Author Topic: Tales From Windy Meadow - fantasy pixel art Visual Novel  (Read 65185 times)

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
Re: Tales From Windy Meadow - fantasy pixel art Visual Novel
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2017, 05:06:00 PM »
Happy #screenshotsaturday!

We visually updated the main heroes of Tales From Windy Meadow. Do you also think we made a right step? : )

In the following weeks we're going to introduce you these characters and share some new information about their personality and background. You can also find some additional info in our recent IndieDB devlog.

Roadwarden - an illustrated text-based RPG in which you explore and change a hostile, grim realm. Currently in development.
Tales From Windy Meadow - my fantasy pixel art Visual Novel.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2017, 06:38:52 PM »
Hm - it's good though I think the faces may still need playing with a little. The new style is expressive, which is nice, but especially on the middle one of the trio it feels odd, the face is very symmetrical/looks straight forward despite the body and head appearing to be rather more angled, if that makes sense?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 05:27:57 PM »
Well hello there!
Tales From Windy Meadow just landed on our website! (We’re going to change the logo, though. ; ))

It’s also a great opportunity to share with you the description of one of our three protagonists - Vena, the huntress. What do you think about her?

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! : )

Roadwarden - an illustrated text-based RPG in which you explore and change a hostile, grim realm. Currently in development.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2017, 08:15:49 PM »
That's a really nice outline, good stuff! :)

What kind of dangerous beasts are we talking here/what are they hunting that involves spears? Boar would be the obvious, I guess, but if her parents are hunters to feed themselves I feel like bows to take down deer are a more natural fit - which isn't to say Vena should switch weapon, the spear is very cool, I'm just wondering if it might be nice to add some ingame explanation linked to that choice and have her deciding to adopt the spear as her weapon specifically because she wants the adrenaline-rush of taking down more dangerous beasts.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2017, 09:32:56 PM »
Hi there, Jubal! A complex topic that deserves a complex answer. : )

In the Viaticum setting (the one in which both The Tavern and TFWM are set) there is no real distinction between animals and monsters (beasts). The general understanding is that animals are small, monsters - larger and more dangerous, but it's completely subjective. You can still find small rodents, cute birds or a house cat, but many animals are mostly present in their wilder forms. For example, a sheep in our world is a huge beast with a couple of horns and an ability to easily trample a hostile human. 

You mentioned a boar, and it's surely a good example. However, it's difficult to find a boar similar to the ones we know from Europe. We actually plan to show a boar in our game, and we want to portray it as this giant beast with large tusks and spikes spread all over its body. Basically, in Viaticum humans are not the dominant species. We need to be clever. Or at least run fast.

Predi, Vena's mother, is a master arbalist. Sometimes you have only a single shot, and a bow may not cut it. A good crossbow is much more reliable.
Latro, Vena's father, is the one who mastered the art of the spear. It's a defensive weapon, one that can be thrown and one that can be used from a good range even in a melee battle. When a huge beasts jumps on you, you don't want a sword or an axe. You want to stab it and run away. And Vena is very, very impressed by her father. To the point where she probably wouldn't change her weapon of choice even is she would find it tempting.

When Predi and Latro were hunting together, they were often facing their game in the open battle. However, when Predi got sick and Latro was forced to hunt with young Vena, they started focusing on traps and keeping each other safe.

Also, they don't hunt to feed themselves. It's too dangerous and too difficult to live solely from hunting. But at the same time, animal trophies are worth a lot. Bones, tusks and feathers are used by craftsmen, rare meat is considered to be a luxury, furs and skins are essential for many trades. Some trophies are also valued by alchemists and other magicians. Overall, Vena's family is fairly rich, one of the richest in Windy Meadow... but I don't think she realizes how much she already has in her life.

-------

In the game not every information will be put as bluntly like that. A lot of things will be only suggested through some conversations or graphics. : ) Explaining things can be nice, but it's pretty boring for most of the player, myself included.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2017, 10:41:18 PM »
Ahh, that makes sense - thankyou for the info, good world-building! :)

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2017, 05:05:18 PM »
Say hello to Fabel! : )

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2017, 05:52:08 PM »
Nice! As a spoken-style storyteller myself, I think I'm going to like this guy :)

A few spelling/grammar points for this one, btw:
> First line, I think "Fabel has experienced" would read better
> "Not only were his parents killed," is the correct version.
> The "Why did he choose" has to be a question the way it's phrased, so it should either be "Why did he choose to adopt the boy? It remains a mystery." OR the non-question version would be "Why he chose to adopt the boy remains a mystery."
> "Once he realised that he was pretty good" would work better I think, keeping the tense consistent
> "Should he follow" rather than "Should he follows"

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2017, 08:46:18 PM »
Thank you! I'll fix it later on.

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2017, 04:52:53 PM »
I hope I didn't ruin anything this time! : P

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2017, 08:40:05 PM »
This one's mostly right! The first sentence should be "Lucidia didn't even notice her 21st birthday.", but I think the rest of it is basically fine :)

And another really nice character idea/portrayal as well :)

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2017, 05:31:56 PM »
Another #screenshotsaturday, another time for a major update!

Through November we described three protagonists - Vena, Fabel and Iudicia - who are staring in Tales From Windy Meadow, our #pixelart fantasy Visual Novel. Now, with our new logo and some spelling fixes it's a good moment to group all the descriptions together.

Starting next week, we're going to focus a little bit more on the Windy Meadow itself - the area designs and the mood we're looking for. You can expect a new YouTube upload as well. The programming of the game had to be postponed, but we still hope to share with you the game's gameplay in December. : )

Also - I wanted to thank you, Jubal, for helping us with the grammar. : )

We hope you're going to have a fantastic weekend!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2017, 10:34:26 AM »
Glad to help - and I really like the new logo, too, good work! :)

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2017, 08:26:50 PM »
Thank you for sharing our progress in the November update! I missed it before since I was out of town, but I appreciate it a lot. : )

For this ScreenShotSaturday we made a small video showing some of our concept arts as well as the music examples.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2017, 10:29:31 PM »
No problem, it's what we're here for!

The video works well I think - and I really like the music style, too, it's good :)