Author Topic: US Politics 2018  (Read 9818 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: US Politics 2018
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2018, 06:13:52 PM »
Sadly, I don't think I expect Trump to explain them either... I'm just not sure you should be quite so trusting that he's right if you don't know what the basis for him saying this stuff is, I guess.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2018, 06:22:54 PM »
I never said I was. :P

comrade_general

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2018, 10:59:35 PM »
Your responses made me think of the nhs thing, and then I found this one xD

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2018, 09:29:26 PM »
Hue hue.
Hope he backs down from the new tariffs but I doubt he will. I'm not sure exactly why he's trying to impose them, I'd guess it's just an attempt to appeal to voters who think its going to help US businesses. Not sure how many voters would think that though.

comrade_general

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2018, 09:46:59 PM »
I think he's trying to encourage companies to make more things here and ultimately stay here.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2018, 09:58:04 PM »
We do actually have some numbers regarding how many voters think that: according to a recent Politico/Morning Consult poll, about 35% of US voters think the tariffs will help the economy, about 45% think they'll hurt it, the rest don't have an opinion. Interestingly, the same poll showed 38% of voters supporting the tariffs and 40% opposing them, implying there's some people who think it'll be bad for the economy but that Trump should do it anyway. Those numbers, especially the 35, are a step lower than Trump's approval (about 41%) or the GOP's generic ballot (about 39%), so on balance it seems like it'll probably lose Trump more votes than it gains, but it might be especially popular in rust-belt states and among Trump's base, so it may be that they're hoping it will be popular enough among core Trump voters to improve the rate at which they turn out to support the President.

Also of course in the US system, where you lose/gain votes really matters: if the free-trader republicans Trump annoys by this are mostly either living in solid red areas already, or are wealthy city-dwelling Republicans whose areas have already gone solid blue, then Trump can afford to lose them if he picks up suburban and rust belt voters in highly competitive areas, even if he picks up fewer than he loses numerically.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2018, 10:02:04 PM »
I've heard his approval is more like 44-45 the same as Obama at this point in his presidency.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/07/politics/trump-approval-nbc-wsj/index.html

Actually yeah, if CNN is saying that then it has to be - at least - that for them to admit it lol
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 10:08:14 PM by comrade_general »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2018, 10:22:05 PM »
I mean it depends poll by poll, I was using the FiveThirtyEight average. Some pollsters do have him in the mid forties (and one recently was as high as 47), others down in the high thirties, so generally the average has been wobbling around 41-42, with disapproval around 51-52. Of course most news outlets will report whichever poll they prefer, so I tend to use the averaging websites for this stuff. RealClearPolitics is the other main average/aggregation site and that runs more "raw" mathematical averages than 538, which uses things like past pollsters' ratings/errors to try and correct for the reliability of different polls more. In terms of their analysis pieces, 538 is probably a bit more critical of Trump whereas RCP is more conservative-leaning, but both I think produce perfectly good/useful data stuff.

Obama at this stage was on about 44-46 on both positives and negatives according to RCP (I don't think 538 has data going back that far), so Trump is (according to the averages) doing a bit worse, more because a larger number of people dislike him than because he's got a vastly lower approval rating. That said, last year Trump's average was more like 37-38, so he's certainly improved it since then, whereas Obama's popularity declined significantly from mid 2009 to 2010, was kinda flatlining through early 2010 and then his numbers really slumped around August 2010 when the midterm election campaign began. If Trump could keep improving his rating at the rate he's been going between now and November then he'd overtake Obama's equivalent number in late summer/early Autumn. On the other hand, it may be that when the campaign hits in his numbers will go down again from anti-incumbency sentiment - we'll see in a couple of months!

comrade_general

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2018, 10:29:50 PM »
Give it up, bruh. :P

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2018, 06:49:18 PM »
Some interesting recent polling points about how things are shaping up:

• The Republicans look like coming third in New Mexico - Gary Johnson is running as the Libertarian candidate and the GOP are down on like 11% as he looks to be taking most of their voters. The Dem there still has a hefty lead over both of them though.
  • Poll out today puts the Dem, Beto O'Rourke, only one point behind in Texas - basically it turns out that nobody likes Ted Cruz and the GOP are so lethargic there that the Dems might actually get an opening.
  • Still looks unlikely that Dems will win the Senate. Whilst AZ and NV are in play to be the two pickups Dems need, GOP also still have really good pickup chances of their own especially in Florida, Missouri, and North Dakota. Indiana, West Virginia, and Montana look like they might be a bit better for Dems than expected.
  • 538 give Dems a bit over a 70% chance of winning the House. That's decent for them but still has a lot of uncertainty - a 1 in 3 chance can come up pretty easily, and the chances of the GOP losing the popular vote but still keeping control of the House are pretty sizeable.

Gmd

• The one and only
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Quack
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2018, 04:48:53 PM »
Turned the news on for the first time in years today. Trump sitting at his desk surrounded by very basic graphs showing how bad future climate change is predicted to be and just saying “these scientists have a political agenda, I’m not committing money to it”.  Think I’ll dip out of US politics until something changes. Not like we’ve got to wait years before the moron is replaced and our own country isn’t wasting time on the train wreck that is brexit.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45859325
Bunneh and I Rule this land in the name of Supreme Lord Krishna.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") 

Give me my green name back!!! I am always Logothetes

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2018, 11:47:49 PM »
Yes, I just ignore most of what Trump does and look at the numbers because I understand those better. :)

Polling updated: basically, since my last post, a buncha stuff happened around a new conservative judge, but he got confirmed anyway as expected.

Dems are still going to lose the Senate - Florida has rallied a bit for them, IN and MT are going to be tight, MO is going to be knife-edge, North Dakota is as good as gone though and they're struggling in Nevada, and their two long-shots (Texas and Tennessee) seem to be fading in the home stretch. Beto O'Rourke still has an arsetonne of money to spend in Texas and has been breaking fundraising records though, so they may still have a better shot there than the polls suggest (I think it's unlikely though). Dems are probably going to win the House back though, the GOP is just too exposed and not popular enough and the usual swing against the President's party seems like it's likely to see the Dems home mostly from chasing a load of GOP congressmen out of blue states (California, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania especially look like going a bunch more blue and providing over half the seats the Dems need between the three of them).

So I guess some good news whoever you support, if you support one of the main two parties, and if you don't, as usual in US politics, sucks to be you :P It does still look quite likely that Gary Johnson will get a creditable second place in the New Mex senate race, which I still find funny mainly because everyone's fancy prediction models literally struggle to cope with the concept of a viable third party candidate, they're not built to handle the eventuality. Still really doesn't look likely that he'll win, though. I don't know why the Libertarian Party can't seem to get more good candidates in the west - like, statewide races in places like the Dakotas and Wyoming ought to be decent shots for them in some ways, especially since there's a bunch of those states where the Democrats are almost nonexistent so there's less competition. I keep meaning to write a piece on this and not getting round to it.

comrade_general

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2018, 01:33:40 AM »
Polling updated: basically, since my last post, a buncha stuff happened around a new conservative judge, but he got confirmed anyway as expected.

A bit more to it than that. :P

Mainly that it showed us that, outside of Hollywood, due process of law is still a viable protector against baseless accusation.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2018, 08:01:39 AM »
I have a different viewpoint as you might guess, but I'm not going to get into that argument now, I'm way too tired to argue US judicial procedures (which is of course why I skipped over talking about it).

comrade_general

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2018, 08:28:38 AM »
A different view from innocent until proven guilty??