Author Topic: Mafia/RPG?  (Read 3692 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Mafia/RPG?
« on: June 09, 2018, 05:56:44 PM »
I think I should run a game of something since CG did the last one :)

Maybe a mafia, or I could run some kind of small RPG if we've got say 3 people who'd be interested in that?

Comment what you'd be interested in playing.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

Re: Mafia/RPG?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 05:58:17 PM »
In.

Oh. Mafia I guess.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 06:18:39 PM »
I wonder if there's a way to design a more workable 3 player game, maybe by having dummy players of some kind...
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 06:24:22 PM »
I thought of that on the last one. The other thought was doing blind votes so at least the killer (you) can't just sit back and wait for the first person to hopefully not vote for them.

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 06:28:10 PM »
Sure!

Not sure what RPG game would look like so can't say if i'd rather do that... but mafia would be fine too with some sort of dummy players

<< Signature redacted >>

Caradìlis

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 10:03:33 PM »
I will of course join, since you all need your first innocent victim :P
"Those who don't beieve in magic will never find it." - Roald Dahl

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 10:21:09 PM »
OK, 3 player game idea. Let's test this out.

THE ECSTASY OF SILVER
A western themed not-quite-a-mafia by Jubal

DRAMATIS PERSONAE (And win conditions)
Jack Atkin: Wins by surviving to endgame with the Scar dead and 3+ clues held by remaining players.
La Musaraña: Survive to endgame with 3+ clues held by remaining players. You must hold more clues than any other remaining player to win.
The Scar: Survive to endgame with Atkin dead and 2+ clues held by remaining players.

CLUES: these are items or bits of knowledge that will ultimately lead you to the prize - however, the more of them you hold, the slower your reactions - more things in your pockets, or ideas buzzing round in your head, which can be fatal in a shootout. The order of gunshots in R3 is thus determined such that the person with fewest clues goes first.

All player actions are taken in secret, but the players can publicly discuss things in each round. The round ends as soon as all three players have submitted an action.

ORDER OF PLAY

Round 1: Fire Bush Gulch

All: Give 1 clue to another player.

All players will then be informed how many clues they have.

Round 2: The Saloon

Atkin: Unload 1 other player's primary gun, making it useless in the shootout, AND give 1 clue to another player.
LM: Steal up to 2 clues from one other player AND give 1 clue to another player
Scar: Load a second gun (which may be fired at a person of Scar's choice AFTER all 3 players have fired their first shot), AND give 1 clue to another player.

All players will be again informed how many clues they have.

Round 3: Mexican Standoff

Shootout. Each player decides who to shoot.

Nb that simultaneous shots CAN happen.

Results of the game will then be announced.

If everyone is happy with this, then I'll write up the starting thing and distribute the roles :)

comrade_general

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 12:54:22 AM »
Seems very complicated, but okay. :P

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 06:27:00 AM »
Ok - sounds interesting. A lot to take in!

If all player actions are taken in secret - what information should someone use to try and figure our who is playing the other 2 roles?
<< Signature redacted >>

Caradìlis

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 09:22:53 AM »
Sure :)
"Those who don't beieve in magic will never find it." - Roald Dahl

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 10:30:48 AM »
So you'll still find out how many clues you have at each stage, and can promise other players clues (or no clues) if you want, which can be a way of building alliances and finding out who to trust. In other words, like in Mafia you find the results of the night actions to go by. I might bump it up to two clues out each in round one and 4/3 for the win conditions to give players more options there.

Also note that it's more heavily in the Scar's interest to lie, because otherwise Atkin will unload his gun. The Scar however cares less about keeping LM alive because he's less likely to need the extra clues, so in the event that both Scar and Atkin shoot LM, Scar usually wins with gun #2.