Author Topic: BearKnight's Deeper & Darker RPG  (Read 22688 times)

DeepCandle Games

• RPG author and big nerd
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
BearKnight's Deeper & Darker RPG
« on: May 29, 2016, 02:16:15 PM »

Introduction:

Deeper n' Darker is an FRPG(Forum Role-Playing Game) with an adventure that takes place in the ancient landscapes and mighty kingdoms and empires that reside in the world of Thaelanc. Introduce your own heroes and stories into an adventure that you control through your choices. Beware, however, for Thaelanc is beautiful and glorious, but beneath it's surface lies a sinister and fiendish side to everything you thought you knew.

Delve deeper into Thaelanc to discover wealth, knowledge and power!
Venture into the darkness of this same world to destroy the foul forces that try to destroy such
treasures... or join them.

Rules:

Character descriptions:
To make things simple, each player has 3 sentences to introduce their character, 8 key words to describe the most important things about them, and 2 sentences to describe a basic outline of their character. Images to display characters would preferably be avatars and icons or be added as a "spoiler" so we don't end up with clutter. Each player makes one character only and must edit that post if they need to update anything about them. This includes items, inventory, clothing, armour, and just about anything you need to keep track of including relationships with NPCs or other player characters.

Characters will have to have these fields of value and will be given 12 points to distribute to their discretion.

I recommend not overdoing it in one field. example; strength: 8 etc etc, since you will certainly need the other perks at-least in a basic level

Bonus points from items can be added up in brackets next to the original character information. Example: (strength: 3 [+2])

Name:
Age/life expectancy:
Star constellation:
Strength:
Constitution:
Intelligence:
Cunning:
Reflexes:
Awareness:
Species:

Pets:

I will also allow players to create themselves pets. (Assuming they are small enough that we don't need to micromanage them)
Pet information that should be added to your creation post should be:

Name:
Age/life expectancy:
Favourite food:
Dominant sense (may come in useful later on):

Feel free to ask any other questions!

happy gaming! i'm hoping you can enjoy it.

I have decided to track player's character creation posts by linking them into this next section of the first post.
 Any updates you can do can be applied through editing your original posts by following the links you find here.
If your character is not here let me know immediately and i will update it as soon as i can.

Player Characters:

BearKnight's Dwarf, Moglav: http://exilian.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4568.msg106278#msg106278

Jubal's Dwarf, Andvari:
http://exilian.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4568.msg106281#msg106281

Othko's Human, Borgon:
http://exilian.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4568.msg106329#msg106329

Son Of The King's Human, Riofaal: http://exilian.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4568.msg106754#msg106754

Map Description Post:
http://exilian.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4568.msg106543#msg106543

There is now a party inventory. Each party will have their own, However it is recommended to stay unified as you may need all of the trinkets you find.

Party inventory:

The Skeleton Key
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 12:04:21 PM by BearKnight »
I write many projects focused around RPGs and rules expansions!

If you'd like to support me you can buy (or download for free) my finished work from https://ko-fi.com/nanoteq_rpg or play-test them with me on my discord!

DeepCandle Games

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
Re: BearKnight's Deeper n' Darker RPG
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 02:45:25 PM »
Introduction

its a cold, misty night, with fog covering everything farther than a few paces ahead of most people. the moon is hidden behind the clouds, shining faintly through them, yet one quaint little inn, The Hunky Hogg, seems to be quite the opposite.

the doors burst open and new faces clamour in every few hours out of the cold, usually greeted by shouts that they're letting in the chilling air of the night, and returning with moody glares and "I know!"s, although after a few tankards of ale, things go back to normal.

due to the cold coming in from being the beginning of winter, the usually quiet tavern is bustling with folk from all over the local valley, mostly farmers and peasantry sharing a hot cooked boar, or a refreshing ale as they chat merrily to their friends.

here, among the cushioned seats, and softened smiles, is where your journey begins!

note: when you are ready to begin, ask the bartender about Tusk Mountain, until then, players can mingle or attempt interacting with various people and items in the tavern, getting used to their surroundings.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 12:40:20 AM by BearKnight »

If you'd like to support me you can buy (or download for free) my finished work from https://ko-fi.com/nanoteq_rpg or play-test them with me on my discord!

