Author Topic: Archaeology Yays  (Read 2210 times)

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Archaeology Yays
« on: November 09, 2017, 09:29:04 AM »
Wagwan my good dudes, there may already be a thread for this kind of thing, in which case I am most horrifically ashamed.
Anyway, some super old stuff was found in a super old grave in Greece and its super fancy too
http://magazine.uc.edu/editors_picks/recent_features/unearthingamasterpiece.html

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Archaeology Yays
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 09:09:35 PM »
That's really interesting and super impressive! And definitely super fancy, yes. I feel like minoan/pre-classical Greek settings get kind of short shrift except in occasional Trojan war films or similar, but it's an amazing time period.

I don't think we have had a thread before for archaeology - I'm sure there'll be much more to post in this one :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 06:07:14 PM »
I feel like a lot of settings get a short shrift in western media and education tbf.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 09:52:36 PM »
Yes, very true :/ More archaeology goodness needed!
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 02:29:37 PM »
More archaeology WITH LASERS:

Sprawling Maya network discovered under Guatemala jungle

Researchers have found more than 60,000 hidden Maya ruins in Guatemala in a major archaeological breakthrough.

Laser technology was used to survey digitally beneath the forest canopy, revealing houses, palaces, elevated highways, and defensive fortifications. The landscape, near already-known Maya cities, is thought to have been home to millions more people than other research had previously suggested. The researchers mapped over 810 square miles (2,100 sq km) in northern Peten. Archaeologists believe the cutting-edge technology will change the way the world will see the Maya civilisation.

"I think this is one of the greatest advances in over 150 years of Maya archaeology," said Stephen Houston, Professor of Archaeology and Anthropology at Brown University.
Full article: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-42916261

This is really really awesome :)

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 04:34:00 PM »
Is cools.