Author Topic: Narnia TW Users' Guide & FAQs  (Read 7196 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Narnia TW Users' Guide & FAQs
« on: October 16, 2017, 11:03:23 PM »
Narnia Total War 1.0: The Users' Guide

Hi there! This thread will be a guide to some of the special features, micromods, and gameplay variation in Narnia TW, to help you all get the most out of the mod. Please ask gameplay questions and discuss any gameplay related ideas/thoughts in the comments below! (Also please do not ask installation questions in the comments below: there are other places for that!)

CONTENTS
  • Faction overviews
  • Plot Quests
  • Tweaks & additional features
  • FAQs

Faction overviews

Kingdom of Narnia

Unit List:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kingdom of Archenland

Unit List:

Kingdom of Terebinthia

Unit List:

The Lone Islands

Unit List:

Telmarine Narnia

Unit List:

Kingdom of Telmar

Unit List:

Kingdom of Koraly

Unit List:

Wasteland Marauders

Unit List:

Realm of Harfang

Unit List:

The Dwarfen States

Unit List:

Calormene Empire

Unit List:

Lands of Munesh

Unit List:

Umbuso of Surval

Unit List:

Erinese Confederation

Unit List:

Other/Rebel/Special

Special Unit List:

Plot Quests
Plot quests are a set of additional buildings and map features that allow you to re-enact certain plot points from the Narnia books. These currently exist for Narnians to act out events from Prince Caspian and Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and for the Wasteland Marauders to bring up the Lady of the Green Kirtle's army from The Silver Chair.

Birthright
(Kingdom of Narnia: based on Prince Caspian)
This loose "plot quest" is the simplest and just takes the form of some extra unique item/character ancillaries that can be discovered through the campaign to help aid Caspian as he retakes different parts of Narnia.
  • Trumpkin & the Horn of Susan will return to Caspian a few turns into the campaign
  • Peter's sword Rhindon can be discovered after retaking Cair Paravel. Leave Caspian in Cair Paravel to search for it.
  • Lucy's vial can be discovered around the Lamp-Post. Leave Caspian in Chippingford to search for it (and yes, I'm aware that this is non-canon and the vial was actually near Cair Paravel in the books).
Both Cair Paravel and the Lamp-Post can trigger certain additional events and ancillaries: if Cair Paravel has a shipwright, and the castle is still standing, Drinian, the captain in Voyage of the Dawn Treader, can also be found there. Which leads us on to...

To The World's Ending
(Kingdom of Narnia OR Kingdom of Terebinthia: based on Voyage of the Dawn Treader)
In this quest, Narnia or Terebinthia can get one exceptionally powerful bonus ancillary, the Child of Ramandu, and bonus dufflepud ancillaries for other generals. If you conquer Bernstead on the Lone Islands, there you'll be able to build a special additional building to represent the time taken on & preparing for the voyage. For Narnia, this building is called the Voyage of the Dawn Treader: the Terebinthians get a non-canon equivalent, the Voyage of the Wavecutter, which has the same effect.

From Earth to Sky
(Wasteland Marauders: based on The Silver Chair)
In this quest (probably my favourite one in the campaign, and perhaps the toughest to complete), the Wasteland Marauders can tunnel down to Bism and free the Earthmen. The requirements are as follows:
  • Capture the ruins near Harfang (aka "Ruinota").
  • Construct the Tunnel to Bism
  • Construct a sacred circle of the Lady of the Green Kirtle
Getting both buildings built is tough, especially as this involves defeating some of the giants of Harfang (for which sorcerors are your best choice) and growing Ruinota to city size (raiding Narnian/Telmarine cities and enslaving the populace can be good to help build the population upwards). Once both buildings are constructed, you should get two unique units available: Earthmen of Bism (a spear unit), and Archers of Bism. These are super-tough troops that come in HUGE numbers with low upkeep; both units have a base of 60 in them on normal unit sizing. I'd recommend building some longships at Farghalla and Jotunta if you want to transport them fast down from Harfang to Narnia!

Tweaks & additional features

This section will contain details of optional extra patches, file tweaks, etc.

Alternative Giants
The original Narnia: TW had giants coded as elephants, which had numerous advantages, especially the fun of giants being useable as a siege unit to batter down gates. Unfortunately, the recent steam version of RTW makes the elephant-giant system very unstable and crashes the game frequently. As such, I do not recommend people use them. If people want to use the unstable versions, though, they can follow the instructions below. This change does involve file editing, and if you mess up your copy of Narnia TW or any other files as a result I am not responsible.

