Author Topic: Badrijani (Aubergine & Walnut Paste Dish)  (Read 3856 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Badrijani (Aubergine & Walnut Paste Dish)
« on: October 19, 2020, 10:26:55 PM »
Making Some Badrijani

So, I made badrijani (ბადრიჯანი) today - a traditional Georgian dish, often used as a starter though I just had it as a meal.

Recipe here: https://georgianrecipes.net/2013/03/29/eggplant-with-walnuts-and-spices/

Unfortunately I didn't think to start taking photos until partway through the process - but here's the paste I made. I didn't have some of the suggested spices so this is walnuts, white wine vinegar, garlic, salt, paprika and powdered rosemary. It was nice - had what for me was a reasonable paprika kick, though that probably would make it extremely mild for most people's taste. The big struggle was getting it paste-y enough: the walnut was chopped fairly fine, I have a little rotating-handle chopper which is good, but it never fully got to paste consistency and I suspect one really needs a good pestle and mortar or maybe a really fine food blender.

Then it was time to cut some aubergine, I got one from the farmers' market down the road a few days ago (white rather than the purple I'm used to associating with them, but as far as I know the colour doesn't make much difference) :

And then I fried the aubergine and added the paste:

Then added some tomato bits as a garnish/addition. This was random based on what I had available but actually worked very well - the tomato and paprika flavours go fairly well and the coolness of the tomato countered out the spice kick quite nicely.

Then I put it in the fridge for a bit until the aubergine had cooled down, then I ate it. It was quite nice, I should make this more often. I might try cutting the aubergine thinner, trying to get the paste more consistent, and maybe roasting rather than frying the aubergine next time as apparently that works just as well.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Othko97

• SotK Beta
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
    • Awards
Re: Badrijani (Aubergine & Walnut Paste Dish)
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 08:05:58 PM »
This looks really good! While I have to cater for a nut allergy these days (otherwise I'd be trying it ASAP), I'll be sure to look at the rest of that site. I've never had any Georgian cuisine before and it certainly seems delicious.
I am Othko, He who fell from the highest of places, Lord of That Bit Between High Places and Low Places Through Which One Falls In Transit Between them!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Badrijani (Aubergine & Walnut Paste Dish)
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 10:35:14 PM »
Yeah, there's some lovely stuff there :) There's definitely more of it I should try (or stuff I should try again and try to get right this time!)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...