Author Topic: Suicide Squad  (Read 3660 times)

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Suicide Squad
« on: August 29, 2016, 02:32:18 AM »
The movie was pretty awesome.

Leto was great, Robbie was great, Jai was great. Diablo was surprisingly fantastic.

Needed more slo-mo fights. Would have preferred a more Snyder touch to it.

Did not like the end fight so much, needed more spectacle, more things for the characters to do and probably could have done with a dramatic character death we didn't know was coming.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

DeepCandle Games

• RPG author and big nerd
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
Re: Suicide Squad
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 04:10:21 AM »
I found a lot of characters were there for novelty though. Probably could have had more focus on them rather than just throwing everyone directly into the scenario, but i liked most of it!
I write many projects focused around RPGs and rules expansions!

If you'd like to support me you can buy (or download for free) my finished work from https://ko-fi.com/nanoteq_rpg or play-test them with me on my discord!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 11:35:05 AM »
The concept didn't look very up my street, I'll be honest :P
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 05:40:45 PM »
Dude, you wanted more origin stories???? :P

For me  it struck a decent balance of giving enough history for the present to make sense while still focusing on what was happening at the time. And I liked that 90% of the characters personality was just told through their actions. Having said that, KC might have been better had he killed and ate a few more dudes. I think he was the weakest character for me but out of an ensemble like that, still not a bad thing.

What I really enjoyed about the movie was that it was self-contained. If you're not a DC fan then you won't be as excited for the characters but even if you go in with no knowledge, everything relevant comes out naturally during the film.

Also something else I wanted to say... There's a ton of people on the internet saying that movies like BvS or whatever aren't self contained because they lead up to a sequel.... That's not what the phrase means. There is a resolution of the initial premise therefore it's self contained.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 05:52:12 PM »
I feel like there's something everyone else gets and I miss about most of the superhero/villain genre. A few examples of it intrinsically appeal to me but most of it just looks meh from the outset.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 01:33:54 PM »
Maybe you don't find superhumans that appealing? I know a guy that can't understand why I don't want to watch movies about regular people instead.

It's cliche'd as hell but the movies are about hope, strength, determination. All that BS done by someone way more powerful that ourselves (usually). Like 99% of hero stuff is a metaphor which boils down to: even the strongest, toughest, smartest, quickest people have their own tests and their own demons. Nobodys perfect.

Obviously individually there are loads of other things that the various sub-genres of superheros are about and going further than that, each individual superhero is about.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 05:17:11 PM »
I would say it's partly that, but then again I also really like stories about wizards or medieval heroes etc who are similar in some ways. So I think it's partly not being a huge fan of superhumans, but also partly an aesthetic thing; because they're generally set in the modern world they don't click my "ooh let's explore somewhere new" button which for me tends to be a massive part of why I enjoy other sci-fi or fantasy stuff. (Which would also explain why for example Judge Dredd appeals to me more - there's actually a setting there that I feel I can get my teeth into more).

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 12:39:13 AM »
That's fair dude. I can get that.

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 05:44:44 PM »
I don't like superheroes. Do the fine upstanding ladies and gents of suicide squad have super powers or are they just in the genre of superhero stuff?

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 07:51:14 PM »
Yeah most of them do. Diablo, Enchantress, KC, Deadshot... Maybe even Boomerang. Don't think Harley does but she's in the minority.

comrade_general

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 07:52:38 PM »
She used to be a he.