Author Topic: [Dev Log] Tourney: The medieval tournament sim  (Read 25189 times)

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
Re: [Dev Log] Tourney: The medieval tournament sim
« Reply #180 on: December 04, 2020, 09:06:25 AM »
Other than how incredibly bored the crowd look here, I am quite happy with how the musician came out.

I wanted it to look lively and troubadour-like, and easy to spot in a crowd or when zoomed out. However she might be a bit anachronistic as a result. i.e. I'm not sure if female musicians of the day would have had a massive floppy hat like that. Or strummed the lute like that. I have not clue what song she might be trying to play there!

I will definitely have to do some dancing animations for the spectators.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #181 on: December 04, 2020, 01:51:57 PM »
Yeah, a clapping along anim or something for the crowd might help.

I don't know enough about medieval hat design to comment, but in any case it's not as if we're going for the highest level of realism here and it looks cool - and if anyone would get to wear a hat that silly, entertainer feels like be a good bet. Certainly I think one could link it to e.g. jesters wearing bright colours and motley. Lutes generally aren't strummed AFAIK, but the style I've usually seen them played in is finger-picking which would be invisible on this scale, so I agree with the choice to make it a strumming anim.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #182 on: December 05, 2020, 12:37:23 AM »
Hope the Kickstarter is successful mate. I've backed it, unfortunately not as high a tier as I wanted to, but work has been a bitch lately.

Good luck! :)
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #183 on: December 05, 2020, 08:43:01 AM »
Hope the Kickstarter is successful mate. I've backed it, unfortunately not as high a tier as I wanted to, but work has been a bitch lately.

Good luck! :)

Thanks very much! No worries, it all really helps!

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #184 on: January 18, 2021, 05:49:14 PM »
2021 is well underway, and the dust from the quite frantic end to December has well and truly settled.

kickstarter

I suppose that the main culprit for the dust I mentioned being kicked up was the kickstarter - which was successfully funded! So first off I wanted to say a big thanks to those of you that supported the campaign. It turned out to be a very close thing in the end - so that Tourney can go ahead as planned this year is fantastic, and really makes me want to make the game as fun as possible for everyone.

I will be doing some more in depth updates for kickstarter backers - but I will of course post progress updates here as well :)

So the wheels have been put in motion from a third party perspective, and those folks will slowly start churning out content. I, on the other hand, was already up and running - so here’s what I’ve been up to:

Top tier gear

The level I am moving on to work on next will be the first level in which some of the visiting knights will have all of the best gear on. So I have had my modelling hat on for the last few weeks. Here you can see the highest tier of armour. I decided to go with the names: simple, crusader, paladin (thanks Jubal!) and the top one I decided on was “gothic”, since it felt more like a type of thing you could buy from someone. It’s also the one name which is a real armour style, although this is a heavy reimagining.

To go along with it I needed to create a sword, bow, shield and lance that you can see in the top image.

I realise that some of those things are nothing like the equipment that would have been available in medieval times. That sword, for example, is more like something from a JRPG! I just couldn’t help myself.

Nobles

Something I have pretty much completed a while back but not really mentioned here is the implementation of nobility. Essentially visitors in the game are divided into 2 classes: peasants and nobles. Each class has a version of anything that you can build that they prefer. For example nobility stands, a jewellery wagon and pastry stand, all of which are favoured by the higher class. Here is my favourite, the jewellery wagon (with a few of the toffs wandering around in the background):

The amount of buildings & staff you put down for each class determines how many visitors of that type you attract. Ostensibly this just means that as a player you will want to build a range of things to ensure each dropoff vehicle is delivering a good amount of visitors.

Next:

Guards and robbers

« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 07:26:01 PM by Tusky »

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #185 on: March 21, 2021, 01:19:29 PM »
I didn’t post an update here last month D=

Sorry! To make up for it.. Here is a run down in what’s been finished since my last post...

Guard & Robbers

I’ve completed work on a new member of staff & mechanic. It’s a guard with some stocks.
The reason for the guard is to watch out for robbers. These more usavoury visitors will wander around your tournament outlets and steal a cut of your profits! You can send the guard off to catch them.
Then the visitors can have a lovely bit of target practice...

Wine Merchant

This is a vendor I implemented into the game a while back. The wine merchant provides slightly posher drinks to visitors than the humble ale wagon. This is one of several that nobles prefer to use - along with the jeweller and luxury pie seller.

Archery

A third event type to compliment the joust and the melee: archery. Pretty self explanatory, not much I need to explain about this, really. The mini game that goes along with this will be what I’m working on next - so the player can play the event insead of the AI. I was in two minds about how to implement the minigame. Whether to have is actually a skill based aiming mini game, or something to do with selecting tactics & so on like you do for the joust. I think that I’m going to go for something skill based, though.

Delivery Ship

Atlantis is sinking! So instead of a horse and cart, the visitors will come aboard this:

Will try not to leave it so long next time!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #186 on: April 11, 2021, 01:29:48 PM »
I like the use of the stocks :) They're one of those "underused in games" things I think, given they appear pretty often in medieval illustrations.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...