Author Topic: City levels independend from population  (Read 2267 times)

DCLXVIMRTRVEBLAKKOKKVLTDCLXVI

• View Profile
    • Awards
City levels independend from population
« on: October 08, 2016, 06:49:15 PM »
Hi everyone,

since we used population in rtr to represent available manpower, would it be an idea to have city levels independent from population growth like in Fourth Age Total War: Dominion of Men? We could actually base our building tree structure on it because it's the best one I've ever seen in a rtw mod. We could also have nine settlement levels and we could make it possible to raze an enemy city after conquering it.

I'm open to listen to other people's opinion :)

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: City levels independend from population
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 10:13:50 PM »
Can we see how it works?
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 10:46:19 PM »
I like the idea of being able to raze cities somehow - though I assume this still wouldn't allow slighting walls, which always seemed to me to be the oddest lack in RTW...
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Gigantus

• Sure the voices aren't real, but them has ideas!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 02:31:27 AM »
- TATW restricted the highest settlement level to one preplaced per faction (non upgradeable) to be able to use custom models for it.
- There is no problem at game start to assign an arbitrary population number to a settlement, worst that happens is an non fatal error messages (at least in M2TW if the number is higher then the official level - let's try to avoid that)
- settlement levels are based on the core_building, never seen more then the default (6). Seeing that the level names (large_town etc) are in the executable I am tending to assume that it is 'hard coded' - there is even an 'invalid_level' warning in there.
- razing: I guess you are referring to the standard occupation option, not the horde's grab&run option? That could be scripted to randomly destroy wall sections (if the commands work in RTW) but the scripting would be extensive. One monitor per settlement and roughly 20 lines per monitor.

Note: I am not familiar with the RTW scripting limits as I have never worked with RTW scripts, on top of that in M2TW the campaign_script is automatically called and therefore hasn't got the all the trigger issues that come with a show_me script. Any scripting suggestions\comments is based on my M2TW experience and will require testing.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 08:04:14 AM »
I just want to see how FATW did all of this. Emodude when you can, give an example, I am anxious :)
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

xeofox

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 08:55:10 PM »
Maybe one more faction "Ruin of...". Faction without money, army, agents ets. And when make "to raze an enemy city" it`s worked like diplomat function "Give region" (to  faction "Ruin of..."). If it posible by script.  ;D