalry in front of my infantry.

So I pulled the horse archers back and sent the infantry forward in a rush.

My Agema Axewomen relieved the Egyptian Captain of his head.

That cleared away the Chariots from the reinforcing army.

The first army was just starting to come up by then.

Back on the right, First Equal Klito now went after the reinforcing army's infantry.

She went through the Eggies like they were not there.

Then my infantry from the right finished off the scraps.

But now the Chariots from the second army were coming up, and charged forward at the gap that had formed in my line, exposing my Agema Archers.

My Drakones and Agema Axes got back just in time to meet the Chariots.

On the opposite end of the field, the first Egyptian Pharaoh was in hot pursuit of two of my Amazon Cavalry, and had them pinned against the red line.

He catches one and routs it in moments. The other horse archer wriggles free and escapes.

Now the first Egyptian army was on the run, unfortunately right through that second horse archer that was fleeing from their Pharaoh. That routed them too.

But now it was the Pharaoh's turn to run like a dog.

Sadly, the craven Pharaoh escaped, but two of their armies were destroyed.

In the west, Hypsiplyle moved out of Sardis and was now marching upon Pergamum. It was time to resume the War of Vengeance.

While in the east a strong Amazonian force was moving through the mountains toward Myrina. Thankfully I have been building up troops in the area and concentrate in the city to meet them.

On the western front, my slinkers have found the German King, who is an unhinged loon. He is the only General I can see in the four remaining German territories. If I can kill him...

Over the AI's turn, the Greeks attack Hypsiplye east of Pergamum.

I go straight at them.

The lines clash.

The Greeks run.

Their Captain is poked full of holes.

Scratch one Greek army. They still have another one roaming around the hills north of the city however.

For the first time in the game, the Romans are the Most Advanced. Could this mean that the Marius Reforms have finally come?

The War of Vengeance continues in the Aegean, with the assault upon Rhodes.

I have an excellent view of the colossus from the western wall of the city.

The Greeks have left the walls undefended, and I roll a siege tower up to a blind spot between the towers.

Once in the city I advance upon the square from two directions.

Inexplicably, the Greeks leave the square and advance upon my right hand force.

I send my left forward across the square to trap the Greeks.

Their Faction Leader comes back, but is too late.

Anaea casts him down into Hades!

No survivors.

No mercy for Greeks. Only cold steel.

Wonder #4. This should help my finances tremendously.

Hmmm, now where did that Greek army get to?

I bring a spy over to poke around the woods, and he finds them hiding.

Hypsipyle runs him to ground.

No Greek can stand against the fury of the Amazons.

That Amazonian army in the east bypassed Myrina and headed further west for Ancyra. I do not want them reinforcing the already large force the Amazonians have there. So I ride out after them.

Telesilla leads an all-cavalry the army against them. She had not only two more Equals with her, but my first Companions.

The Amazonian General comes out early, and Telesilla charges right after her.

The Amazonian flees for her own lines.

Uh oh! Hoplites ahead! I put on the brakes.

Look at this, the Marian Fairy has come! Now my Generals will have some serious muscle. Not to mention composite bows. In any case, I pull back to avoid those hoplites you can see behind the two bodyguards.

The Amazonian follows, and I turn to face her in the open.

She is finally cut down.

My Companions were also getting in on the fun.

The Amazonians were crushed.

In the west, Second Equal Maia the Conqueror is now on a mission to kill the German King.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 09:58:48 PM by SubRosa »

SubRosa

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2009, 06:47:26 PM »
I am fabulously wealthy. So much so I am drawing near the corruption triggers (which in ATW are set to 100,000 and 150,000 denarii). Time to lower taxes.

Maia the Cunning meets a German force deep in the murky depths of their homeland.

She leaves no survivors.

She continues on to Mogantiacum but is unable to lay siege this turn. However, a Heavy Cavalry unit sent from Aquincum is able to. Her infantry lag behind, protecting the slow-moving Onagers.

In the Aegean, Hypsipyle assaults Pergamum.

Those elite missile troops of theirs will make a direct assault a slaughter. So Hypsipyle deploys her army along one wall and her Onagers along another. Then she marches around the city to join the Onagers.

