Author Topic: Son of a Witch: Devlog and general discussion  (Read 94653 times)

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
Re: Son of a Witch: Devlog and general discussion
« Reply #645 on: November 27, 2020, 08:31:32 PM »
A couple a days ago I started to work full time on the next Son of a Witch update. I'm currently preparing all the art pieces for the hell level:

The plan is to make it an optional area which you can reach if you collect all the ingredients for a ritual in the catacombs. Going through hell would alter the story a little bit and allow you to take an alternate route through the game, skipping the ice level. I'm still not clear on all the details. I have a lot of possible ideas, but need to test them first. In any case, it should be the most challenging area of the game.

The update should also come with new weapons, pets, scrolls, potions, items and I plan to add more heroes using Jubal's skins. Those will all unlock by completing some quests in Hell.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #646 on: November 27, 2020, 08:41:05 PM »
Oh wow! Let me know when things need testing :)

Will you have any additional rooms for current levels? I think one or two of them could maybe do with extra possibilities for special rooms, which would help freshen up the replayability.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #647 on: November 27, 2020, 08:58:02 PM »
Oh wow! Let me know when things need testing :)

Don't expect it to be soon. I plan to add a lot of stuff, so it will be a month or two before it gets anywhere to "beta" stage.

Will you have any additional rooms for current levels? I think one or two of them could maybe do with extra possibilities for special rooms, which would help freshen up the replayability.

I didn't really think about it, but I have added it to my list now. The list of possible features/fixes/changes has about 230 items currently, so something will probably have to be discarded or I will have to work on it for the next 6 months :)

We shall see. I love working full time on SoaW again. It just feels good when you know there are so many players waiting for this update. So, maybe I will add more stuff than usual.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #648 on: November 27, 2020, 09:33:04 PM »
Hm, yeah... I think personally I'd put increasing variation in rooms/enemies higher than increasing options for e.g. weapons or potions by way of priority - I tend to feel that I get a good amount of diversity in equipment, and that quite a number of things require unusual combos to really work so I don't get to use them much already (like for example the weapons that do damage to you, which are really hard to make work without vampire blood potions). The occasional chance of variant enemies or slightly more room options I think would add more - especially the dungeon which only & always has the wolf wheel thing, and the desert which doesn't really have any unique special rooms.

But anyway, I'm just one person & I'm sure other people are giving you thoughts too!

This also reminds me, I made at least one or two more skins I've not released yet...
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #649 on: November 27, 2020, 09:43:11 PM »
especially the dungeon which only & always has the wolf wheel thing, and the desert which doesn't really have any unique special rooms.

The idea behind the dungeon one was that prices in shops are high and you might need to gamble if you see an item you absolutely need but cannot afford. Although, with Monkey pet and Steel boots not slowing you down, it became much easier to rob dungeon shops than before, so maybe a couple more special rooms would be a good idea.

The desert has the altar room, but yes, that's about it. I guess I never "finished" that level properly. I will have to add something there.