Author Topic: Robs Ill Fated Super-ish Heroes  (Read 7306 times)

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Robs Ill Fated Super-ish Heroes
« on: April 05, 2017, 03:58:57 AM »
I need a comic book artist.

It's a dark-ish piece but there's comic relief found in at least some of the characters but the gist is that they're not invincible and as they forget that, things fall apart. As three of the group are killed by (idk, something terrestrial) the rest try and find a way to be heroes again but this time be smarter about it. It just about works in the end but without their three best fighters; casualties are inevitable.I don't know how to write it honestly, I've got ideas for the themes and the over-arching narrative but the strength of this should be how they work as individuals and their personalities that drive it. I have super limited experience writing that, I'm not good at it but I think I'll at least get an accent and feel for the characters if I can visualise them.These are the scenes with the most gravitas and the ones I really need to get right.

I'm looking to try and get a 80's style comic with regards to narrative style, Alan Moore themes (I wish).

The 80's style to me is first half teenage drama then aliens.

Small synopsis of where I'm thinking of going with the story:

The group is overconfident after huge success initially at cleaning up petty criminals and then bites off more than they can chew by going against a hardened gangster whose gang wastes the three most 'fighty' of the group. After that the group slightly fractures with the clown moving away, getting a 'portugal everything, cause anarchy' attitude, trying to laugh his/her grief/problems away. Bald girl is left as the leader of the now reduced group. There's a lot of friction, rest of the group are scared because of what happened to the obviously powerful members of the group. Aliens/outerspace people have been making moves in the background, hinted at in frames throughout the first half but in the second half they make themselves known, they have a base on mars which they launch missiles from. Somehow (idk yet) the group gets onto mars, takes out the base. I'm not doing the cliche of the invisible guy being a double agent, he just gets caught doing recon.

It's not a fully thought out project by any means but I have a super clear vision of some scenes and I thought I may as well write them down for once.

3 frames - speedy guy just about to run across a wall - speedy guy jumping off wall attacking guy - speedy guy with knives in said guy, both of them getting shot, bullets going straight through the mook and into the speedster.

3 frames - Conan with a short mohawk running straight towards frame - sideframe of shots going through him from the front and possibly sides as well, depends on how it looks- conan collapsing onto a mook at the end of his run.

3 frames - Asian-American with SIG Sauer P226 getting out of an elevator as shots ricochet through - 2 headshots against mooks while dive behind a desk - still kneeling behind the desk, shooting over the top, shot four times though the right shoulder and arm, lower left mouth and lower left neck.

4 frames - bald girl with right arm cast walking weakly, smouldering wreckage behind her - close frame, on her knees, fire exuding from her shoulders/back/chest - top down frame, girl is completely on fire, anything that can burn is on fire, wave of fire exuding from her - close frame, lying on the ground, arms splayed, head resting back among the rubble, eyes open, dry cracks around her eyes and lips.

2 frames - Silhouette of a chameleon super on his knees, not invisible but blends into the backdrop, tears down an invisible face and the slide of a futuristic gun centre shot - laser shot through the skull, chameleon falling slightly backwards.

6 frames - Class clown type broad smile - no force, visible wave crashing over a town plaza from super - top down, wide frame some near clown type panic, some fight nearest person - clown type arms wide, eyes closed, metaphorically drinking in anarchy - surprised clown type - knife wound in clown.

It's a story I'm working on but I'd really like to see the characters. Anyone that has an idea for what any of these look like, I'd love a know. Even if it's a written description, male/female/non-binary/other, clothes they wear, if they have a certain look or piece of clothing. Anyone that reads this and just sees one of these as a character, that'd be great :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 03:36:46 AM by Clockwork »
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robs Ill Fated Super-ish Heroes
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 04:14:57 AM »
The bald girl is the only one I'm really attached to so far, she's not a stereotype bald head butch lesbian either. She's an easygoing girl with potent but harmful (mostly to herself) superpowers (as opposed to the rest of the group who are mostly 'extra-human' ) A character with a strong sense of self and identity but has trouble finding a role within the team. Scared to do more harm than good but always aware of that fact.

