Author Topic: Mortal Engines  (Read 4156 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Mortal Engines
« on: June 08, 2018, 01:08:01 PM »
It's books, and now it's going to be a new Peter Jackson franchise...

NOTE: TRAILER IS QUITE SPOILERY IF YOU'VE NOT READ THE BOOK:

Thoughts? It looks like it might actually be good fun. Though Valentine is a lot more grim-looking than I'd imagined him, I always had him down as a much slicker, smilier, less villain-coded bad guy. Anna, Tom, and Hester all look pretty cool. Interesting that Shrike wasn't in the trailer.

I should really re-read the books sometime...
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

Re: Mortal Engines
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 01:16:14 PM »
Hopefully he doesn't screw it up like ze Hobbitus.

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 01:22:33 PM »
I think it looks amazing - I've not read the books but remember the trailer I think from SW:TLJ  and love the idea. I think given it's about really big things I think it'll benefit the Peter Jackson aesthetic. So long as [what CG said]

This premise is also roughly similar to a game idea I was toying with so glad I didn't go with that or everyone would have said I was a dirty idea stealer.

Which I'm not.

<< Signature redacted >>

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 01:53:25 PM »
Yeah. I think they'll be more careful with Mortal Engines (not least because Philip Reeve is still alive and would be pissed off at them), and it's got a lot more pulp-adventure bits and cinematic moment and tropes anyway so it's better suited for big-budget epicry than The Hobbit i think.

For those who don't know, the original series is a tetralogy, going Mortal Engines -> Predator's Gold -> Infernal Devices -> A Darkling Plain, though the second pair of books is set IIRC about 16/17 years after the first, so it includes another generation of characters. There's a few bits I bet they'll change a bit for the cinema, but it should mostly be a pretty friendly series to PJ's film style I think.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...