Author Topic: Cromwell; Hero or Villain?  (Read 10871 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Cromwell; Hero or Villain?
« on: May 28, 2009, 07:24:10 PM »
Another slightly cruddy and very old Hero or Villain style essay, this focuses on Cromwell. I have very mixed feelings about him myself; he removed the monarchy, which was probably necessary, but he prevented the people being fundamentally free, which probably wasn't. I dunno if I still stand by all of this, so don't lynch me on it. Have a read; see what you think.

Oliver Cromwell
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Darkstar707

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 03:38:47 AM »
A "Cultist" is what I would call him. He obviously didn't act according to the Bible, thats for sure...

"When the Catholic rebels in Drogheda refused to surrender, after beating the rebel forces, he found that the remainder of the population was hiding in the church
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 03:47:42 AM by Darkstar707 »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 10:19:46 AM »
Cromwell was a bit of a nutter. Puritanism was very much based in repentance, but he kinda broke free of that and decided he was too awesome to need to repent.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Darkstar707

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 04:34:54 PM »
Quote from: "Jubal"
Cromwell was a bit of a nutter. Puritanism was very much based in repentance, but he kinda broke free of that and decided he was too awesome to need to repent.
Exactly.

Plus he was a hypocrite to the extreme.

Bridgeburner

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 10:13:52 AM »
Nice paper. The quote at the end is fantastic. Personally, as an observer who has no real cultural impact from Cromwell, he is a tragic figure. He was a true believer in what he thought was right. As history points to numerous times, believers are the most dangerous of men. It should be noted however that he was a man and seems to have fallen into that totalitarianism common of modern African rulers. Liberator turned despot. Interesting legacy indeed.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 12:03:37 PM »
I think the really interesting thing about Cromwell was that he broke the aura around our monarchs of godliness, and in a very sudden/brutal way. The fact we'd done that already set us up well for later democratic developments and probably helped Britain remain stable while France, for example, had its revolution and the other countries of Europe ended up in turmoil.

Bridgeburner

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 09:24:13 AM »
I cannot remember where but i oread an article that said Cromwell singlehandedly ended the Divine Rights of Kings. In one swift motion he sent shivers throughout the world. I always wondered if he actually thought what he had done would last or if he knew that the Royalists would return. I ponder on.