DeepCandle Games

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 02:45:52 PM »
character creation for: BearKnight

character:
name: Moglav
star constellation: Magris (looks roughly like a tankard of ale)
strength:3
constitution:2
intelligence:2
cunning:1
reflexes:3
awareness:1
species: dwarf

pet:
name: gizmak
favourite food: tree roots and dried fruits
dominant sense: smell

Moglav is a youthful man (atleast, for a dwarf) , who had been travelling the land for ingredients and stories, looking to brew a fine ale with the former as he experienced the latter. it wasn't long before he stumbled into the Hunky Hogg Inn, looking for the most potent ale he could find, whilst plonking himself down in the most comfortable seat he spotted.
as for stories, this time, he would soon have his own to tell..

key words: stout, friendly, cheerful, optimistic, stubborn, short, curious, loyal

outline: Moglav is friendly and outgoing, more so than even humans, and enjoys telling a good story while he tucks into a large portion of whatever meaty animal is on the menu (hog meat is his favourite). he is short, broad, and has a large, chiselled face, mostly covered by his oaky beard, his coif, and a few slight wrinkles.

inventory:
Mining pick of Finding: Lights up with an orange glow when the user is near minerals

Ring of Blasting: can be used to create a small blast from the top of the ring.

Pouch of Hydration: replenishes itself with water. can be used up to twice a day,

« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 03:09:45 AM by BearKnight »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 03:04:45 PM »
I'll play, sure :)

Time to break out the Calasson clan again...

Intro: Andvari Calasson is a relatively young dwarf, a journeyman runecrafter. His clan, the Calassons, are widely regarded as "a bit odd" and somehow not quite respectable - whilst undeniably good engineers, well-trained runesmiths and skilled warriors come from the Calasson clan, they are somewhat eccentric, not very wealthy, and too inclined to friendship with outsiders for the liking of some of the bigger and wealthier dwarf clans. Andvari himself has left his home and hold mainly driven by curiosity, having a great wish to learn and chronicle more of the world and its depths.

8 key words: Runesmith, Historian, Quiet, Absent-minded, Knowledgeable, Intellectual, Kind, Diminutive.

Outline: Andvari is a careful, thought-out character who sometimes takes a while to engage with what's going on around him and prefers to solve problems through his expansive intellect rather than anything coming to blows. He is lightly built for a dwarf, with a long, thin, black beard, deep brown eyes, and wears slightly faded robes in a teal-blue colour.

STATS
Name:  Calasson
Age/Life expectancy: 120/800
Star Constellation (you can make one up and tell other players what it looks like): The Wayfarer (somewhat similar to our Orion).
Strength: 1
Constitution: 2
Intelligence: 4
Cunning: 3
Reflexes: 1
Awareness: 1
Species: Dwarf

EQUIPMENT
Staff with Rune of the Moon-Shadows: Anyone in 10ft radius of the staff with hostile intent takes a -1 to awareness, making it easier for Andvari to wander around unnoticed. Is also a big wooden stick that can be used to hit things.
Runestone of light: Can be activated/deactivated at any time, glows creating a small amount of light, equivalent to a torch.
Runecarving of rest: One-use only block of wood with a rune of confusion, when activated it will disintegrate and any nearby enemies/hostiles (within the same room) will become drowsy or fall asleep.
Travelling cloak, robes, paper, pens, ink, wood and stone chisels, small runesmith's hammer, supply of home-made cheesebread.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 08:56:51 PM by Jubal »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

DeepCandle Games

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 11:12:04 PM »
the tavern bustles with activity, with people coming and going, just as busy as it was when you arrived.

//just supporting the atmosphere

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 11:24:16 PM »
I quietly sidle through the crowds of taller humans, purchase a good cup of mead, and then find a stool near the fire to warm up.

