Author Topic: Superhero Storm  (Read 11659 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Superhero Storm
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 07:43:22 PM »
I might name my space-cop team the Heroes Of New Leeds and decide that New Leeds should be a space colony. :P
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 09:50:41 AM »
Hehe

In other news unfortunately some dude launched a superhero tt kickstarter ahead of me, different game style, different tone but still bites into the superhero market.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1794227864/kapow-a-fast-and-furious-superhero-dice-building-g
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 11:03:32 PM »
I'm not sure that's a problem - given the amount of time you'll want for playtesting and finalising details, you're probably still a good few months away from a KS, and Kickstarter games rarely keep biting into markets, because very few do more than the Kickstarter print run, so they tend not to keep eating market share once you're 12 months or so down the line.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2017, 11:37:57 AM »

I'm playtesting atm but really not too worried about that as the mechanics are pretty much lifted from different already successful games. The problem is still the same wrt playing, ending the game is clunky as hell as there's a time before the traditional ending state where one player is almost definitely going to win.

A lot of games have this problem that are very popular but I think if I can avoid it I should.

Uh I mean hypothetically if both go to sale then they'll still be competing surely? Not too worried about eating the KS crowd because I reckon that's more of an enthusiast space.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2017, 08:20:48 PM »
If both went to sale, yes, but that's a big if. My strong impression from folk in the business is that most of these KS games do the KS, that funds a print run, and then that's pretty much that - possibly the designer gets future print runs to sell themselves or supply to independent stores, but increasingly a lot of these sorts of boardgames are on a "do the KS, make the game for the backers, move on to the next project" business model.

I think my rule with playtesting is that you always need more than you think, and that the more people you playtest it with, the more possibilities will emerge. I'll have a think about catch-up mechanisms - you're right, one would definitely be useful in this sort of game.

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2017, 03:40:52 PM »
Ahh okay I hadn't appreciated that. Makes sense, thanks :D

Been looking through the RPG Masks http://www.magpiegames.com/masks/ (which is fantastic btw) and that's kind of spirit I want to evoke but without the teenage drama and more punching.

Their resources have been soooo helpful in inspiring me to create more heroes though so I'll be posting more of those in a little bit. But in case I forget, a classic tragedy in Coriolanus: a shell encasing a conflicted bad guy. A punk without agenda trying to make his city better one chaotic bolt at a time. A mysterious watcher, identity unknown, even to themselves - memory altering powers.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2017, 10:17:53 PM »
That does look cool - I'm thinking of starting an RPG group here after Christmas, probably playing in the same setting as Adventures of Soros, but I'm not sure what system to use for it.

I also haven't forgotten that I was meant to be writing down my ideas for some heroes, I've just not had time lately, everything's end-of-year-stress atm until I get back to the UK next week.

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2017, 12:08:53 AM »
It's a teenage drama simulator and I want to play it so badly! I'm hopefully starting one after xmas too, I have been hinting that an rpg rulebook would make a fantastic present :P

No worries and no rush mate, this is still in infancy :)

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2017, 10:02:16 PM »
Austrian Ballet Dancer - Can use a reactionary leap when opponents move into base contact. If success, the opponent moves two tiles through her (out of base contact). If hitting a solid object, roll for collision.

Basically the Juggernaut - must move full allowance of movement with a move action. If moving through a destructible object, destroy it. If reaching base contact with a hero (friendly or opponent) they move with you for the remainder of your move and will roll for collision if necessary. Always succeeds collision rolls him/her/their self.

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2017, 12:56:47 PM »
Speedster Max Swann

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2017, 03:50:18 PM »
So I've been trying to note down some ideas for a Somali mythology themed superhero team (since there seem to be Norse and Greek superheroes all over the place, I figured why not expand the idea!)

Ideas so far:
War Queen: Leader/Combat, based on the mythical Queen Araweelo.
Boulder: Super-Strength, based on "good giant" stories where giants saved villages by removing boulders from their wells.
Laughing Lightning: Magic/Movement, based on hyena-folk legends.

Thoughts? I feel like I need 1-2 more for a set.

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2018, 06:13:14 PM »
Those are awesome! I was going to go looking for some obscure mythology but they'll be for an expansion as the game currently doesn't allow for god-tier heroes.

To give an idea - the heroes now are about on the power level of watchmen (not Manhattan though ;)), falcon and hawkeye from avengers with like low tier x-men being about as powerful as it goes.

Further down the line I have loosely got ideas to create a higher risks game of weak heroes vs mob boss and minions, a challenge of the gods - all the mythology heroes fighting among each other to prevent or cause Gehenna (or Ragnarok, the completion of the Mayan Calendar, feast of souls, etc); and finally alien invasion which will tie a lot of the systems together with minions from the low-fi game, god tier alien foes from the second and a lot of the city destruction stuff from the base game. No idea on any specifics on that as I'm still focused on the base game :D

Having said that I'll definitely use the leader idea. Hadn't thought about that before. And although it may seem like a petty distinction I'd like to keep magic out of it for now as well. I realise I didn't specify that before but I knew even less what I was doing back then.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2018, 08:52:43 PM »
Yeah - the Somali myths I was using are pretty much all dealing with heroic but non-deity characters, which is why I thought of them for this. I think my idea for the the Hyena-being character could happily work without magic but as still being a trickster type character with good speed and carrying some smoke bombs or something. :)