Author Topic: Giants - A Decision  (Read 2574 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Giants - A Decision
« on: September 10, 2017, 09:28:27 PM »
So, I've presented giants in Narnia TW in the same way as I did in Warhammer TW for the most part - that is, they're "elephants" as far as the game is concerned. There are significant advantages to this in terms of game mechanics, but one big disadvantage, namely recurring crash problems in battles that I can't seem to get rid of. I think this must be because elephants have at least one animation that normal human skeletons/anims don't. It's currently *possible* to get through battles with lots of giants, it's just not very reliable.

The mechanical advantages:
> Elephant-type units can't be knocked down - if I present giants as infantry they'll repeatedly get knocked off their feet when they lose HP
> They can batter down gates, which is an ability I can't give infantry
> They have a trample radius and effects, knocking infantry units out of the way
> Running amok works properly, which it doesn't really for infantry

I could sacrifice these advantages in favour of stabilising the game and making giants an infantry unit. Giants would still be big and scary, they just wouldn't have quite the fun advantages they currently do especially as rapid siege units. Thoughts greatly appreciated on what to do here.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

warcrafthero

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Giants - A Decision
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 08:35:39 PM »
Hi Jubal, i'm happy to see that you are still working on this mod :) About the Giants Decision, i think it's better to have them as an "elephant" unit; this makes them unique; another option is to set their weakest units as infantry units. That's my opinion, good modding!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 11:41:23 PM »
Hi, good to see you here :) And yes, I think I might make the rebel giants an infantry unit (so less crashes when just invading rebel settlements) but make the player-controlled giants elephants. I might provide a patch option for "stable giants" if I get time though? The crashes do get quite annoying.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 03:44:51 PM »
After further literal crash tests, I'm reversing the above decision: the steam version of RTW gold just crashes too often with the giants as they are :(