OOC: How many players do you envisage needing for this? I'll post a link to the thread on our Facebook group to see if we can tempt any other old hands in :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

DeepCandle Games

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 11:31:42 PM »
i doze off in the corner near the hearth and snooze contentedly

//the more the merrier, but i'm not going to be keeping track of everything, like i hinted at. i imagine that people dont mind the re-edit/action system anyway.

so when everyone needs to start we can, and others can just be encountered later on, should work out

Othko97

• SotK Beta
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 09:52:47 AM »
I am so in.

Age/Life expectancy: 20/70
Star Constellation (you can make one up and tell other players what it looks like): Carcharadon (somewhat like a bird in flight)
Strength: 2
Constitution: 2
Intelligence: 1
Cunning: 2
Reflexes: 3
Awareness: 2
Species: Human

Borgon is a young man who only recently left his home in search of adventure. His trade is ostensibly a hunter, used to long trips in the wild hunting game to sell in his small town. He arrived at the Hunky Hogg after a long journey away from his boring old life in search of a more interesting one.

Key Words: hunter, sharp, rash, cheerful, adventurous, easygoing, friendly, inquisitive

Outline: Borgon is a young man hoping to find an adventure, or at least some form of trouble, leading to a tendency to act rashly. He is reasonably short for a human, with the beginnings of a beard roughening his youthful face.

Inventory:
Bow of the Hunt: +<insert reasonable amount of damage here> to animals
Torch of Undying Flammability: A torch with an everlasting flame {if this is too OP then let me know, it can have some kind of rest period or something}
Quiver of Replenishment: Magically regenerates <sensible quantity of arrows> every <sensible time frame>
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 11:06:17 PM by Othko97 »
I am Othko, He who fell from the highest of places, Lord of That Bit Between High Places and Low Places Through Which One Falls In Transit Between them!

DeepCandle Games

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 10:24:41 AM »
a young human enters the inn, bumping his way to the counter to make an order before slipping back into the bustling crowd. he looks somewhat like a hunter

//note: i have changed the point distribution system to be easier to keep track of and more flexible to the players. enjoy!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 10:49:06 AM by BearKnight »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 11:22:35 AM »
OOC: Fixed my point distribution. Also, what species is Gizmak?

Andvari pulls a thick sheaf of paper out of his pack, and starts making some brief notes on the inn, in a surprisingly flowing handwritten script (unlike the sharpness of runes, designed to be chiselled into rock, the letters of the Kartvel script are quite graceful in form). He carefully unwraps a small loaf of cheesebread from his pack and starts eating it as he works, noting down details of the building's apparent age and masonry.

DeepCandle Games

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 01:11:35 AM »
the inn bustles on, but there appears to be trouble! a man is refusing to pay, and tempers are high between him and the barman. someone might be getting hurt if no one intervenes!

but that doesn't mean that anyone will..

// thats his name. well- i guess the question is still valid in a
way.

he is a miniature sheep; he is smaller than my fist. i keep him in a pouch on my belt and use my shaving knife to shear him when he needs it.

Othko97

• SotK Beta
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 09:57:50 AM »
Borgon sits quietly in the corner enjoying a tankard of ale, shaking off the chill of the outdoors.

OOC: Also fixed my distribution.
I am Othko, He who fell from the highest of places, Lord of That Bit Between High Places and Low Places Through Which One Falls In Transit Between them!

DeepCandle Games

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 11:14:37 AM »
the dispute dies down and the stranger leaves in an angry huff, his purse a little lighter. the barman breathes a sigh of relief and returns to cleaning the ale-soaked tankards

//players so far:
jubal as  Andvari the Dwarf
othko as Borgon the Hunter
BearKnight as Moglav the Dwarf

potential players:
The Khan

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 11:52:48 AM »
Should we list our equipment in our character-sheet posts?

Andvari inspects the craftwork his various pieces of gear; runes can create powerful magical items, but they take time to inscribe, and avoiding chips or damage thereafter helps keep them at full strength. Satisfied, he returns to his mead, his eyes ranging around the bar for things of interest.

DeepCandle Games

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 11:56:32 AM »
// now that i think about it, i'm not sure. maybe adding it to our signature's would be the easiest way?