EDIT: I also want an alcoholic because I want to explore that theme, he/she/other turns to drink after the incident. Though I'm thinking of using either the clown or one as of yet unmentioned who works with technology and is basically the groups Oracle.

Also, not everyone dies. It's not like that but what I want to do is highlight that the purely physical extra-normals have this overconfidence and hubris while the ones more like burning girl have self-awareness and thoughtfulness which is needed to be a successful hero, knowing their limitations and how they all have a use. The chameleon for instance thinks they're useless because all they can do is hide and I'm hoping to get inspiration for another case like that. I'm also not interested in a Wizard of Oz, the cowardly chameleon won't just be brave, the prideful as I mentioned realise too late they're not invincible and the self absorbed clown is too busy looking at the chaos they've created to notice when it bites them in the arse.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 03:56:21 AM by Clockwork »
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 12:58:11 AM »
I think this should either be in "skills wanted" or "arts/media" but don't know which - where would you prefer for me to move it to, Rob?

This all sounds good... I can only offer really armadilloty pixel art for anything though (I have comic artist friends, but I'm guessing professionals may be out of your price range). I guess I could try some text-descriptions or vignettes at some point if that would help?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 03:14:23 AM »
Skills wanted sounds like best fit. Yeah pros are out of my price range, I can't pay anything. Just if anyone likes what they read and fancies a go at drawing/ describing these, text descriptions are very welcome. I need to rearrange things here as well. Thanks :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 03:39:09 AM by Clockwork »

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 09:09:58 AM »
Duly moved.

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 11:34:58 AM »
Thank you G :)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 11:48:10 PM »
OK, at some point in a few days I'll try and have a go at some written descriptions; my brain is full of byzantine lead at the moment which is not a great place for creativity, but I'll be back functioning soon! :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 02:56:14 AM »
"Am I drinking to forget or to have fun?" Clare said in her best hollywood-serious voice, "Look directly at camera" she froze for a few seconds then snorted laughter "As if anyone wants to film your life, get the portugal over yourself." Still, maybe one day people like me will be sought after for S-FX and the like and I will see an actual movie set. Embarrassed by her fantasy a small flame crept up her back and behind her ears.

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 04:17:30 AM »
"Extra-normals? Bet it was the portugaling Americans who came up with that." Reece read over the shoulder of his friend. "Always adding the extra syllables to words, enlengthenmacating them for some reason"
"They had to call us something" Finn replied without taking his eyes from the newspaper
"Yeah but they could have gone for something classier, like Neechee said, 'Ich bein eine Ubermensch'"
"That isn't a Nietzsche quote mate and you're not replacing God anytime soon"
Reece smiled at his friends underlying annoyance, "Any fool can quote Nietzsche, but to misquote him, that takes real skill"

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 02:45:16 AM »
"Jesus Reece, you seen this?" Clare cocks her head towards tv "Bible belt motherportugalers are pro euthanasia as an extra-normal solution"
"Quelle surprise, on the topic, you seen our youth-out-of-asia?"
"Finn? Not today, why? You supposed to meet him or something?"
"Not exactly, I hope I'm wrong but I'm beginning to suspect he's getting a life"

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 11:58:47 PM »
I keep meaning to have another look at this, sorry - I'll try and get round to it soon :(

(Also motherportugalers is still the best word)

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 02:11:45 AM »
Yo no rush, I've changed a hell of a lot of things. The main cast are english now, the guys that get effed real quick are 'muricans. UK has a 'I mean, they're just people' attitude and america is 50-50, they're the worst to they're ok or they're the best/gods. Rest of the world is not focused on but will appear in tiny fragments of background worldbuilding like news shows, lines in papers. At the moment I've started each episode with the first page being an unfolded broadsheet newspaper. Could change though, sometimes doesn't feel natural.

Main characters are Finn (based on a mate) Reece (based a little bit on me, little bit on Joseph gilgun, little bit random acts of violence) and Clare (little bit mate, little bit person I idolise). All will probably change personality but I like the look I have for them in my mind so that probably won't change.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 02:35:13 AM by Clockwork »