Author Topic: Digger  (Read 5079 times)

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Digger
« on: September 29, 2016, 12:49:03 AM »
In a lucky 10,000 moment a few days ago, Jubal and some other friends pointed me at a webcomic called Digger. It features a lost but very pragmatic and hopeful wombat named Digger, a statue of the Hindu god Ganesh, various hyenas, a strange and very curious shadow creature, vampire pumpkins, an exuberant mish-mash of mythologies, and lots of other fun stuff. I highly recommend it. Even the comments are good!

I'm also still reading it (just about to start chapter 8 of I don't know how many), so I'd appreciate not having spoilers.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Digger
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 05:07:57 PM »
Digger is excellent and everyone should read it - it's 12 chapters, so it's not a behemoth of a work like some webcomics. I'm glad you're enjoying it :)

I love Digger for the eclectic mythology, of course, but I think one of the most impressive things is how good the storytelling is, especially considering how eclectic the characters are. Some of the later stages really pack emotional punches.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 01:57:37 AM »
I have now finished the remaining four chapters, all in one sitting. Wow. Very definitely lots of emotion. Also lots of apparently simply black-and-white artwork, but also very subtle artwork - lots of nuances conveyed by characters' expressions. I entirely understand why it won a Hugo award.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 11:29:56 PM »
Indeed! I find Shadow's last scenes particularly powerful - the others are heart-wrenching too, but that bit is one of the things that always really sits with me when I think of Digger (along with the Very Happy Trolls and the vampire squash!).
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 10:23:26 PM »
A couple more things that have stuck with me:

- most striking description: "prayers of steel and poison"

- most poignant phrase: "Not everyone gets to go home."

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 10:34:24 PM »
Yes - the description hasn't sat with me, but I agree on that phrase, it feels grimly relevant sometimes lately.