The entry and march to the square was unopposed. The defenders put up fierce resistance at the edge of the square however.

The Greek Faction Leader (the latest, if you can keep track of them as they go by), is poked full of holes by my Drakones.

No survivors.

Amazons have no mercy for Greeks, only the end of a sword.

In the east, First Equal Klito the Conqueror assaults Tarsus.

Once again, because of their elite archers I avoid a direct assault and march to a side wall.

There were Pharaoh's Bowmen waiting there too however. But my Onagers got them off the wall by destroying it beneath them.

Klito herself deals with them once they are on the ground.

My women swept the defenders aside as they entered the city.

Then it was a steady march to the square, with their Chariot Archers putting down steady fire on my women.

Then wave after wave of Chariots came at my army.

But my Drakones forced their way ahead.

Then it was into the square. I would have stood back to fight in the street, but my Agema Archers were not able to get clear shots at the Egyptians because of the buildings, but the Eggie archers were having no such problems from within the square. I unleash the Berserkers.

One of those wild women cuts down the Egyptian General.

With the square mine, the Berserkers continue to the far end of the city to attack more Egyptians, being shot to pieces by the towers all the way of course. This is the first campaign that I have used Berserkers extensively, and I have to say I am not all that thrilled with them. It seems you can get more mileage out of a regular elite axe or sword unit that you can control.

In any case, the city was mine.

The men of Egypt are taken away in chains.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 06:50:43 PM by SubRosa »

SubRosa

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2009, 04:09:31 AM »
Harmothoe has taken my scratch force from Rhodes and landed on the southern coast of Asia Minor. Her target is Iconium. To the north of her you can see my nearly all-cavalry force from Myrina laying siege to Ancyra, while to the west the lead elements of Hipsipyle's army has left Pergamum and is marching on Nicomedia. You might also notice the new campaign map textures I have imported from M2TW. Expect to see these in version 2.6.

On the Western Front, the German King sallied from Mogontiacum.

He somehow became Cunning. But what I notice is that he is not only an Unhinged Loon, but Deranged as well.

He is deranged alright, he comes out to fight me.

Quite a battle it is.

Eventually his guard routs and he runs for it.

He makes it back into the city, and just seconds later Maia's bodyguards shot the last of his men dead through the closing gate.

That left just the German King. He reformed in the town square and came back for a second time.

I send off my infantry so he does not feel too outnumbered.

Here he comes. This guy is insane.

My heavy cavalry provide some therapy.

No survivors.

The Germans are put into chains.

With that Germania is but a memory. I think they are the 5th faction I have destroyed in this campaign.

Back in the east, the blitz of Asia Minor began with Harmothoe assaulting Iconium.

Here you see a member of Harmothoe's bodyguard performing one of the 'airs above the ground', the Capriole.

No survivors.

I Occupy.

Same turn, Hypsipyle assaults Nicomedia.

Again, no survivors.

As always against my sister Amazons, I Occupy.

Still the same turn, Telesilla assaults Ancyra.

There was slaughter at the city walls.

Then it was woman-to-woman in the streets.

No survivors.

I Occupy.

Asia Minor is now completely mine.

Since the war with Egypt began, I have been using my assassins to destroy their Chariot making ability in their border cities.

First Equal Klito the Conqueror marches out from Tarsus and attacks an Egyptian army north of Antioch. This draws two other armies in on their side, including the garrison of the city and their Pharaoh.

Here are two of their armies.

The third comes on the field directly behind me.

I quickly descend upon them and put them to flight.

Back at the river, I waited for the other two Egyptian armies to come. I reinforced Klito's army with two more Agema Archers to better deal with their Chariots. Now she has six of them. They will prove their worth today.

The Eggies even have Merc War Elephants.

Now they have amok War Elephants.

The leading elements of the Egyptian army rout before they even make it off the bridge.

It is not a battle, but an abattoir.

Time to go after them.

Victory, but once more the Pharaoh escaped. 5 territories to go until victory.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 04:13:37 AM by SubRosa »