Author Topic: ANNIVERSARY COMPETITION: RESULTS AND FULL ENTRIES  (Read 3679 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
ANNIVERSARY COMPETITION: RESULTS AND FULL ENTRIES
« on: April 29, 2018, 04:47:50 PM »
10th ANNIVERSARY COMPETITION: RESULTS AND FULL ENTRIES

The results are in - a little late but better late than never! All of the entries we got for our 10th anniversary competition, on the theme of Exile, are here, and the announcement of the winners of course! Entries were judged by two judges (Jubal and Bigosaur) independently and on two separate metrics, the effectiveness of the piece and its response to the theme, for a total potential score of forty. The quality was extremely high overall - no entry scored below 32/40, and just five points separated the top and bottom scores. There could, however, be only one winner and one runner up, and they were...

THE GRAND PRIZE WINNER, with a massive score of thirty-seven points out of a possible forty, was PHOENIXGUARD09. His space-fantasy origin story impressed the judges both for its effective, powerful storytelling prose and its effective construction of an Exile's origin story. Phoenixguard will win copies of Son of a Witch, Empires of the Undergrowth, and Escape from Biostation, a poem by Jubal on a topic of his choice, and a custom SoaW skin created by Jubal!

THE RUNNER UP, with a solid thirty-five out of forty score, was TUSKY, whose short animation sequence of a man staring into a barren, smoke-filled wasteland and lamenting his bitter reward proved an evocative enough to just narrowly pip some of its competitors to the second place spot. Tusky will win one copy of Empires of the Undergrowth, one copy of Escape from Biostation, and one poem to be written on a topic of his choice.

But of course, everyone gets one of the biggest prizes, and that's the showcase of all the entries! From suffragettes to space flight and song to strategy game, there's a fantastic range of pieces here and we do encourage you to check them all out!

All The Entries

THE GRAND PRIZE WINNER:

We had a home once.

In all the vastness of the known multiverse, we had a home, one singular pocket of existence in which every factor was conducive to the formation of my people. A place where we grew, loved, created and thrived. My people were considered great builders, the finest in all creation. We built structures, on scales barely imaginable, from dwellings which towered above and beyond any natural feature on any number of the worlds we discovered, to the most minute adaptations in the smallest of organsims which populated those worlds. Our mastery was absolute, and so we travelled, always seeking further frontiers to explore and to improve, to make more like our home.

As we travelled, our home grew more distant, and my people began to grow weary of creation. Our home, that place of light, love and laughter became a place where we fought and destroyed, tearing down the creations of others to further the goals of oneself. It is the way of conflict that it escalates, and each advancement requires further expenditure of power in order to overcome the enemy. For my people, that advancement, or more specifically, the power expended to obtain it, spelt doom.

We were not as alone in the stars as we thought. Truly, we had known for millennia of the many and varied forms of life which populated innumerable worlds across the breadth of creation, but ever were they of lesser stature than ourselves, such that many of our people at first viewed them as something to be improved upon and taught, moulded into something greater. In more evil times, some viewed these beings as potential tools and weapons, mere collateral damage in the what became the war among the stars.

We did not know, nor even conceive that there were beings active in the cosmos with power that matched our own, let alone exceed it. Not until it was too late.

Drawn by our reckless use of power like moths to a flame, they fell upon our home out of the void, scattering my people across the stars. The lights of our world dimmed, what little laughter there was left, died. The hammers stopped ringing in the forges, the wars ceased and creation halted. Our home was lost to us. We were exiled.

I found myself on a new world, and harboured the survivors of my family, all the while dwelling in uneasy peace with some few others of my kind, who themselves took residence in other regions on the same world. With only small touches of power, we aided the extant creatures of this world, granting them knowledge and culture. My family took residence in the great forested mountains, and the diminutive peoples which dwell there called us the Ri-Foraoirse, the Forest Lords. They served us, as they would, though we asked of them nothing.  When the Sidhe arrived, themselves seeking to escape a something which threatened their home, we agreed to shelter them and asked of them no price.

Deep in the woodlands, we began to build something like home, but as it was in the beginning, that wholesome light-filled place of music and life. Hidden away, to safeguard our creation from any and all outside threats, we shared our new home with the Leathe and the Sidhe and all was well. Even the revelation of the sickness which dwelt in the core of every Sidhe was something which could be solved, with the creation of the Gealai Aisling, a safe place for the Sidhe to go when they grew weary of existence.

Then word reached us that our enemy had found us and that my estranged kin were being hunted and killed for their power, which while only used in small touches as required, over millennia had accumulated. Deep in the forest, we will be safe for a time, but all know that our time is short and this time there will be no escape.

I am a dreamer, an artist, a king and a father. I am known as Mor'Righ-Glas to the Leathe. I lost my home and soon I fear, I will lose my life.

I am an exile.

THE RUNNER UP:

THE OTHER ENTRANTS:
These are in no particular order.

HanSolo - The Exile (Poem)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Naky93 - Images of Exile (Artwork)

SLiV - Maere, the Thrice Exiled (Poem)

Caradilis - The Exile's Lament (Song)

THE NON-JUDGED ENTRIES:

Yes, we've still got two more to go! The judges couldn't resist getting in on the action, and whilst of course we couldn't judge our entries, we've got a couple more links to extra Exile-themed fun for your entertainment and delight. Bigosaur entered the early stages of his sci-fi story After Doomsday - you can check out the draft copy here. Jubal meanwhile, fresh from recently releasing his Whovian adventure game LIFE, took the Exile theme as the starting point for his new game The Exile Princes, a madcap mix of medieval manuscripts, Exilian memetics, and much more! Do check it out!

And that's your lot! Stay tuned for future competitions, and many thanks to everyone who entered, as Exilian sails on into its second decade of existence. Exiles forever!
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

Re: ANNIVERSARY COMPETITION: RESULTS AND FULL ENTRIES
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 04:52:54 PM »
Well done all.

Caradìlis

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 05:22:15 PM »
Wow, this is great stuff, thanks for sharing... :)
"Those who don't beieve in magic will never find it." - Roald Dahl

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 05:33:54 PM »
Wow, runner up! Thank you very much.  O0

Great submissions by everyone too. Well done.
<< Signature redacted >>

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 04:00:03 AM »
Some great stuff there by all.

Congratulations Tusky. :)
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

SLiV

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 11:11:22 PM »
Great work all! Nice to read all of the submissions.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 09:07:39 AM »
Yeah, these were all great :) Was a hard one to judge, well done everyone!
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...