Click the spoiler tag below for instructions:

FAQs

Q: I'm having trouble installing the mod!
A: Please see the guide here.

Q: How do I kill the Giant Kings in Harfang?
A: Most factions have some sort of high-damage unit that will make life more easy there. For the nearby factions, Marauder Sorcerors (Marauders), Talking Mice (Narnia), Scorpions/Scorpion carts (Terebinthia), Ballistae (Dwarf States), or Trebuchets (Telmarines) are good monster killers. Also Harfang is usually very heavily reliant on its rulers, and thus assassinations are quite a useful possibility.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:59:17 PM by Jubal »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

megustapracticar02

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Narnia TW Users' Guide & FAQs
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 05:58:02 PM »
Once again congrats for the full release (can't say that enough!)  :)
 So the quests thing seems to have some rather interesting mechanics. Now I've been modding for a few months an I'd like to know how your unique buildings (Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Tunnel to Bism, etc.) can only be built by a certain faction, and only in one province.
Is it a combination of a hidden_resource and requires faction ( narnia, ) in the export_descr_buildings, or is there a way to make a building require a special trait or ancillary from a general?
However hard you try, you cannot outwit a fool.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 11:44:24 PM »
Your first guess is correct, it uses hidden_resource and faction requirements :) I used that for all the quest items, also for eg Galmian sailor/Knight recruitment :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

megustapracticar02

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 03:14:51 PM »
So Jubal, I know that this isn't exactly the best place to ask this, but how do you change the campaign UI (as in which files)? In the mod, the end turn symbol is a clock, which I find really cool, so I'd like to find out how to do so.
(also good to know that you fully utilised my Temple of Tash description, though only a part of the Galmian Sailors one  :'(

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 09:21:53 PM »
Did I miss part of the Galmian Sailor one? I just checked the text file and it looks like the whole long description is there...

The file you want to edit the turn clock is data/UI/ROMAN/INTERFACE/STRATPAGE_02.tga
The rest of the UI files are in the same folder - the "Roman" one is always used by all factions :)

megustapracticar02

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 07:55:58 PM »
Thanks! Good to know...

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 08:04:03 PM »
No probs :) Let me know if you come up with any other interesting tweaks etc!

megustapracticar02

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 05:47:27 PM »
*grammar nazi incoming*
I know this may be rather annoying to you Jubal, but I've picked up a few errors (and I've got a question as well):
- it's not Teshishbaan, but Tehishbaan (without the first s). The mistake is pretty consistent, in the city name, in the Guards of Tehishbaan description as well (which are an awesome unit btw), should be corrected
- the settlement of Redhaven for the Seven Isles should be on the south western isle (isle of Brenn), not at the north eastern end.
- Drintport shouldn't even be a thing (though I assume it's for gameplay reasons?)
- wouldn't it be more appropriate if Cair Paravel was of roman/greek culture instead of being an egyptian city, or was it to stick in the Warhammer TW's (mod) pyramid model for the city to make it unique? I just looks weird, when you take Cair Paravel, having to fight in an egyptian town.
- again, convenience really, but perhaps set the date to the canon 2303 NY (2303 AD internally) to make sure years don't go in reverse.
- this is utter nitpicking, but perhaps something could be done about the Greek, Roman, Barbarian and Carthaginian names being thrown around? It would require a lot of work, but perhaps make an entire name catalog for the game? Two suggestions already: make 'Tarkaan' the only family name for the Calormenes; and add Gumpas as Governor of the Lone Islands when the game starts.

That's it for the corrections, so every time I quit the game (it all works perfectly), it crashes. No influence on the saves or anything, its just a bit rough. Haven't looked into it, but could it be because of adding new buildings to the Carthaginian culture in the export_descr_buildings file (at least that's the only reason it ever did that to me)?

Do consider rectifying these errors, maybe release a patch or something? But do continue doing what you do best :)

Megustapracticar02

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 12:34:40 AM »
It'll be some time before I get a chance to add these as a patch, I'm exhausted and have a lot of work at the moment, I've just been ill and need to catch up on a lot of stuff. Why not try it yourself? The changes shouldn't be complicated, I don't think, certainly the Tehishbaan edit is easy search & replace text editing - moving Redhaven a little more so perhaps, map_regions.tga is a fairly self explanatory file but you might need to tweak heights and ground types too. Where is it stated which isle Redhaven is on btw? I'd forgotten that extra details on the seven isles were ever mentioned.

