Author Topic: Gloomhaven  (Read 4862 times)

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
Gloomhaven
« on: March 23, 2018, 10:09:29 AM »

I've been playing a great deal of Gloomhaven over the last few months. If you don't know what it is, you can get some details about it here.

My top level summary of it is that it is a tactical combat board game for 1* to 4 players where you have a persistent world, so your all of your actions, especially which scenario to play has a knock on effect to everything else.

Rough list of reasons I think it's great:

• There are absolutely loads of classes. The game starts with 6 or so available - the rest are all in sealed boxes and must be unlocked. You get given a life goal and once you achieve it you unlock a class, and you must retire your character. This means things keep getting changed up - starting with the obvious fact that you have a new character so abilities, equipment and tactics need to be adapted, which has a knock on effect to the whole party make up and tactics
  • Similar to the above there are loads of other various sealed boxes, envelopes, stickers and logs, so there is a continued sense of wanting to discover what the game has to offer
  • The abilities are represented by cards, and to use the abilities you must "spend" 2 every turn, then once spent you get all but one back. This means towards the end of scenarios you are in danger of having used up all of your cards and becoming exhausted. Essentially this makes for a very interesting set of tactical decisions since your cards are your resource
  • The story itself is well written and intriguing - embellished by some lovely card artwork
  • There is a good range of enemies, and the tactics for each room often need to be thought about very carefully

Things I don't like so much

• We aren't playing this massively frequently meaning sometimes I have forgotten what happened previously in the different  story arcs, so have difficulty making an informed choice about which scenario to choose next
  • Set up takes ages

We have a regular kernel of 2/3 players. One thing I like (that may be particular to our situation) is that there is a free slot that we can frequently fill with a guest adventurer which means we can see how various group make ups can shift the tactics we need to employ.

So has anyone else played this or interested in giving it a go? If so, any favourite classes / items / ability combos?

* There are a number of solo scenarios and I am aware that there are some people that play through these, and do the group ones in a pretend group but I personally would find that much less fun
<< Signature redacted >>

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Gloomhaven
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 11:09:40 PM »
This does sound very interesting, but I doubt I could get a regular enough group together :/ (Also if I ever can get a regular group together, I'm writing a Savage Worlds campaign to inflict on them!)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
Re: Gloomhaven
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 01:53:00 PM »
Haha fair enough. Here's a pic of a session from over the weekend to give an idea of what it's like (note the lack of dice too)

<< Signature redacted >>