Author Topic: RTR on M2TWK  (Read 4507 times)

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
RTR on M2TWK
« on: October 10, 2016, 07:24:11 AM »
Yes, the title is real. For a few months now, the thought has been in and out of my head and today I decided we should AT LEAST TRY IT.

Currently installing it all as I type, Gigantus has helped me understand what we could potentially do with this. So below are a list of thoughts and ideas, and facts.

1. This will be an attempt to port as many RTW features over to the M2TWK engine as possible. Hopefully the game will feel like RTW, instead of M2TW. This means: UI, units, animations, music, sounds, etc need to be RTW and not M2TW.

2. Some features: 31 factions, 7 cultures, 10 religions, unlimited DMB, 500 edu, 200 regions, loyalty, hording, shadow_factions, better ai, better scripting, merchants and other agents, permanent stone forts, video messages etc

3. No we will not focus on multiple textures and models for one unit. It will be like RTW for right now, one model, one texture.

4. Remember we are just testing this. Gigantus is the best of the best when it comes to M2TW modding and he even ported RoTK mod from RTW to M2TW, so he knows what to do, we just need to follow his instructions.

5. Please leave comments below. We can discuss faction list, etc once we get something ported.
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

morfeasnikos

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: RTR on M2TWK
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 08:21:15 AM »
My opinion is, i have told to ahow11 at the steam also, that its a lot of work but it worth it.
Also the good is that there is a lot of mods that they already made an big part of it ( Buildings, animations, models etc)
to keep the Rome 1 feeling in the models the textures can be easy attach to the new models ....
traits and historic information's unit names cities etc also can be transfer ....
all it need its time and ppl willing to do it!

Edit :Just to make it clear i am here as a supporter of the mod ! i am retired since last March
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 09:16:51 AM by morfeasnikos »

xeofox

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 09:37:38 AM »
What can I say.

1. On the engine M2TWK easier make units (bones, skin) but they are beautiful (several models in one)
2. Architecture - I do not know what to say. We have our own for RTW models (but we still can`t paste in mod). If take a lot of models from other mods- in  russian language we are called it - "Solyanka" .

It is necessary to finish on this- Alex engine. We  have a new menu now (I reveal a secret: parallel I make a new universal interface). We can also try to make a mod for IPOD.

Then we finish it and after- let`s start on M2TWK engine! :)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 09:44:42 AM by xeofox »

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 02:16:10 PM »
I told you to do that three years ago... but now I do agree with xeofox.
''I found a city of bricks and left a city of marble''

Augustus

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 04:38:16 PM »
Okay how does this sound?
We finish the grand campaign on Alexander, port that to M2TWK and then we work on the factional, regional, and historical campaigns.

In the meantime, Gigantus and I can get it ready so that the porting process is easier.
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

DCLXVIMRTRVEBLAKKOKKVLTDCLXVI

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 04:47:51 PM »
Well I also agree with xeofox, but by the time we've finished our grand campaign EBII will probably be completed too. Couldn't we use EBII as a base instead of vanilla M2TW? I mean to work on the RTRProject as a submod of EBII, it will save us a lot of work. We'll have a good AI, eye candy environments, good diplomacy, settlements, stability, e.t.c. We would only need to port our units, map, campaign, UI and some minor features.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 04:53:56 PM »
Uh thing is, I don't want to be a submod of EB2.

xeofox

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 05:03:29 PM »
Uh thing is, I don't want to be a submod of EB2.
I agree! The RTR on M2TWK the best! But ...not now. :)

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 07:31:11 PM »
a submod of EB2.

That would be high treason. Shoot EmoDude!   :khan:
''I found a city of bricks and left a city of marble''

Augustus

xeofox

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 08:24:59 PM »
a submod of EB2.

We do not shoot our comrades!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 08:42:58 PM by xeofox »

DCLXVIMRTRVEBLAKKOKKVLTDCLXVI

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 09:10:31 PM »
I'll shut up lol

Gigantus

• Sure the voices aren't real, but them has ideas!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 06:09:36 AM »
From a work flow point of view I would suggest to finish the RTW project. The only feasible work at this moment would be the porting of battle models (finalized units and buildings) which can be tested in a standard mod with ease.

Ahowl and me are still testing but it appears that we have been able to integrate the M2 set up into GIT. I have to tinker a bit with the mod's CFG file and provide one or two more alternate symlink BAT files for the M2 set up but otherwise we are good to go.

Note: the symlink file for M2 can be easily adapted to the standard M2TW installations (steam and disk) as well as custom installations. Neither my disk nor my steam installation use default paths so it would be great if someone could provide the exact paths. Simply right click a short cut that leads to a M2 mod, click 'properties' and then choose 'open file location'. Copy the path displayed at the top of your explorer window here.

All other aspects of the mod can be transferred with little (well, that's relative) or no extra editing for which only the final files are suitable (to avoid duplication of work).

PS: AntiTraits don't work properly in M2TW, they will require some 'merging' - likely the bulk of coding work.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 06:20:39 AM by Gigantus »

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 07:22:31 PM »
a submod of EB2.

We do not shoot our comrades!