- Drintport is indeed needed for gameplay - otherwise the Lone Islander AI gets confused.

- Cair Paravel being Egyptian is indeed required for the map icon change. You can patch it back easily in your version by changing the faction creator in either descr_regions or descr_strat (whichever one is "egypt"!).

- Date setting is in descr_strat.

- Names are fixable and just require editing of the two relevant files, I just don't have the time to do it this side of Christmas, especially as it's a pain if you get it wrong.

I might be able to try one or two of the more difficult bits of the above like the map edit if someone else is able to do the text editing jobs, but all of it is more hours than I have right now given that I have negative numbers of hours available at the moment!

Re the exit crash, there are AFAIR no new Carthaginian cultured buildings, and the game crash on exit doesn't happen for me. Are you using steam or non-steam RTW?

megustapracticar02

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 12:05:17 PM »
Huh weird, I use the non-Steam version btw. No clue why that may be. Will look into it.
About Redhaven, it's mentioned in the Dawn Treader (Redhaven on the island of Brenn) and it's also on the maps. I don't have too much time either, so it'll stay like that for some time probably.
Also noticed that you packed in a bunch of campaign savegames in the original folder, didn't look at them, what are they about? Or just some playtests ???
Anyways, hope you'll have *some* time after Christmas.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2017, 01:04:20 PM »
The bundled savegames are indeed just playtests :)

I use the steam version - there are some significant differences between the two and I've never worked out why. The old-style giants crashing the game all the time was I think only a steam version problem, for example.

megustapracticar02

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 05:42:44 PM »
Hey Jubal! Been away for some time. Hope all is well  :)
I was wondering what had happened to the menu soundtrack? Did you fear copyright problems? And also what's the name of the 'new' soundtrack?

Also my game doesn't crash anymore *phew* Seems pretty random.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2017, 09:01:58 PM »
I've just checked this - yes, I changed it for copyright reasons, and I can't remember the name of the new soundtrack :( I'll try and work it out sometime when I have more time. I think it might be written by Kevin MacLeod, but I'm not sure the exact piece I'm afraid.

megustapracticar02

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 02:36:38 PM »
Hello Jubal!
First of all - congrats for the upcoming tenth anniversary  ;D Truly a remarkable date for anything on the Internet.

So my question now is: can there be, should there be and will there be mercenaries in Narnia: Total War? When you play around there are no mercenaries at all ; descr_mercenaries is blank. Perhaps were you lacking time?

Though of course many peoples would be above selling their services to others, such as the Talking Beasts, there could be some mercenaries which I'll suggest here:

-Dwarfen Hirelings: recruitable in the territories of the Dwarfen States and Marauders, these avaricious Dwarfs will serve any who can pay. Expensive, but well-armoured and stout.
-Telmarine Wandering Knights: you can find these from Telmar to Narnia passing by Koraly, but rarely. Wandering Knights travel the world in search of adventure and payment. They come in small bands of cavalry armed in the Telmarine fashion.
-Pirates: found along the coasts and islands of the Great Eastern Ocean, the Pirates are light raiding infantry that can fight ferociously. Only if they'll win, though. Think Cilician Mercenaries in RTW vanilla.
-Rogue Tarkaans: the nobility of Calormen is difficult to control, and these lords have taken their household servants with them in rebellion. They will rally to anyone who can provide for their needs. Not too well armoured but determined.
-Dumb Giants: it's extremely difficult to find Giants to fight for you. A shame that they're so expensive - for all the food they eat - and that they'll often charge without orders. Get them anywhere north of River Shribble.

That's all for now, I could write descriptions if you need to, hope you'll appreciate them!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 11:13:27 AM »
Thankyou :)

I decided that there probably wasn't a huge amount to be added by mercenaries, in general, but the ideas you suggest are certainly reasonable ones. I don't think I'm likely to get time to add them myself any time soon - I'm quite ill at the moment and literally on doctor's orders not to take on additional projects - but if you or anyone else wanted to have a crack at adding them then I could offer advice & would be happy to add the resulting patch to the ModDB page.