Author Topic: Austrian News & Politics  (Read 9229 times)

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Austrian News & Politics
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2021, 08:42:44 AM »
What is the penalty for refusing the vaccination?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2021, 10:02:25 AM »
Not sure, I've not really paid attention to that bit because it won't affect me. But I'll report back when I see more details.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2021, 11:05:19 AM »
I've been fully vaxed myself but the thought of compulsory vaccinations do not sit well with me at all. I hope the booster vaccines don't become mandatory for healthcare workers here, I feel it's too much to give third doses to residents of wealthy nations who are already vaccinated when there are still billions of people in poorer countries who haven't had a single dose. But I won't really have much choice if I'm going to need a booster in order to attend placements.

Is there a lot of right wing support in Austria atm? IIRC the last presidential election very nearly led to a fairly far right president, I don't imagine lockdowns and vaccination mandates are going to help the left in the next election.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2021, 12:11:04 PM »
I agree, I don't like compulsory vaccinations and I think the European/Western hogging of doses overall is appalling. It's tricky to know how one does solve the anti-vaxx problem, that said: if we don't get very high vaccination rates then it continues imposing the cost (financial but also social and psychological) of repeated lockdowns, deaths, etc on everyone. Maybe a halfway house like some additional tax for non-exempt unvaccinated people to incentivise them and help cover the costs of that choice? I really don't know. I'd like not to have to put any pressure on anyone with these sorts of things but I'd also like to not have all this happening on repeat.

The far right are on about 20 percent or a bit above - they fell back quite a bit after the Ibiza Scandal and never fully recovered, they've gone very very full anti-vaxx. The left are actually not doing too badly: the people really hurting lately have been the centre-right who were very dominant until the recent scandals around Kurz (the current government is Conservative-Green). They're still leading in polls but they've dropped from a very dominant mid to high thirties to being only in the mid twenties in percentage terms, with most of the other parties gaining a little as a result. The Greens are holding about where they were at the last election, the Social Democrats are a couple of points higher, and the NEOS (right-liberals) are doing about four points better: on current numbers one could almost scrape together a Red-Green-Pink coalition and shut out the Conservatives and Far Right altogether, which hasn't been the case for a long while.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2021, 05:25:46 PM »
The far right are on about 20 percent or a bit above - they fell back quite a bit after the Ibiza Scandal and never fully recovered, they've gone very very full anti-vaxx. The left are actually not doing too badly: the people really hurting lately have been the centre-right who were very dominant until the recent scandals around Kurz (the current government is Conservative-Green). They're still leading in polls but they've dropped from a very dominant mid to high thirties to being only in the mid twenties in percentage terms, with most of the other parties gaining a little as a result. The Greens are holding about where they were at the last election, the Social Democrats are a couple of points higher, and the NEOS (right-liberals) are doing about four points better: on current numbers one could almost scrape together a Red-Green-Pink coalition and shut out the Conservatives and Far Right altogether, which hasn't been the case for a long while.
Ah, well that's good news at least (for me anyway). I'm guessing the anti-vax sentiment is low enough that it's not really going to gain support for far right movements, particularly since a lot of anti-vaxers are actually part of ethnic minorities (from what I've seen there seems to be a lot of conspiracy theories about the vaccines being linked to eugenics, which tbf seems more likely than mind-control microchips.)

As to the actual effect of vaccines, it doesn't seem to reduce transmission (with new variants becoming prevalent that is) but it does biggly reduce severity of infection and mortality rate. So widespread vaccination won't necessarily reduce the need for lockdowns, although it should ease pressure on hospitals. I suppose it's theoretically possible to pass a law stating that healthy people who choose not to get vaccinated for covid can't receive treatment from public health-services if they test positive for covid but I'm not sure how feasible that would be in practice or how well it would sit with anyone.

dubsartur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2021, 10:13:08 PM »
I agree, I don't like compulsory vaccinations and I think the European/Western hogging of doses overall is appalling. It's tricky to know how one does solve the anti-vaxx problem, that said: if we don't get very high vaccination rates then it continues imposing the cost (financial but also social and psychological) of repeated lockdowns, deaths, etc on everyone.
The other issue is that Austria eliminated the virus outside of Vienna in summer 2020.  We came so close!  But with the more infectious variants we seem stuck in this cycle of half measures other than vaccination.  And with the more infectious variants the vaccination rate would have to be very high to stop the disease from circulating.

How have public health advice in Austria been?  In BC the public health authorities have been very slow to withdraw advice to do burdensome things which don't seem to help (like cleaning your hands before you enter shops, or quarantining books returned to libraries, or wearing transparent face shields).

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2021, 10:25:56 PM »
The biggest problem with Austrian public health advice is that it's mostly correct but far too complicated. Part of that is that it's administered at state level whilst people get their news nationally, so it's very hard to actually tune the messages to how things work for people locally. But also there tend to be far too many variable standards rather than trying to get people to enforce one - so for example there's the "3G" system for entry to stuff - tested, vaccinated, or recovered, all of which start with a g in German. But then that's also spawned 2G, and it's often not obvious to people which of the 3Gs is left out in 2G, or when that's occurring. And then we've now also got 2.5G and 2G+ for different variants of what sort of tests are allowed and when, at which point nobody can remember what the hell is going on.

The stuff that's simple - like e.g. FFP2 masks on public transport and in shops - works well. The rest not so much, especially outside cities where rural towns and shops just don't enforce things.

I don't think the near-elimination in 2020 really registers with people here now any more or affects things much. There's a general acceptance, I think, that we were always going to have some issues once borders were open, we've just got too many neighbouring countries to wipe it out and do a New Zealand.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2023, 06:03:31 PM »
Apparently lax enforcement has made Vienna knce again the espionage capital of Europe:
https://www.ft.com/content/f790d8f4-2fe1-466d-8b29-83b1f4956984

Meanwhile the FPÖ (far right) are at 28 percent and six points clear of the conservatives and social democrats in the polls, with the Beer Party polling easily enough to reach parliament and the Communists hopping around the threshold mark.